Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: New Audio Equipment Suggestions
Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Turbo EL

VIC, Australia

Hey guys
I was thinking of updating some of my audio gear in the car and was looking for some suggestions. I would have roughly $500 to use for this.
At the moment I have some Sony 6" speakers for the front and some clarion 6x9 in the rear. I also have a 8" sub in the parcel shelf and 12" Cadence sub in the boot. The 8" is run by a basic 2 Channel Amp off eBay and the 12" run by a 4 channel Clarion amp.

I would like some more bass from the system as at the moment it is lacking even with two subs, I think the main issue is that the amps are pretty s**t for the job.

I was thinking perhaps running the 4 speakers with the clarion amp and then getting a mono block amp for the 2 sub and getting a different 12" Sub.

What do you guys think, even if you have other ideas I would love to hear them.

Cheers

Build Thread:
1998 Turbo EL Futura Sapphire

Post subject: Re: New Audio Equipment Suggestions
Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

can you supply model numbers of your current speakers and amps and subs ?

the amp really is the deciding factor in most things as for the reason why i run JL audio slash series amps only for my car but they are hell expensive so that might not be a doable option for you
to create more bass i doubt you need to get a new sub most 12" subs are pretty good the amp will be playing a big factor in that. another thing you can do is make a new box with a port or port your existing box

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the info Fordsrule174 :)

I can't really find any part numbers and such as I haven't really kept any. I was thinking before what I might be best to try is....
Hook the Clarion 4 channel (400W) amp up to the 4 speakers then buy a mono block for the 8" and 12" subs and then how the system sounds then. Possibly even make a custom book for the 12" 8-)

Any mono blocks you would recommend ?

Build Thread:

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

im guessing you must be refering to the XR2410 or similar (only the looks change not the internals)

60W RMS per speaker is a bit of power it will run any speaker pretty easy

i can see why you werent getting any power as its bridged power is 100W RMS each sub so thats bloody nothing ive got 75W RMS speakers all round my car so technically once you count the fact of lower than rated input voltage the bridged power would only be able to run one of my rear speakers at full swing

can you supply a model number for the subs ?
model number will be on the bottom of them you may have to remove it from the box or parcel shelf to read it but the parcel shelf one should be readable from in the boot

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks again mate, really do appreciate your help :)

Yeah I think its the XR2410, With the what you have told me running 60W RMS per speaker that would do the job just fine for me :)

The 12" sub is a Cadence FXW124002
A link for info on it: http://www.myshopkart.net/pcidemo/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=2009152&products_id=28267363

The 8" I haven't inspected yet, will do that in the next day or so. I do know it's not running any massive numbers on it though.

Build Thread:

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

2ohms at 400W RMS is a decent sub
we can make it loud mate

what i would do is loose the 8" as the 12" will be more than enough
then youll have a bit more money for a decent amp for the 12

the best amp that i can recommend for your sub is the
Kenwood KAC-8105D

http://www.ryda.com.au/Kenwood-KAC-8105 ... c8105d.htm

can prob be grabbed cheap on ebay though
but dont expect a warrenty at ebay

now that amp is 500W RMS at 2ohms but due to its rated at a 14.4V input in reality it will be about 350-400Watts RMS at 2ohms and thats perfect

now another thing will be getting power to it all
the
http://www.ryda.com.au/Aerpro-MX0042-10 ... mx0042.htm will get the job done but if they peak at the same time while at high volumes one of amps may switch off due to low input

but i would recommend this if your going to run high level sounds at high level volumes alot

http://www.ryda.com.au/Aerpro-MX002-150 ... /mx002.htm

then you just got to get some 4ga power and ground cables

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yet again mate absolutely brilliant help ! :D I am certainly learning a bit here.

I was just looking at some of the kicker subs on youtube powered by the Kenwood KAC-8105D and my thought was would I be able to power both the 12 and 8" off it?

Also good thinking on the wiring ! I forgot to mention it myself, at the moment I am running some 4ga wire and a 100A fuse. So that should be all good yeah?

