Fordmods Logo

LCD TFT Main IC seems too hot!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: LCD TFT Main IC seems too hot!!
Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

QLD, Australia

Not entirely sure where this would belong.. Choices were here or auto electrics.. This seemed most appropriate.

Needing some real tech savvy advice here, I brought this TFT LCD Touchscreen from eBay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-Inch-TFT-L ... 3a98bdd558

and yes, i know its designed for a Pi but i could see no reason why it would matter how it gets its video signal. And if it does perhaps i will order myself a Pi and go that route. But my plan for the time being at least is to use it with a computer in my car (It's not yet on the road so no time like the present to play with it) The computer will either run Win8, Android, Or something else.. yet to sort out what will best suit my needs.

The Computer/OS and all related things is fine with me. I use to be a contractor techie so I'm familiar with that.

Trouble is i figured i should be able to power it with this just for the time being while its out of car:

It's just a random power adapter iv found in my box of "stuff" and by the amp/voltage rating it looked appropriate to me. However the main IC does appear to get very hot after a short period of time of testing it (calibrating touch)

Is this OK?

i know CPU's are regularly very hot and that's "normal". It has not burnt up or smelt dangerous or anything. The rule of thumb iv always been taught is if its too hot to keep your finger there its definitely over heating. Seems pretty close to that.

Am i over-powering/under powering it too much?

Am i suppose to be finding a way to soak the heat from the main IC? I guess thermal paste and a heatsink would benefit?

I maybe should have brought a whole unit but these were pretty cheap, And whole units tend to have there own OS.. i want to be able to get really creative without limits.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]