Fordmods Logo

My BA boot is sealing in too much subwoofer volume! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: My BA boot is sealing in too much subwoofer volume!
Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I've searched through other posts but can't find quite the answer I am looking for.

I find that when my wife opens the boot of my fairmont the sub really springs to life, even though I'm still sitting in the car with all the windows up etc.

Has anyone found that porting the boot to the outside somehow enables the bass? I'm thinking of the rubber drain plugs that are sometimes under the spare tyre, and whether opening up those would help the sound escape (and probably help the water in no doubt....)

My sub setup is amature, but it does the job well enough (even with the boot closed), but I think I could turn down the gain a lot and get a cleaner sound if the boot wasn't sealed so tight.

Any ideas anyone?

Ross.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Try placing the sub in different positions. The rear, front, facing forward or back in the boot to get the sweet spot so to speak. Its always a good idea to keep the sound in the car!

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:36 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: EA II Fairmont Ghia S

SA, Australia

Too much pressure in the cabin, try opening the windows a little when you have it cranked.

I have to have mine open but then again i have 2x15" 1000watt subs that cracked the windows in a mates Gemini when he borrowed them and my MTX amplifier.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

SA, Australia

lay down the 40 split?

Post subject: Kids car seats in the way
Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:56 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

:roll: I can't fold down the seats because of the kids car seats that are perpetually in the way....

Rolling down the drivers window doesn't make any difference either, so I think the boot is pretty well sealed from the cabin too, it springs to life when the boot lid is opened though.

I have tried various positions, but I think the gain is up higher than it needs to be so the bass sound is a bit muddy by the time it gets out of the boot. I thought of creating a port into the cabin where the stock sub would normally go, but I think that would be detected by the wife....who already complains about the lost boot space....and the booming bass :roll:

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: TS40

VIC, Australia

i find better bass with the sub sitting at the back of the boot (rear of car) facing the number plate...

Was - 2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

Now - 2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock... and a Fuel Card :)

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

You should be able to open up the parcel shlf liner by removing the masontite but leave the carpen on, if it sags glue some mesh under it to hold it up. Will look still look stock.

Post subject: Masonite removal
Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the masonite suggestion, it is the best I've heard so far. I did the same thing on an ED I had, but on that the fabric was glued straight onto the backing, so I was very lucky not to go straight through it. Is it different on the BAs? Will the masonite cut away without pulling holes in the fabric :?:

Ross.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Being a newer car the glue may be holding better than say an EA. You can get hold of one from a wreckers wich may already have holes in it to suit the premium system, but if not get a falcon one and work on that and if you ruin it you wont have to change the one in your car. Im not sure if all models have the holes already in so just check yours anyways.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: LTDHO

VIC, Australia

Are you talking about the factory parcel shelf sub?

If so, then it will do this because it's a free air sub. That's what they do!

Post subject: Not a factory sub
Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

No, it doesn't have the factory sub (nor did my ED), so I don't expect it to have the holes. Getting a premium one from the wreckers could do, but I've heard they are a real hassle to get in and out....

I had thought I could put in a hole with a speaker mesh cover, and tell the wife it is to keep the boot cool in summer so the shopping doesn't get hot..... :wink:

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL

SA, Australia

Which way is your sub facing? What slope roll off is your amp set to? And how have you phased your sub?
The best bass response i get from my single sub setup is rear fire at 12 db slope and normal phasing. Reversing the phase 180 degrees just thins out the bass and doesnt sound like its in front of you.
Try this and see how you go. Providing ofcourse that your equipment has these tuning features.

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

This might sound a bit absurd but I saw it on a show car around 6 or 7 years ago. Punch a hole through the parcel shelf and fit a speaker port in there. Similar in principle to the above mentioned masonite idea but with the port to extend into the boot area.

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

You want more cabin volume then leave the 40 split up....custom moulded fibreglass box behind the seats....subs inverted on the outside of the box firing into the box...and to the cabin....then a nice 4" port up into and exiting through the parcel shelf.... :P will provide the best in cabin doof doof.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Think you're running off the rails a bit here guys!!! he does have a missus so he has to keep it as stock as possible so she doesnt getting rip him to shreads!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next