Fordmods Logo

Possible to Upgrade from 2-button to 4-button fob? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Possible to Upgrade from 2-button to 4-button fob?
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:28 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU XR8... (Kia Grand Carnival)

NSW, Australia

Hey modders,

I have recently replaced my 2001 AUII with an 1998 AU (Series I).

Overall its been an ok transition, havent really missed the major step-backs like the IRS or the changes to the interior centre dash, its the same solid reliable Falcon I always love. But one differnce that has been driving me crazy is the old style remote keyfob (that we had in our previous EF, the one with two buttons).

Attachment:
File comment: 2-button remote
2-buttonremote.jpg
2-buttonremote.jpg [ 22.86 KiB | Viewed 238 times ]

What I miss is the seperate Lock and Unlock buttons on the AUII and onwards keyfob. I regularly walk away from the car with the pram all loaded up with the kids, and I would always need to double check if it has been locked. You can press the lock button again and if everything was locked it will beep the horn. Nice, its hard to explain untill you have lived with the new one for a while and really gotten used to it.

Attachment:
File comment: 4-button remote
4-buttonremote.jpg
4-buttonremote.jpg [ 28.03 KiB | Viewed 244 times ]

With the 2-button style, it will cycle thru the lock/unlock states so you would then need to carefully watch for the lights to flash once for open, or twice for locked (note: this is the opposite on all my family's other cars where it is flash once for locked). When its not dark enough to actually tell when the interior cabin lights come on, I sometimes think that I've second guessed myself and will actually need to turn the pram around and walk back to the car to physically lift up one of the door handles and check to ease my conscience.

I assume that its not a case of simply training the new style fob, there has probably been some changes made to the BEM/Smartlock module to add the extra logic and the panic alarm.

Can anyone confirm this for me? If its a huge job I'd just go aftermarket and upgrade the whole alarm system.

Regards,

:: Jordan

Last edited by Jordan on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Possible to Upgrade from 2-button to 4-button fob?
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Put simply, nobyou can not. It's a difference between smartlock and shield.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]