Fordmods Logo

No more sound 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: No more sound
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ef FaiRmOnT

VIC, Australia

Was driving along earleir this week and all of a sudden car stopped playing any sound, head unit still runs, plays cd's and scans radio stations but i just dont get any audio. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to where i should look to fix this problem???

Thanks

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

More info would be handy! Are the speakers running of the HU only or you have seperate amps? Is it a factory HU with security code?

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ef FaiRmOnT

VIC, Australia

The speakers are the factory speakers running straight off the head unit, and it is a JVC headunit

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Its highly unlikely that all 4 speakers have gone at once. Seeing its all off the HU i would be saying its the audio output chip has gone. You can still test the speakers with 1.5 volt battery or an analogue multi meters on ohms x1 but make sure the HU is disconnected from the speakers. You should hear a tick from each speaker when tested. Hopefully you only have one speaker or cable shorted causing the HU amp to shut off but i think its more than speakers causing the problem. If it is the HU you can either have it repaired or opt for a 4 ch amp.

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

WA, Australia

i would bet somewhere a speaker wire has shorted on the chassis, try un-joining each speaker one at a time at the back of ur deck to work out where the short is and then narrow it down further.

84 XF Falcon S Pak, 250 crossflow (rebuilt ~5000km ago, carby model), Bored out 30 thou, Crow racing cam, extractors, yokohama 245's all the way round, chrome 12 slotters, lowered, 4spd man, open wheeler (blew my lsd...), Thumping sound system, L.E.D's everywhere

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Seeing they are factory speakers along with the factory wiring id doubt very much a shorted wire. But who knows, id say more like a blown output chip from a short where the JVC HU was connected to the factory cable! Seen it so many times while being a tech.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

when i got my car with the stock tape deck/radio (EL gli) it did the same thing, played tapes and tuned and everything but no sound....i went and got a new pioneer headunit and hooked it all up and it worked.....thats a stock headunit though, didnt think that kinda thing would happen on an aftermarket one...are there fuses for the amplifier in ur headunit?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

joolz wrote:
Seeing they are factory speakers along with the factory wiring id doubt very much a shorted wire. But who knows, id say more like a blown output chip from a short where the JVC HU was connected to the factory cable! Seen it so many times while being a tech.

thats exactly what i was going to say, sounds like a blown output ic, and yes we get it alot as well, another common thing is corrosion caused by water :P that looks funny :D

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]