Fordmods Logo

Onboard Mini PC 

Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:22 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: R33 GTS-T

VIC, Australia

I wouldn't run IDE over 50cm really. FireWire would be the go for an external drive they are a lot faster, grab a mid-high end MB and it should have on board FireWire or just snag an Audigy 2 or better, good surround and inbuilt FireWire. Even with the FireWire / USB / SATA you still may have issues with cable length depending on how you run it.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Giha

QLD, Australia

Rapier wrote:
obviously 4.9 ef futura hasnt heard of a computer case lol

I don't know about that. I just can't work out if the boot is the case or the futura :wink: Plenty of expansion room.

I just would like to be able to afford one of those 'ittle bitty screens. Have all the other parts in abundance including a customised psu. And after see this setup, i'm not going to worry about a small setup, a mid size case is going in when I get the screen.

One day

Weapon - EA Fairmont Ghia - Pedders lows, Neothane,

From another biker - Scott, you rode hard, lived hard, loved hard, Thanx's for your advice and RIP

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FPV BF MKII F6

QLD, Australia

or you could get one of the 2 new alpine head units

one of them can be linked to an ipod
the other one has a 80gb hard drive

OBS35N is gooonnnneeee.
Gone for good..... Damn fence posts!!!!!

OBS35N #2 (XXF6XX) just bought, bring it on

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:09 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF Falcon Gli

WA, Australia

Quote:
my plan is for a modded xbox running linux with a touch screen, only want it for mp3 playing. But I want to replace the xbox psu with a 12v one, don't want a 12v->240v->12v system.

Hmm... just found this site if anyone is interested.. http://www.xenarcdirect.com

I recently modded my xbox and was looking at doing this myself. Done a bit of reading and I think its a pretty big effort to get touchscreen going from the xbox.
I'm just playing round with XBox Media Center as the dash at the moment, looks good as you can just use the remote to navigate so wont need a mouse or anything.
Two things Which I would miss from my standard stereo is 1) fm radio , and 2) system automatically playing songs where you left off, when you turn on your car
Anyone got solutions to these? I'm gonna download a linux distro next week, chuck that on the xbox and see if i can find sum good programs for it

Burp

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

neds wrote:
Quote:
my plan is for a modded xbox running linux with a touch screen, only want it for mp3 playing. But I want to replace the xbox psu with a 12v one, don't want a 12v->240v->12v system.

Hmm... just found this site if anyone is interested.. http://www.xenarcdirect.com

I recently modded my xbox and was looking at doing this myself. Done a bit of reading and I think its a pretty big effort to get touchscreen going from the xbox.
I'm just playing round with XBox Media Center as the dash at the moment, looks good as you can just use the remote to navigate so wont need a mouse or anything.
Two things Which I would miss from my standard stereo is 1) fm radio , and 2) system automatically playing songs where you left off, when you turn on your car
Anyone got solutions to these? I'm gonna download a linux distro next week, chuck that on the xbox and see if i can find sum good programs for it

Sweeet, let me know how you go...

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I've got a PCI card in my desktop at the moment thAT Allows me to watch T.V. on the monitor. It brings it up in a little window that can be showed in a corner while your busy typing or can be made full screen or whatever... Anyways, it also lets me listen to FM radio.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:53 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
I've got a PCI card in my desktop at the moment thAT Allows me to watch T.V. on the monitor. It brings it up in a little window that can be showed in a corner while your busy typing or can be made full screen or whatever... Anyways, it also lets me listen to FM radio.

mm how much and were?

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

can get real good digital tv pci cards for about 170, saves muckin roun with ariel as much then

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 08 ranger xlt

WA, Australia

im new to all this bizo...

so wot ur all sayin dat wid the aid of a power inverter, i could chuck me home pc into the boot and just run a few cables for a screen on the front?

how does the xbox system work? would that be justa s easy if not easier to setup than the computer for incar movies and music?

IF ONLY MY GIRLFRIEND WAS AS DIRTY AS MY CAR

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

covers wrote:
im new to all this bizo...

so wot ur all sayin dat wid the aid of a power inverter, i could chuck me home pc into the boot and just run a few cables for a screen on the front?

Yep!!! That's what we're saying!!

Quote:
how does the xbox system work? would that be justa s easy if not easier to setup than the computer for incar movies and music?

Sounds much easier than the PC (there's more to it than meets the eye!). Same deal - power inverter (or tricky DC-DC power supply) and a screen. All you need really!

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

mm how much and were?

I got mine yonks ago (like 4 years), check out eBay.com.au, like someone said if you can get a digital one that'd be awsome as you'd retaim reception while your driving around for t.v....

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:49 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Quote:

if all you wanted was music and movies (like me) you could go the xbox because this is probably cheaper. Once you stick a modchip in the xbox you've basically got a very cheap entry level pc. Add in a bigger hard drive and it can work as a fully functioning media centre. The best bit is there are heaps of programs available to download (all free). You can also store all your games on the hard drive so you dont have to carry discs with you.
If you wanna do more than this you'll probably want a pc. Although xbox is essentially a pc, it is not as easy to use as microsoft dont exactly want people using it like this

Burp

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 08 ranger xlt

WA, Australia

it doesnt really sound that difficult at all wid da xbox setup. i think i might give it a go, a good spare time project.

im sure u could get a second had xbox, second hand invertor, nice lookin tft screen or sumfin like that. maybe even touchscreen so u can piss the mouse off.

all i need to kno is how can u start it up with out havin ta turn it on from the xbox itself, like a switch in the cabin or sumfin cos if not dat would b a pain in da a**.

or wot would be even nicer is a step by step process on wot u need and wot is to be done. that would be nice, not askin too much is it.....lol

IF ONLY MY GIRLFRIEND WAS AS DIRTY AS MY CAR

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

from what i've read the xbox don't like touchscreens so it might be a bit of a hassle getting that running. But you dont need a mouse, you can just use the xbox remote. This works really well for navigating music etc. You can also buy an IR adapter for the remote for like $30 which allows you to turn the xbox on by the remote.
I plan to set up a step by step guide once ive done it, but still trying to work out if its practicle yet, cause i still want an fm radio and a resume function.

Burp

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

japa62 wrote:
Rapier wrote:
obviously 4.9 ef futura hasnt heard of a computer case lol

I don't know about that. I just can't work out if the boot is the case or the futura :wink: Plenty of expansion room.

I just would like to be able to afford one of those 'ittle bitty screens. Have all the other parts in abundance including a customised psu. And after see this setup, i'm not going to worry about a small setup, a mid size case is going in when I get the screen.

One day

Care to share some light on this customized psu idea? I read some things on moding your existent PSU to accept 12V but seemed like mission impossible. So, what are you thinking?

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 5  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next