IPOD into EL Fairmont 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: IPOD into EL Fairmont
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:58 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

After trying to wire up the auxiliary plug mod that is explained in the sticky on this forum, I came up with a variation that might also help any of you like me who it appears can not solder to save my life. I went through 3 different switched sockets before I gave up, the earth seemed to always cross over giving feedback or I ended up with weak volume from the IPOD.

I have a standard stereo in my EL fairmont with the factory CD stacker and, after this mod, I can connect my IPOD and it ROCKS!! It sounds better than playing CDs and the bass is unreal!! In comparison my VT common whore has an aux input in the standard head unit and when I plug the IPOD into this it doesn`t sound even 1/2 as good???

What I did:
After removing the stereo I was able to quickly ID the CD plug, its the black one of the three plugged into the back of the stereo head unit. The speaker wires were easy to find as it looks like ford has just cut the 2 RCA ends off, and twisted the earths and put some black shrink wrap on the wire making three wires (red, white, and black). So when looking closely at the wires of the black plug I could see this join and ID the speaker wires.

Next I went to Jaycar and purchased two 3.5mm Stereo Plug to 2 x RCA Plugs Audio Lead @ 1.5mt - CAT. NO. WA7014 - $6.90NZ each
and one 3.5MM STEREO SOCKET TO 3.5MM STEREO SOCKET - CAT. NO. PA3583 - $2.60NZ.

Then I cut the 3 speaker wires from the CD staker cable at the plug leaving enough length before the plug to strip the wires for connecting.
Next I took one of the audio leads and cut the 2 RCA ends off, joined the earth out of each wire and then connected these to the plug end of the CD stacker cable. At this stage if you plug it all back together and connect the other end of the audio lead to your IPOD you are in business - you just have no CD player..... SO next
Take the other Audio lead and again cut the RCAs off, join the earths and this time connect this to the three speaker wires that are left cut coming from the CD stacker.
Now you attach the stereo socket to the 3.5mm plug end of this audio lead.

When you want to listen to the CD stacker, unplug the lead that is now connected to your IPOD and plug it into the other end of the socket and vice versa. Pays to mark the lead that connects directly to the head unit as once it is in the socket the audio leads are identical and you (I) will forget which to unplug again to go back to the IPOD.

I have these two leads coming out in the console just under the ashtray, they tuck away nice and neatly and with the IPOD sitting in the console you cannot even see them.

Not as clean and professional looking as the one outlined in the sticky that MORP did however there is no tricky soldering to do and I find the output to be much cleaner and louder than going through the aux switch plug (as noted this probably just due to my inability to solder small switches)

I am really really really happy with this mod and pass on full props and thanks to MOPH for his original idea as it was that which got me to this.

KSK

Kiwi Skid Kid - XR8 BOSS 260
If you see me switch off the traction control you better hold on tight!

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagon & EF fairmont wagon & M

VIC, Australia

mp3 will never sound as good as cd as it is compressed.

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Sounds awesome.

Will it work with a stock stereo that doesn't have cd stacker.

Do you have any pics. It would make heaps easier to understand.

Cheers
Zacha

96 Fairmont

XR8 bodykit and wheels
Lowered

Looking to do more upgrades

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

richard williams wrote:
mp3 will never sound as good as cd as it is compressed.

no, but its far handier! :wink:

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

Sorry could not see this way working without a CD stacker attached as even if you had the plug in the rear of the head unit it would want to register a stacker on the other end before it would operate.

Other options are using a FM modulator setup (search at Jaycar) however all the threads I read on these said they were no better than a wireless FM transmitter.

KSK

Kiwi Skid Kid - XR8 BOSS 260
If you see me switch off the traction control you better hold on tight!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]