i think a myth is wrong - prove me wrong 

Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: i think a myth is wrong - prove me wrong
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

hey guys,
i was thinking the other day people always say that you cant have 6x9s with subs
however if you have the 6x9s on an amp and the cutout is 80htz and you have the crossover to the sub at 80htz there is no way for it to sound weird. am i right or wrong on this one.

cos i was at the shop the other day and 6x9s are so cheap now. $90 for a pioneer 60wattrms. far out

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FALCON

SA, Australia

you can run 6x9s with a sub
alot of ppl dont because a sub will produce plenty of bass without the need of xtra bass from a pair of 6x9. but setup your system how u want it

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

VIC, Australia

yeah i agree, go for what you want i say

4 cylinders are like chinese food, few minutes after you have them you just want more!

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Theyre not saying you CANT but theyre saying that 6*9's arent as clear in the upper ranges, nor the mids, so its better to go with some 6's instead. With a few subs of course. That, and you dont need to modify the parcel shelf (meaning an unroadworthy and structurally unsound vehicle) or install spacers.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

HUH????

what are you guys talking about. i dont understand

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:20 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF Ute

VIC, Australia

basically they're saying that 6x9's are used to produce bass, thats their main purpose, not really a sound quality speaker, so when using a sub its better to use a 6" speaker to produce the clear mids and high notes, while ure sub is used for strickly low notes. i mean i got 6x9's in mine, but thats cuz i bought em before my subs, and i needed the range. its up to personal choice really, if you like the way it sound, go nuts bro

Explorers gone, bring on the ute.

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Modified EA-S Falcon

Power: 142 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Firstly bro cuting your parcel tray is illegal due to weaking of a structural surface. It can be a defect/unroadworthy (depending on state). There is no right and wrong on this topic u can do it, most prefer not to as they are more a mid bass producing speaker and subs do distort the sound if mounted underneath them (ie in the boot). If you were to mount them say in the rear doors, it would sound good if tuned properly off an amp and would provide a good mid range within the vehicle sound stage esp for your rear passengers. personally i advise against puttng them in unless you dont want a sub and want a bit of bass in the cabin. it aint worth it.

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:06 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EA II S-Pac

VIC, Australia

OK, i tend to disagree also on the 6x9 saga....

I run 6x9's off my amp also with a 12" sub. I have tried a set of splits, and in my opinion, the 6x9's sound better. With splits i found i had way too much high end, plenty of bass (from the sub) but mid range was lacking. The 6x9's dont appear to have this problem.

Also with the 6x9's installed in the shelf with spacers, and the sub in the boot underneath, i havnt noticed any strange effects caused on them by the sub....

In short though, just make sure u have a listen to speakers in the shop before you buy, and make up your own opinion on the topic. Buy what YOU think sounds best. Your buying the equipment with your own hard earned cash, and this stuff aint cheap. Its your car, build your system to suit you, nobody else ! As long as it sounds good to YOUR ears, thats all that matters !

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:54 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon EL

NSW, Australia

very good point steele87..... I do dissagree with you though, on the basis that, some brands are better than others at producing the midrange from a 6" or 6 1/2" speaker. for example, i think that the pioneer splits produce a much clearer and more defined migrange and midbass as oposed to the equivalent kenwood product. but i also think that the kenwood product in mention also produces a softer yet crisper high range.

back on topic.... my opinion is that 6x9's or 7x10's are a waste if you have a good sub (s) tuned correctly with good quality fronts and rear fill tuned correctly also.

Founder of Team "Snazz Factor High"

Proud member of "Team Can't Stop the Doof Doof"

'2nd Place at Summernats 2004' SQL 901+ Street Class

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Modified EA-S Falcon

Power: 142 rwkw

NSW, Australia

steele87 wrote:
OK, i tend to disagree also on the 6x9 saga....
Also with the 6x9's installed in the shelf with spacers, and the sub in the boot underneath, i havnt noticed any strange effects caused on them by the sub....

hmm, strange, cause the resonate frequency should be s**t the speaker chasis causing very bad vibration due to the weaker designs in the 6x9's. the reason 6" sound better. you really cant take a display board for how it will sound, they sound totally different in a car and properly tuned amp. As dunis said above 2way 6"s can be better depending on the brand, i can accept the pioneers are better bass punch in the front to the kenwood ones and other brands are the same. IT comes down to what you want to install and how much you want to spend...

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

This conversation has inspired me to mention the point that ALOT of thought and preparation has to go into designing a system. It is posible to just add as you go, but think about the desired outcome before you start.

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BF Ute

VIC, Australia

dunis wrote:
This conversation has inspired me to mention the point that ALOT of thought and preparation has to go into designing a system. It is posible to just add as you go, but think about the desired outcome before you start.

agreed, i always had my desired outcome in mind, loud :D

Explorers gone, bring on the ute.

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I second that motion.

The court passes judgement!

Loud is good.

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:55 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Lincoln Navigator

Oustide Australia

Guys, ALL of you have missed the entire point of DMac's original post. STICK TO IT!. The main "myth" was bass cancellation due to playing the same frequencies through subs and the 6*9's. In theory, he is totally correct. IF you high-pass the 6*9's to a frequency higher than the low-pass of your subs, the cancellation will not occur unless you are using crossovers with a really low slope. Another point of using 6*9's is their bigger cone. A bigger cone with the same amount of power will be louder due to moving more air. (NB - when compared to a 6in speaker of the same brand and style.)

DMac, to answer your question, I think you are totally right. Everyone else? Help him out next time.........

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Then the answer is no,

there is no cancellation unless the freqeuncy wavelenghts are in direct competion to each other. You will only ever notice cancellation of a sound if you fire two speakers directly at each other and you stick your head in the middle.

something you may notice though..... commonly reffered to as cancellation, and be aware that it is not! Is not hearing the punch or bass from a 6x9 pr 7x10 bacause you have subs, there is no piont as the sheer volume reproduced by a sub can not be matched by a 6x9 or a sub.

do not be mistaken, 6x9's and 7x10's were designed as an alternative to a sub, not to compliment them. I I was to have subs and the above mentioned speakers then I would tune them at around the 120hz mark to produce a punch or a tighter bass as they would then be more efficient and or beneficial to my system.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next