Fordmods Logo

Head Unit Installation Question 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Head Unit Installation Question
Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Alright guys, I purcahsed a pioneer head unit over the weekend and want to get it professionally installed, I want the installer to keep the factory plug thing so if I sell my car, I can revert back to the original ford head unit.

So i booked my car into Strathfield for tomorrow, and the guy at the service desk told me that they splice the wires between the plug and tap into those, is that a good way for the unit to be installed??

He also told me that if using an aerpro wiring harness thingo, there will be a degradation in quality, is that true??

I was planning on getting the installer to use an aerpro thingo but if I lose quality I dont think i'll go down that path.

So should I get it installed with the wires from the new head unit plumbed into the existing wires after the factory plug?

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:19 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I used the Pioneer supplied plug, and just used crimped terminals to plug it's bare wires into the factory plug.
Hit it with 'leccy tape and it's done.
It doesn't look especially neat, but it's very easily removed.
edit: Missed the Aerpro thing.
The installer is talking out his a***.
It's plugs with wires.
I don't see how you can lose 'quality'.
Having said that, I wouldn't pay for one either when you can just do what I did for the cost of like 6 terminals and about 10cm of electrical tape.
It does the job.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Last edited by Steady ED on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

is what u generally do is get a harness eg EF flacon to pare wires and u join those to head units harness.

I woudl serriously doubt the degrade teh quility and i bet u would not be able to notice and once u get an amp and use rca it is no issue at all. id ask him to use a harness would cost $10 extar oh id say it will be quicker for install as u can joint harness on work bench so it might work out cheaper

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Quick and easy but not what he asked I think the way is ti solder the pioneer connection to the original wires and you can still be neat and are able to change back when wanted with NO degredation of sound or possible plugs coming out :roll:

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:08 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: BA XR6 turbo

ACT, Australia

go with what u want if u splice in all well and good if u get an areo pro the i wouldnt bother paying just plug plug and ya good to go and i wouldnt bother paying for an installer to do that. and if ya half handy with a soldering iron i wouldnt pay at all. with the sound quallaty i reckon hes blowing s**t like 10 centermeters of wire and a plug and if u need help with mounting or wires any of the boys here will help ya out i do falcons all the time and there easy as so ide save ya 50-90 bucks and do it ya selfe mate pm if ya need a hand cheers.

If you think life is bad. Imagine being a egg...you only get laid once, you only get smashed once and the only bird that sits on your face is your mum!

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Strathfield and Quality? HA!

so they claim by using these aeropro connectors theres quality loss?
LOL, did he mention that factory wires are the absolute best you can use for powering speakers and the H/U itself?

spend the 10 bux more and get them to install the damn plug, that way they don't butcher your car wiring and use s**t 'non' nitto brand electrical tape!

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EB Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

If you get them to use the Aeropro plug they should charge you half the labour because all they will have to do is redrill the brackets and mount them to the deck.The rest of the installation should only take them 5 minutes!!

EB Fairmont Ghia 6 -160rwkw (E85 tune)
ZL Fairlane 6 - Grandpa Spec
XW Falcon 221 2V

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yea as above and GTbob i still want the wires soldered solder aeropro plug to head unit plug

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Ok thanks for all the replies blokes, now if I try install this myself, do I need to remove the cage thing thats on the head unit? and if so how the bloody hell do I do it? Ive tried removing it by hand to no avail...

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

ACT, Australia

[S] wrote:
Ok thanks for all the replies blokes, now if I try install this myself, do I need to remove the cage thing thats on the head unit? and if so how the bloody hell do I do it? Ive tried removing it by hand to no avail...

yeah mate dont need it with the deck it will come with metal keys (bit of metal bout 5 cm long) push them down the side and it will slide right off

If you think life is bad. Imagine being a egg...you only get laid once, you only get smashed once and the only bird that sits on your face is your mum!

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:20 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that, I shall try that 2moro

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

SA, Australia

Im running my Pioneer deck with the aeropro wirirng harness soldered onto the h/u..simple plug in and plug out.... cant hear any quality drop..
cheers

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

i work at pioneer and will gladly install ur headunit for next to nicks :P maby a takeaway lunch or some soft drink or somethin while i work ;) hehe

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:34 pm 
Tyre Shredder

ACT, Australia

dsnow_01 wrote:
Im running my Pioneer deck with the aeropro wirirng harness soldered onto the h/u..simple plug in and plug out.... cant hear any quality drop..
cheers

good work mate

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA GT

WA, Australia

cooki_monsta wrote:
i work at pioneer and will gladly install ur headunit for next to nicks :P maby a takeaway lunch or some soft drink or somethin while i work ;) hehe

What a Champ!! ;)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next