Build Thread:

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

There is no need for fancy amps and big power for bass. Positioning the sub in the right location will increase bass, along with deck settings. I have a 10" Pioneer VCCS (not sure of the model number) running off the original 1994 Factory fitted Alpine 4 channel amp. This provides ample bass without being intrusive or providing insane amounts of boot rattle. SQ is where it is at, and this provides a budget setup with a reasonable (not great by any means!) quality of sound.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

That is true 67RCE fancy stuff doesn't always mean better. Though I think at the moment I am not getting the most out of the system.
I agree with you on moving the subs as well cause I have tried that a few times in different positions in the boot and some areas give off a better sound than others.

Build Thread:

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Also what do you guys think of farad capacitors? I have been reading up on them and see them as not being hugely need.... just wondering what you guys thought?

I was looking at these...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-BOSS-CAP2B-2-Farad-Digital-Voltage-Car-Capacitor-/120749606435?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1d3cc623

Build Thread:

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

B Bear wrote:
Yet again mate absolutely brilliant help ! :D I am certainly learning a bit here.

I was just looking at some of the kicker subs on youtube powered by the Kenwood KAC-8105D and my thought was would I be able to power both the 12 and 8" off it?

Also good thinking on the wiring ! I forgot to mention it myself, at the moment I am running some 4ga wire and a 100A fuse. So that should be all good yeah?

the Kenwood KAC-8105D is a mono block so it should only power one device

the factory system is alright but not as good as a well setup 12"

ive never tried capacitors but everyone says they are just a waste of money

i also tried to factory system with a aftermarket 8" sub direct replacement and i found the parcel shelf wasnt strong enough it just kept vibrating and i had to dynamate extreme it to make it almost fully stop

plus most subs arnt free air subs and need a box on some level were as a parcel shelf sub would need to be free air or have a box under it

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I'll take your advice on that one and just use it for the 12". Yeah I do find that now even with the 8" there the parcel shelf rattles a bit with such then metal it's hard to avoid :(
I may invest in one of the capacitors just to see if helps out in anyway, for 60 bucks its not that bad.

Build Thread:

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

One other question Fordsrule174, when using the amp should I run it at 4 ohms: 300 watts x 1 chan or 2 ohms: 500 watts x 1 chan? The reason why I ask this is because with my 12" at the moment it is 400W rms....

I was reading the online manual and it said this: "The rated input power of the speakers that are going to be connected should be greater than the maximum output power (in Watts) of the amplifier. Use of speakers having input power ratings that are less than the output power of the amplifier will cause smoke to be emitted as well as damage"

If I was to run the amp at 500W rms would it cause damage to the sub?

Cheers

Build Thread:

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

B Bear wrote:
One other question Fordsrule174, when using the amp should I run it at 4 ohms: 300 watts x 1 chan or 2 ohms: 500 watts x 1 chan? The reason why I ask this is because with my 12" at the moment it is 400W rms....

I was reading the online manual and it said this: "The rated input power of the speakers that are going to be connected should be greater than the maximum output power (in Watts) of the amplifier. Use of speakers having input power ratings that are less than the output power of the amplifier will cause smoke to be emitted as well as damage"

If I was to run the amp at 500W rms would it cause damage to the sub?

Cheers

your sub is a 2ohm so the amp will automatically run at 2ohms
no mate wont harm them in anyway as the 500W RMS is only achieved at the correct input voltage 14.5V most likely be the case (this is a hard voltage to achieve even with the car running) and with those 2 amps the voltage will be drained down a bit so the actual RMS the sub will be recieving will be around 350-400W RMS and it never hurts to have it a bit over power as youll hear it distort then youll know to turn it down

and mate if you are concerned you can turn the gain down on the amp and the RMS is only achieved at full volume with the correct input voltage (99% is 14.5V) the lower the input voltage the lower the RMS will be mate

its better than underpowering it then the amp reaches it maximum power limit then supplys a direct DC current and then burns out the coil in a mater of seconds

unless you get a JL audio slash or HD series amplifer the above information will apply

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ahhhh that's peace of mind :D
This is all making a lot more sense now, you have been great help ! I think I will order the Kenwood amp off ebay with the 1 year warranty and all basically same price as the ryda site.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190450399602?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Build Thread:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next