Fordmods Logo

Mongoose alarm install 

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Mongoose alarm install
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:26 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon

VIC, Australia

I eventually got this alarm sorted out, and got the install checked over by an auto elec

Wierdest thing happened yesterday though, the alarm went off for no reason at all. Car was sitting there unlocked, I wasnt even near it and it went off. Couldnt disable it with the remote at all, had to disconnect siren. Plugged it back in and same again. I thought maybe the 12v signal fuse blew, and the alarm thought the battery was disconnected, but fuse is fine.

Anyone else ever had this problem?

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Hey mate. I've got the map80g recently installed in my falcon. With glass and shock sensor.
I got an auto elec to install it for warrenty and they used a full black harness. Plus did an awesome job.
Anyway as for the alarm going off, did you have you're windows down? Or a door open, when my windows down any noise makes it goes off when it arms and when my door or interior light or boot is open and I arm it it makes a warning noise. But I havnt experianced mine going off unstopable before.

If you're battery fuse was blown and the unit thought the battery was disconected it would have used the digital alarm.

Has it done it again?

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Futura

QLD, Australia

I learnt that “Smartlock” isn’t so smart anymore from reading Ford Forums, and hence decided to upgrade the alarm system in my EF.

I’m installing a Mongoose MAP80G upgrade model, and hopefully this will make it a little less likely the old EF will go waltzing matilda after I have spent some time fixing everything.

Having previously installed a Mongoose M80S myself (which didn’t miss a beat in 5 years) in a work vehicle I decided to stick with the brand again.

I have since learnt that perhaps the 5 star rating Mongoose has (self awarded?) may be a tad overrated. The main reason for this is due to the fact that the siren is now dated, and not “digital” (controlled by the alarm module) and hence needs to be accessible to be turned off with key for vehicle service. This prevents the siren from being located in a place which is difficult for thieves to quickly access.
See a review at http://vehiclesecurity.co.nz/blog/mongoose-m80-series

To counteract this, a second small siren which does disarm with alarm could be hidden in a less accessible place inside the vehicle.

Still, apparently the siren will still sound even in a bucket of water (I didn’t try it.. :) ) so it still represents an obstacle to a thief, and hopefully they will choose an easier target.

The installation instructions are average to say the least, and installation is certainly a “mission”. Unless you are an alarm installer or comfortable with vehicle wiring/electrical diagrams, you will find it requires many hours of involvement.
On the plus side, doing it yourself means more time is able to be spent doing it properly (soldered connections/ hidden wiring) so it is likely to be reliable longer.

It is also considered a fairly bulky unit as far as alarms go, (though it's not that big - see pic), as the immobiliser relays are built in, and there aren’t a lot of easily accessible hiding places in the EF, unless you plan on joining the wiring harness that comes with the Mongoose to make it longer.

It comes with a blue LED that is so bright at night it lights up the inside of the vehicle! I may have to make up some kind of day/night sensitive relay switch just to tone it down a bit at night so it’s not like a blue light disco!

This is what comes in the box:

Attachment:
IMG298.jpg
IMG298.jpg [ 499.32 KiB | Viewed 370 times ]

I'm having an issue or two with the installation and will pm some previous posters in the hope of some advice, for as One Drone pointed out, it's probably not the best idea to post full details on the internet. :wink:

# I'll send an SOS to the world... #

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2