H/U Help 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: H/U Help
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Okay, so I bought a Sony R5610 H/U today and trying to install it was hopeless. Is there any documentation on what all the wires coming from a Fairmont dash are for (the stereo wires that is). In the Sony manual it does say what all the wires that comes out of it's port thing (which has to be plugged in the back of Sony H/U), what they all are for.

Here is a picture of the plug and wires supplied with the H/U:

And here is the back of the Sony H/U:

Do I have to remove the plug from the Fairmont dash wires, strip them, and connect them up with the wires coming from the plug and wires supplied with the H/U? Would be good if there is some very detailed documentation on this as I know barely anything about auto electronics. Otherwise I'll be paying $90 at autobarn for them to set it up. Unless ofcourse some Brisbanian knows of a cheap place on the southside to get your H/U hooked up?

Thanks lads.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

you can buy adaptor plugs from places like supercheap autos etc which connect the factory plugs to the aftermarket plugs. that, or strip the wires! :P its easier than you may imagine really - black = earth, red & yellow are your power, and the others are the + & - for each speaker! :wink:

ps - your avatar freaks me :?

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

doesnt anyone look through the modifications documents any more?
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=27

Banned

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Just wanted to ask a bit because I feel I could f**k it up. And why are there two plugs that went into the mid series deck and this sony h/u only has one? You guys said supercheap had torx sets too, but the tard there somehow thought I meant torque even though I showed him "T20 Torx" on my mobile, lol. Anywho, thanks for help peeps.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

O, and another quick query, should i unplug the battery while stripping and connecting those wires? If I go that way (which I think I may as I have no patience and can't wait till tomorrow, lol).

And lastly with the plug and wires coming from the dash, how should i get to the tip of the wires? Can I just rip the wires from that plug or is there a proper way to do it? (to prep them for the stripped sony h/u wires)

@uglybob: That's Bison from the Street Fighter film, played by the late Raul Julia.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Last edited by Rick_Deckard on Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:53 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

Till_Lind wrote:
O, and another quick query, should i unplug the battery while stripping and connecting those wires? If I go that way (which I think I may as I have no patience and can't wait till tomorrow, lol).

@uglybob: That's Bison from the Street Fighter film, played by the late Raul Julia.

yes! def unplug the battery! haha i'm speaking from experience here! :lol:

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

uglybob wrote:
Till_Lind wrote:

yes! def unplug the battery! haha i'm speaking from experience here! :lol:

Hehe, I have a feeling that experience may be similiar to when I was trying to fix an old computer when I was young and still had the power on (zap!), correct? Lol.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Guys guys, quick, I want to get out there in the cold night and hit this. How do I remove the wires from the plug that protrudes from the inner dash workings? (the white factory plug)

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

you mean the plug that goes into the HU? just cut the wires off about an inch from the HU plug, and go from there

either use a terminal block or solder and heatshrink/electrical tape to join the factory wires to the sony's siring

as for why ford used 2 plugs..... f**k if i know, but i'm guessing there's a good reason.... either that or they just wanted to make people wonder wtf kinda drugs the engineers were on......

Banned

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Jesus, anyone else had problems mounting the bloody things in the dash? This mount that comes with the sony is nothing like the mounts on the Fairmont h/u. Front sits okay, but back doesn't, and there is no way of screwing anything in with what I currently have.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Modify the factory brackets to fit the sony HU by drilling holes in the bracket (not HU) Easiest way is to sit the factory HU and the new one both on thier side with face same postion to sit in dash. Then with a set square transfer a line on new head unit the same position as the factory HU at rear of bracket. The bracket should always be mounted in the centre horizontal position on the new HU. Use a centre punch to make an indetation to make drilling psitioning of the new hole easier. You may have to use so it is flay when screws are tightened (make sure srews for new HU are not too long as you will do damage internally)

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hmmm, well I did give up on mounting for now, but it's sitting there okay at the moment. Whole install went well, suprisingly, though my electric arial doesn't go up. Which is weird, as when I reconnected the battery the arial made it's little noise that it does when you do give it power again. Any ideas?

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Man the sound is so good now, and that's just on stock speakers.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

how did u post that pic cause i have no idea!

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:08 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: BA XR6 turbo

ACT, Australia

ok u got the wiring done cool with the ariel are u shure u put it on the ariel controle wire or is it possibale u put it on the remote power wire??? there is something for u to look at and with mounting on the stock brackets if u take them off and look at them thee are three little holes up the front in a triangle shape if u drill out a hole in the middle of the holes that is the right spot to mount it up with and if u want u can put some tape round the back to hole the back part but i just do them up tight. any questions give me a holler.

If you think life is bad. Imagine being a egg...you only get laid once, you only get smashed once and the only bird that sits on your face is your mum!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next