Fordmods Logo

my custom boot install advice 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: my custom boot install advice
Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hey,im soon gonna go the custom boot install,running 2 pioneer 12's,my question is what differences are there gonna be with the aiming of the subs?should i aim them towards the front or rear of the car??
also will sealed boxes have better sound quality??or should i port them
cheers

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Id say the rear, I think ported boxes sound better, well the ones ive heard anyway.

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Ported boxes are usually used for SPL levels but I think the sound is clearer when non ported but I ain't sure. I ran a free-air sub in my car and it sounded good, now I have an enclosed sub and it sounds better (clearer but not as loud) and my friend has a sub in a ported box and sounds similar. Then again they were all different subs.

Also depends on the specs of the sub...if you want to go clarity I say don't port, if you want to go with SPL...port it.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

wow third thread in a couple hours on porting or not....and multiple 12"s :P heheh sweet

Sealed will give better sound quality but ported will be able to produce more bass but sound dronier......ported will score higher db readings...also going 2x 12"s dont go one big box...ported or not they should each be in a seperate sealed enclosure (that doesnt mean has to be 2 physically seperate boxes/enclosures)

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:11 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
wow third thread in a couple hours on porting or not....and multiple 12"s :P heheh sweet

Sealed will give better sound quality but ported will be able to produce more bass but sound dronier......ported will score higher db readings...also going 2x 12"s dont go one big box...ported or not they should each be in a seperate sealed enclosure (that doesnt mean has to be 2 physically seperate boxes/enclosures)

Hahaha...should put another tech doco about sub enclosures ;)

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

phongus wrote:
Big Kev wrote:

Hahaha...should put another tech doco about sub enclosures ;)

yeh had thought bout it along woth updating the power one...thought i might talk to aaron first :P

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Yeah i was going to say alomst the same thing as kev.

I had a 12 inch sub that i ran in a ported box and it was a clean sound but i decided to port to see what difference there was and it was much louder but not as clean.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: WRX

Power: 132 rwkw

VIC, Australia

heh, s**t.

Ive just finished a custon 2 x 12" sealed box in my boot, seems to have killed all the bass, the amp and head unit are almost maxed out on their settings and theres still f**k all bass.

Happy with the look, p****d about the sound.

Car Killer.

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

byrneing wrote:
heh, s**t.

Ive just finished a custon 2 x 12" sealed box in my boot, seems to have killed all the bass, the amp and head unit are almost maxed out on their settings and theres still f**k all bass.

nothing stopping you from porting your enclosure still....just need some pvc pipe and can do a dyi :) not that hard.....

Also so u say f**k all bass.....what head unit were u running again ?

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:04 pm 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

Maybe i need to have a test day testing a number of woofers back to back in ported and sealed enclosures firing all direcxtions int he boot to come up with an answer once and for all.

If i
m not mistaken i offered to do this once before and could not get anyone willing to assist.

Do a few people in Melbourne want to help me runt this series of tests.

My car is no good as a test car unfortunately since everything is pretty premanently installed, but could be used as a reference perhaps???

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

ill offer my amps :P and u can run the subs somewhere else :D haha :P if im free id be in for it aaron

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EA2 'Mont

VIC, Australia

byrneing wrote:
heh, s**t.

you've probably inverted the wiring on one, if so it will be sending the opposite wave to the other and cancelling out.

try swapping + and - wires on ONE of the subs

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ok i was gonna have 2 seperate boxes anyways,but i want loud bass(loud and very clear) but mostly loud,so i'll play around with boxes...free mdf from a builder mate so thats easy done.
also getting free perspex from a glazier mate lol

also i want an mdf parcel shelf to mount 6x9's how do i get around the centre seatbelt??
and what if my ports,if i use them came up through the parcel shelf,that'd sound s**t right??or would it be good
thanks for all the advice guys
aaron im from near sale,when this is complete you can play with my subs in different boxes one weekend if ya want

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

oh and so facing into the cabin is the go??

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

madeaspack wrote:
ok i was gonna have 2 seperate boxes anyways,but i want loud bass(loud and very clear) but mostly loud,so i'll play around with boxes...free mdf from a builder mate so thats easy done.
also getting free perspex from a glazier mate lol

also i want an mdf parcel shelf to mount 6x9's how do i get around the centre seatbelt??
and what if my ports,if i use them came up through the parcel shelf,that'd sound s**t right??or would it be good
thanks for all the advice guys
aaron im from near sale,when this is complete you can play with my subs in different boxes one weekend if ya want

nice to have friends in convienient places lol

nothing wrong with mdf parcel shelf so long as actual parcel shelf structual strength stays intact and doesnt change it is fine also child restraints and centre seat belt has to be easily and i mean very easily accessed....well for it all to be legal.....thats your call

Ports thru the parcel shelf can work...I have something similiar at the moment that im working on with a twist......but yeh u need to ensure the outcome will be effective and not disappointing...it will certainly increase the volume in the cabin but wont be as clear...depending how its done. Remeber port diameter and length are configured so they can be tuned to the enclosure and woofer specs.....for your subs... you need to check the manual/manufactures website etc as they shoiuld state at what frequency the port size, diameter and length - matched with a certain sized capacity woofer enclosure will produce the best or close to outcome for that woofer.

Depends how u do it....

and ya next post on facing the cabin is the go...really mate it wont matter....can depend onplacement more..have in the subs mounted up behind the rear seats...firing into or away form the cabin may make it sound louder in the cabion...as the audible source will be closer to your ears....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next