Installing tweeters into EF GLi 

Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Installing tweeters into EF GLi
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 98 EL Falcon

QLD, Australia

No worries mate :)

98 EL Falcon Gli - AU II intech - t5 manual - Lowered on king lows - 2.5" custom exhaust - 200cell hi flow cat - 17" Speedy cobalt's powder coated in steel pearl - powerwindows - suede door inserts (classy) - fog lights - (probably other things I can't remember)

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:12 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Falcon

VIC, Australia

Ok so my attempts to run the tweeter wiring from the door speakers into the cabin was a dismal failure , was wondering if it was possible to splice into the wiring running from the head unit through the cabin to the doors and connect tweeters mid wire? If that make sense to anyone other than myself....

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

This is the wiring diagram of my system.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 160.77 KiB | Viewed 308 times ]

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

So you mean you have your full range speaker wire coming from your headunit to your speakers in the door? Because, that is very possible.
You can put your crossover anywhere you like along that wire. Think of your speaker wire coming from you headunit as a 3 way wire.

There is your hi,mid,low frequencies all being carried by that wire. All the crossover does intercept those three things and send the highs up another cable to your tweeters so that your mids and lows go to your woofer in the door.

Short story, put the crossover where ever you like and just make the wires go to the appropriate place :)

What type s speakers are you using? SPS610c? 6.5" type s components?

I have heard that they foul on the window when you wind it down if you don't have a spacer.
How is yours installed?

98 EL Falcon Gli - AU II intech - t5 manual - Lowered on king lows - 2.5" custom exhaust - 200cell hi flow cat - 17" Speedy cobalt's powder coated in steel pearl - powerwindows - suede door inserts (classy) - fog lights - (probably other things I can't remember)

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

What were your problems with running the wires through the door into the cabin anyway?

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Toquin wrote:
So you mean you have your full range speaker wire coming from your headunit to your speakers in the door? Because, that is very possible.
You can put your crossover anywhere you like along that wire. Think of your speaker wire coming from you headunit as a 3 way wire.

There is your hi,mid,low frequencies all being carried by that wire. All the crossover does intercept those three things and send the highs up another cable to your tweeters so that your mids and lows go to your woofer in the door.

Short story, put the crossover where ever you like and just make the wires go to the appropriate place :)

What type s speakers are you using? SPS610c? 6.5" type s components?

I have heard that they foul on the window when you wind it down if you don't have a spacer.
How is yours installed?

Yeah they are sps-610c and don't have an issue, I used the spacers that came with the speaker system and the windows go up and down fine!

I couldn't get the wires through the rubber tubing between the cab and doors, I tried to use a coat hanger to find where the wires enter the cab but had no success, do I have to remove more than just the kick panel? The fuse box and things under that side made it extremely difficult to find the coat hanger!

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Let me go outside and get a photo of mine for you :)

Also, I used a medium sized Phillips screwdriver to get mine through the rubber grommet.

Push the screwdriver through from the side you want the wires to exit. Eg, if you were working on the drivers door, you would pull the grommet out and push the screwdriver through from the door sill side towards the door through the grommet.

Then hold your wires parallel to the screwdriver and tape them real good with a decent brand of cloth tape...super sticky shizz (not too thick though, otherwise you will pull tape right off the screwdriver. Then all you do is wriggle the screwdriver back through the grommet. :)

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Yeah already had the tape idea planned out just couldn't see where the grommet entered the cabin!

Thanks heaps mate! I greatly appreciate you're help!

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

well I just remembered that my tweeters aren't done that way anymore, so I don't have a photo for you :(

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

What I'd suggest though is once you get your wires through the grommet, grab that coat hanger you had before and run it from the foot well up through to the hole in the panel so you can tape the wires to it and pull them through.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:34 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Yeah will do mate! I'm just struggling to locate where the grommet enters the cabin!!!

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Have you got the grommet out of the body yet?

If you do, there will be enough light coming through there for you to see the hole.

you need to pull your seat all the way back, sit on the ground outside you car and then lean in with your head almost on the car floor to see up inside the foot well.

It diagonally up towards the firewall.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Toquin wrote:
Have you got the grommet out of the body yet?

If you do, there will be enough light coming through there for you to see the hole.

you need to pull your seat all the way back, sit on the ground outside you car and then lean in with your head almost on the car floor to see up inside the foot well.

It diagonally up towards the firewall.

No crap! Does the grommet just pop out of the body? Do I just pull it? Wasn't sure if it would come out easily of if the job could be done easier without removing this!

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Haha yeah man, just get the biggest flat head you have and pry it gently around the edge of it and it will come out :) If you need more reach, use your fingers to fish around inside the body and grab the two plugs and pull the whole lot through. The plugs only just come through the body, but it is enough to make the job easier.

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Thanks heaps for your help so far mate! I will have a look tomorrow and will let you know how it goes! Once again thanks heaps!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 5  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next