Fordmods Logo

How loud is illegal. 

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:32 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL falcon - Skyline r33

NSW, Australia

If you get caught its your own fault yes, i mean you need to pick the right times to crank it up. I got caught the first few times because the system is just bulllsheit and i never had one before so my car was a noob canon.

If you get caught its your own fault , however only using 10 inch subs you lose alot of the bass viabrations within the car , and that means alot to people. If you have 2x10's youll see a massive differnce when you install 2x15's. Its basic physics , the bigger the speaker the more air that gets pushed and the further some frequencies travel. Normaly its those larger curve waves that travel the furthest and the sharper curves die out faster. so thats why you can only hear the bass from a distance on large systems.

There are inappropriate times to play loud music, but there are also places where cars and loud music fits.

It's set up like a deck of cards, They're sending us to early graves. For all the diamonds, they'll use a pair of clubs to beat the spades.

RATM

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Mondeo XR5T

Power: 173 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The DMac wrote:
Quote:
but hey, their only doing their job, right.

There mostly pricks first before doing there "job".

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:13 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL falcon - Skyline r33

NSW, Australia

hah , well .

It has to do alot with the attitude of the police man or women .

I remember having the music cranked up playing "Know your enemy" by "Rage against the machine" at its max level in coogee one night in the car park , The copper comes from behind my car and taps on the half wound driver side window of mine finaly getting my attention and i quote him " If that song was not one of my favourites, you would have had yourself a fine"
i laffed and turned it down.

If it was an old copper that hates rock music i would have had fine number 4.

It's set up like a deck of cards, They're sending us to early graves. For all the diamonds, they'll use a pair of clubs to beat the spades.

RATM

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:25 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF Ute

VIC, Australia

being in melbourne telling you now the only way you'll get fined is if its pumpin hard and the cop is having a bad day(stay off chappel street), been sittin next to a few cops with it up, no problems so far, and its 136 db and heard a few car lengths aways so i'd say ud be fine.

Explorers gone, bring on the ute.

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

what speaker and wrms are you running to get 136 db

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:05 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA falcon

VIC, Australia

Sound deadening really does work wonders. I have a fair bit of it in my car, and can't really be heard from the outside, even with the windows down it isn't too bad, and my stereo is far from quiet...

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB II

QLD, Australia

For anyone interested this link should answer the original question
'how loud is illegal' http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/noise/vehiclenoise.htm

nowhere does it give an SPL at x distance.
looks like a cop only has to be able to hear it outside the car with a couple of doof doofs thrown in its illegal. But only if said coppa thinks its 'offensive'.

Anyone ever challenged a noise fine in court because without some objective measured figure I cant see that they could prove that a particular noise is in fact 'offensive'

In fact I find the sound of a police siren to be very 'offensive'

cheers

Still thinking of something witty

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:12 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF Ute

VIC, Australia

The DMac wrote:
what speaker and wrms are you running to get 136 db

i'm running stockies in the doors, 4x6's premium ford package, 2 pioneer 300 wat 6x9's, and 2 JL w3d4's(running off 2 Alpine mrdm500's tho strickly for the subs)

Explorers gone, bring on the ute.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Surf, Turbo Diesel

VIC, Australia

stikky wrote:

looks like a cop only has to be able to hear it outside the car with a couple of doof doofs thrown in its illegal. But only if said coppa thinks its 'offensive'.

yeh i got a copper with me at the moment, (uncle)
and yeh, he said if he can hear it and he is on the street, and he hears the doof doof, and think its offensive, its too loud

or if he believes that the driver wont be able to hear sirens, then its a safety hazard and thats illegal too

but it comes down to the individual cop

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

chunkz wrote:
stikky wrote:

yeh i got a copper with me at the moment, (uncle)
and yeh, he said if he can hear it and he is on the street, and he hears the doof doof, and think its offensive, its too loud

or if he believes that the driver wont be able to hear sirens, then its a safety hazard and thats illegal too

but it comes down to the individual cop

Then just hope you get 1 or 2 deaf ones.... Ive also heard the same thing as well from a couple of friends.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:27 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: eb ghia

VIC, Australia

what about hearing impared people. they can't hear s**t! why does it matter if i can't hear s**t. accept doof doof doof. i have eyes, that's why they have flashing lights, yes?

keep the stereo down when in chapel, turn it down 2 streets from your house, pump it every where else if thats to your taste and enjoy the money spent. commen sence. :D

i've got a loudish stereo and havn't had a problem from the cops.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Falcon Futura

NSW, Australia

yeah, these laws suck, the falcon has a pioneer 4x40watt system that pumps up to 280watts through each channel when youve got bass.

ive got the standard ford speakers in the front, and pioneer 120watters in the back, no amps, nothing special, just a head unit and speakers.

its got a few different settings on it, the s-bass setting is to much for the 6inches to handle, but the vocal,natural and powerful settings are all fine, dont know how loud it is, but you have no trouble hearing it outside the car when you run at volume level 15(outta 30).

ive had 2 300watt subs in the boot before, they made no difference, couldnt hear them over the 6 inchers.

basically, the cops would fine me if i ever had it up, i often sit the car with the windows open when were at the beach, only have it on 12-15, and people tell me to turn it down, to quote a real prick "gees mate, go easy, cant here myself think", illl tell you, its not that loud, and the guy was only walking past, i was the one parked.

mods to my laser:
vortex fuel.....seriously, its quicker than mums falcon, well, at stalling anyway....oh she does alright burnouts tho, will post a picture soon enough....screw flanders!!

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Surf, Turbo Diesel

VIC, Australia

jbghia wrote:
what about hearing impared people. they can't hear s**t! why does it matter if i can't hear s**t. accept doof doof doof. i have eyes, that's why they have flashing lights, yes?

in that case, why do they have sirens, every one can see fine...

but you cant always see them coming, they have sirens, so you can be aware they're coming, not just at the last minute if you see them

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB II

QLD, Australia

chunkz wrote:
jbghia wrote:

in that case, why do they have sirens, every one can see fine...

but you cant always see them coming, they have sirens, so you can be aware they're coming, not just at the last minute if you see them

THERE SEEMS TO BE PLENTY OF BLIND DRIVERS OT THERE. LOL

Still thinking of something witty

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1994 Ford EF Fairmont Ghia Sedan

VIC, Australia

has anyone else noticed that the MOST of ppl that are complaining about the coppers and level of volume is from NSW.

I drive a patrol car (no not cop) at night and down chapel street and the amount of f**k s**t that i hear coming from ppls cars going up and down there are s**t. This is one of the reasons why the cops are starting to crack doen on it in chapel aslo the residents complain as on a thursday (uni finished), Friday Saturday or Sunday night, they cant get any slep due to the noise

1994 ford fairmont ghia - Currently 302 with T5 - Work in progress :P

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next