Offensive Car stereo Fine 

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Offensive Car stereo Fine
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Mustang

NSW, Australia

I just got fined for having my stereo at an offensive level. The volume was not even a 1/4 the way up, so i fail to see it as offensive. Just woundering, has anyone here had experience with these fines (NSW) and anyone successfully fought the ticket and won? or is it just hopeless?

Cheers

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:39 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

Too expensive to fight tickets... Unles you're willing to spend more than the tickets would be, then don't bother.

Swearing at cops is bad too :P

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Stone wrote:
Too expensive to fight tickets... Unles you're willing to spend more than the tickets would be, then don't bother.

Swearing at cops is bad too :P

lol its you! heheh. /waves

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

I got done here in SA. No fine tho just what they call a "noise abatement notice". I'm not allowed to play ANY stereo at an offensive level for 6 months. If I do I get a fine, if I continue they take the stereo, if I still persist then they take me to the fun house. 8-)

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I can understand speeding punishments but music is just bloody ridiculous revenue raising.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

...what is considered an offensive level? if there is no exact description then how can they fine you and prove that you actually had it at that level...can you get fined without proof these days?

stupid revenue raising.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: el falcon

VIC, Australia

i got done last year for that got fined $150 and 3 points i asked why do i lose points they said it was a part of the new anti hoon laws.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

smiley235 wrote:
I can understand speeding punishments but music is just bloody ridiculous revenue raising.

also the circumstances were f**k. I was driving home from work at 8:30 in the morning ( I started at 2:30am) i was driving along the highway that runs through Broadmedow from hamilton towards Jesmond (for those of you familiar with Newcastle Region).

it is an industrial type area with no reidential houses even near by, there were no people around. i pulled up at the lights and the cops were behind me. i had my windows down because it was hot and i dun have air con. they then pulled me over and the officer proceeded to abuse me saying he';s sick of young p plate drivers and their annoying music. (im 21 and have been on my red P's over 4 years so not typical punk P plater lol) the volume was at 18, and it goes up to 62, so it wasnt "offensively loud". Ive since learned that anything over 7 volume lvl on my system is "just" auditable from outside the car.

In adition to this i had lost my wallet (which i didnt realise until they pulled me over) so they hit me with that fine too.

The entire time the officer was a rude prick to me, even though i was trying to be polite as possible, so by the time he was writting the tickets he was still insulting me for being a reckless adolecent P Plater, at which time id had enough and basically told him to shut up and write me the ticket and called him a C**k.

Needless to say i was then arrested lol.

But my point being, i was fined for "offensive stereo noise" in an area that there was noone there to be offended by it rofl, and they deemed it offensive because it was audable from outside the car, which just about any system is if the window is down.

Its total BS. Plus just to be bigger C*** they ALSO hit me with a fine for not having my lisence on me. All up its a total of 300+ fines, and 4 demerit points which means i loose my lisence for 3 months. I mean what the hell, how does that punishment fit the so called crime? fair enough the fines, but demerit points as well? NSW is by far the f**k state when it comes to traffic infringements

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:47 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

68stang wrote:
smiley235 wrote:

also the circumstances were f**k. I was driving home from work at 8:30 in the morning ( I started at 2:30am) i was driving along the highway that runs through Broadmedow from hamilton towards Jesmond (for those of you familiar with Newcastle Region).

it is an industrial type area with no reidential houses even near by, there were no people around. i pulled up at the lights and the cops were behind me. i had my windows down because it was hot and i dun have air con. they then pulled me over and the officer proceeded to abuse me saying he';s sick of young p plate drivers and their annoying music. (im 21 and have been on my red P's over 4 years so not typical punk P plater lol) the volume was at 18, and it goes up to 62, so it wasnt "offensively loud". Ive since learned that anything over 7 volume lvl on my system is "just" auditable from outside the car.

In adition to this i had lost my wallet (which i didnt realise until they pulled me over) so they hit me with that fine too.

The entire time the officer was a rude prick to me, even though i was trying to be polite as possible, so by the time he was writting the tickets he was still insulting me for being a reckless adolecent P Plater, at which time id had enough and basically told him to shut up and write me the ticket and called him a C**k.

Needless to say i was then arrested lol.

But my point being, i was fined for "offensive stereo noise" in an area that there was noone there to be offended by it rofl, and they deemed it offensive because it was audable from outside the car, which just about any system is if the window is down.

Its total BS. Plus just to be bigger C*** they ALSO hit me with a fine for not having my lisence on me. All up its a total of 300+ fines, and 4 demerit points which means i loose my lisence for 3 months. I mean what the hell, how does that punishment fit the so called crime? fair enough the fines, but demerit points as well? NSW is by far the f**k state when it comes to traffic infringements

That is utter s**t. I would have lost it too if I was pulled over for "offensive music". I would ask how it is offensive. I would want them to point out a law stating when it would be offensive...and pull out a sound level meter just to prove it...if it was in deed offensive then I would take the blame.

I think you ran into some cop who was on his rags.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
...what is considered an offensive level? if there is no exact description then how can they fine you and prove that you actually had it at that level...can you get fined without proof these days?

stupid revenue raising.

phong =P~

basically. an offensive level is basically what they consider under their discression, which is f**k. The funny thing was, there was a harley in fronmt of me at the lights when they pulled me over, and i could hear its exhast over my music, so that gives you some idea as to the loudness my music was.

The legal sound lvl for car exhast is 85dB, there was no way my stereo was that loud, so really wtf. Sitting here now at home, im constantly hearing v8's and other cars with loud exhasts that are 3-4 blocks away, and they are booking me for my stereo in a industrial area.

Also, i was driving my completely stock x2 Excel, not my mustang and was driving normally (if anything too slow) home from work, now really , i could understand if i was in my mustang, hooning around being an idiot.

Something needs to be done about this law, it should not be to the discression of the police office, it should rather be done like speeding is, using a sound meter or such device.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

People are booked all the time for speeding, how often are they actually booked for the speed that they were actually doing there is NO proof that on a given time that it was you that was doing the speed that they ALLEGE that you were doing, it even says alleged speed on the fine, it could have been someone elses reading.
Speed cameras are no better so why would expect anything else from tax collectors.........

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

outlawxr6 wrote:
People are booked all the time for speeding, how often are they actually booked for the speed that they were actually doing there is NO proof that on a given time that it was you that was doing the speed that they ALLEGE that you were doing, it even says alleged speed on the fine, it could have been someone elses reading.
Speed cameras are no better so why would expect anything else from tax collectors.........

Speeding fines are alot easier to debate. As for car stereo noise pollution, theres no way for me to proove it. The fact is my stereo can go 100dB+, theres no way for me to proove that i didnt have it cranked up fully at the time.the time.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

That is exactly my point and as in speeding fines it is simply your word against there's......
And they NEVER tell lies....

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:25 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

¼ way up could mean 1000watts or 130db, irrelevant!

Next we'll be stung for wearing black tops coz they can't see the seat belt.

*makes Left and Right a T-shirt with diagonal stripe*
Could be in a market here! Kop-e-Rite Krytox....

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

outlawxr6 wrote:
That is exactly my point and as in speeding fines it is simply your word against there's......
And they NEVER tell lies....

Ive had friends who have contested speeding fines and won. Also speeding tickets given by police that dont use a radar to clock you, will be overturned in court as they have no proof.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next