Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

fcollingwood wrote:
outlawxr6 wrote:
fcollingwood wrote:
-GAS-MAN- wrote:
Running 8gauge into the positive terminal from the distribution block should be enough, something you may not know is that you should run a BIGGER NEGATIVE lead, as the power comes from the negative terminal :)
I run 4gauge into the boot, fuse under the bonnet to the distributor, 8gauge to the amps and 4gauge negatives.

One amp has the negative wire wrapped around the big screw holding the gas tank down, then it duck taped up :)
Matt

Erm.......rubbish!

The formula for power is P=IV, or P=I^2R. The higher the resistance of the cable, the less current it is able to carry without behaving like a fuse. As the current flowing through both the cables is the same (electrons don't get lost, or consumed.....), you want the longer cable to be heavier gauge than the shorter. It makes sense to just spec big-a*** cable for both.

You are quite correct about the direction of electron flow though (Neg to pos). Any electronics/electrical engineer (Myself included) will tell you that "holes" flow positive to negative

Exactly, it is a phallicy that the cables need to be the same size as it is dependent on the current and the cable length, it is a cosmetically good thing to do but it has no basis in ohms law that the super short ground cable has to be the same size as the much longer positive cable let alone needing a larger ground cable which is total crap......

Yup - I forgot to mention the fact that the longer cable would have a higher resistance, therefore should possibly be the heavier gauge, if there is going to be a heavier gauge in the set up.

outlawxr6 wrote:
It is amazing some of the garbage that gets sprouted about car audio....

Yup too, I see the same in home theatre, and in IT, but I have noticed the cowboys in the industry slowly disappear.

I don't think we will ever get rid of the cowboys from the car audio field, unfortunately....

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Has any 1 done a home installation in a wagon, no sub woofer, i wanna know where u run cable to amp wiv out electrical interferance buzz & speaker wiring. only started when i installed front speaker's? Has taken me 2 month's & ave gotten no where but it works.

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

aussiewheelz1971 wrote:
Has any 1 done a home installation in a wagon, no sub woofer, i wanna know where u run cable to amp wiv out electrical interferance buzz & speaker wiring. only started when i installed front speaker's? Has taken me 2 month's & ave gotten no where but it works.

Sorry mate - I only help people who I can understand (i.e. this is a forum, not a text message - try typing your request in ENGLISH).

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

I would like to know how you do a "home" installation in a wagon. The rest is gibberish....

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2