Installing tweeters into EF GLi 

Page 3 of 5 [ 72 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Installing tweeters into EF GLi
Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 98 EL Falcon

QLD, Australia

No worries mate :)

Also, these spacers you said you got with your speakers. Did you buy them separately, or did they come in the box? I'm looking at buying type r's and they're only a couple of mm deeper.

Do you still have the foam cup behind the speaker as well?

98 EL Falcon Gli - AU II intech - t5 manual - Lowered on king lows - 2.5" custom exhaust - 200cell hi flow cat - 17" Speedy cobalt's powder coated in steel pearl - powerwindows - suede door inserts (classy) - fog lights - (probably other things I can't remember)

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Falcon

VIC, Australia

Came in the box, they are only about 5mm thick and yes I do have the foam cup behind as well! Seems to do the job!

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Have you put the door trims back on yet? Because I have also read that if you use to big of a spacer, at full excursion the speakers will foul on the speaker grille in the door trim. :/

I have 6.5" sony gtx components in the doors now, and I still have the foam cup there and they drag again the window ever so slightly sometimes.

The type s has a mounting depth of 56mm according to alpine, and the type r has a mounting depth of 59mm. The difference is negligible. But I'm not prepared to throw that kind of money at them until I can be sure. But no one has a definite answer.

Besides, I have new rotors to install :D I should probably get them off the end of my bed and onto the car :P

--
Also, where did you get yours from if you don't mind me asking, and how much did they set you back? :)

98 EL Falcon Gli - AU II intech - t5 manual - Lowered on king lows - 2.5" custom exhaust - 200cell hi flow cat - 17" Speedy cobalt's powder coated in steel pearl - powerwindows - suede door inserts (classy) - fog lights - (probably other things I can't remember)

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Yeah I have mate but might have them back off again tomorrow to work on the tweeters!

Yeah it's a tight fit on the speaker grill! It does make it tight when replacing it but with a little "negotiation" the trims went on fine and everything is nice, window winders work fine with slight stiffness but nothing to cry over!

What mounting depth do your current speakers have, by the sounds of it you don't want to go any larger than what you have!

I have no idea mate! They were a birthday present from the missus back in August, I have been putting this install off for this reason, knew I would have troubles! Haha They were from JB HI FI and were a very reasonable price! Will ask the missus when she gets home if she has the receipt for you mate!

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Cheers mate :) Only problem is I'm after r's, not s's.. I don't know if the receipt will do much good :P

My current speakers apparently they have a mounting depth of 55mm, but I'm not using any spacers and the foam is still behind the woofer magnet. 4mm spacer sounds like all I'd need to keep it at the same window distance as it is now..Still a gamble though :P

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Toquin wrote:
Cheers mate :) Only problem is I'm after r's, not s's.. I don't know if the receipt will do much good :P

My current speakers apparently they have a mounting depth of 55mm, but I'm not using any spacers and the foam is still behind the woofer magnet. 4mm spacer sounds like all I'd need to keep it at the same window distance as it is now..Still a gamble though :P

Yeah I just thought you wanted to know what I spent.

Yeah that sounds like you would have heaps of clearance both front and back! :D

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Haha oh yeah :oops:
:P

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

How did you go with the install?

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

A few things came up with work and family so haven't actually gotten around to it yet! Hopefully this weekend or next week at some stage (I have uni O'Week) I should hopefully get it done! Will post progress pictures as it happens my friend!

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:51 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Yuck, uni.. :-P

Good man, thread needs pictures. Always interested in seeing what other people do :-)

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

So had some free time today and installed the passenger side tweeter and then after constant swearing and abuse towards the car, decided I had better go to uni. It was not as easy as I had hoped but it is half done at least! And it sounds great! Pictures will be up soon!

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Good stuff, keen to see it
:-D

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 422.03 KiB | Viewed 312 times ]

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 469.49 KiB | Viewed 313 times ]

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Have more but cannot upload them, apparently they are too big even though they are below the 500kib....

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 5  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next