premium sound sub replacement 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: premium sound sub replacement
Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

the 2 wires from the terminal to the cone one my factory sub have snapped and are to short to repair so was wondering if anyone has replaced the sub? what did you use, how did it go with the factory amp? cant find a 6ohm 8" anywhere would a 8ohm sub work fine? any side effects?

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Post subject: Re: premium sound sub replacement
Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

If you go for the 8 ohm option it will be quieter. (Larger load) If you go for a 4 ohm option it would be louder. (Less load). Not sure if the amp can handle the 4 ohm on full volume for hours and hours, but you can always adjust it down.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

If you get an 8" 8ohm sub that has a reasonble efficiency then it will be fine, though you can fit a 10" if you are a bit handy with some mdf and a router or jigsaw....
The factory amp is an Alpine amp and they weren't that good a 4 ohm bridged as far as power increase is concerned so an efficent 8ohm sub is a better option, will help with damping factor as well which is particularly important in a free-air setup....

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:45 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia BA 5.4L V8, AU 6

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Hey Dude,

Yeah i ran some subs from the premium sounds system, what you need is to get an amp with both types of input, RCA and Speaker input.

What the speaker input allows you to do is attach wires to your rear speakers and use that as the input for the AMP.

I'va attached some pics for you to have a gander at, any questions don't hestitate to ask.

Attachments:
Image033.jpg
Image033.jpg [ 140.34 KiB | Viewed 287 times ]
Image034.jpg
Image034.jpg [ 137.91 KiB | Viewed 282 times ]

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is finally done.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:34 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED GHIA V8

NSW, Australia

What ever you do dont put a 4ohm sub in there, as it will be to "thuddy" and very noticable in the back. I put one in to hear the difference and prefer the 6ohm as it "fills" the music and is not overbearing from the rear.

Find a factory sub cheap at the wreckers or second hand with ripped/torn round bit and recone it. Even though it is ripped around once you recone it it will sound like new. The kit cost $10+ and is easy to do and you get a brand new sounding sub. Thats what I did and you can get really good sound from an aftermarket deck if tuned right, friends think ive upgraded my speakers and have a box in the boot but its all stock ED Ghia speakers, still going strong after 15years.

Black ED Ghia
V8 with lpg
Full leather
waitng on sunroof..

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

lethal EA wrote:
What ever you do dont put a 4ohm sub in there, as it will be to "thuddy" and very noticable in the back. I put one in to hear the difference and prefer the 6ohm as it "fills" the music and is not overbearing from the rear.

Find a factory sub cheap at the wreckers or second hand with ripped/torn round bit and recone it. Even though it is ripped around once you recone it it will sound like new. The kit cost $10+ and is easy to do and you get a brand new sounding sub. Thats what I did and you can get really good sound from an aftermarket deck if tuned right, friends think ive upgraded my speakers and have a box in the boot but its all stock ED Ghia speakers, still going strong after 15years.

What a great description, "4ohm subs will be thuddy" that will depend on the sensitivity of the sub in question more so than the load on the amp, for example a 6ohm sub with a sensitivity of say 89db will be louder than a 4 ohm sub with a sensitvity of 86db but then you could put in a sub with a 92db sensitivity and an 8ohm load which would be easier on the amp and still put out a good amount of sound.....

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:59 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED GHIA V8

NSW, Australia

outlawxr6 wrote:

What a great description, "4ohm subs will be thuddy" that will depend on the sensitivity of the sub in question more so than the load on the amp, for example a 6ohm sub with a sensitivity of say 89db will be louder than a 4 ohm sub with a sensitvity of 86db but then you could put in a sub with a 92db sensitivity and an 8ohm load which would be easier on the amp and still put out a good amount of sound.....

mate i know what i hear, reconing a factory sub is cheaper and better than looking for a sub that will match sensitivity and the price you pay for it wont be cheap. You may aswell replace all speakers and amp in the car to match a 4ohm sub for it to sound perfect.

Recone kit $10-20, New Sub $45+ (and thats for a s**t one- good ones atleast $90)

Black ED Ghia
V8 with lpg
Full leather
waitng on sunroof..

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

lethal EA wrote:
outlawxr6 wrote:

mate i know what i hear, reconing a factory sub is cheaper and better than looking for a sub that will match sensitivity and the price you pay for it wont be cheap. You may aswell replace all speakers and amp in the car to match a 4ohm sub for it to sound perfect.

Recone kit $10-20, New Sub $45+ (and thats for a s**t one- good ones atleast $90)

Mate that kind of sweeping statement is based on utter rubbish, maybe you have heard one sub that you didn't like the sound of, maybe it was of a higher sensitivity than the standard driver which is why I explained that the impedance of the sub has little if anything to do with the way it sounds (though it will effect the amps performance).
In fact a decent 8ohm sub of a suitable sensitivity will work better than the factory 6ohm unit as the amp will have a better damping factor, use less power, produce more power (as those factory Alpine amps don't double their output as the impedance halves like some of the better amps) and run cooler.
You are right in that putting a new surround on a factory sub is cheaper but is cheaper better? Not always.
It is a bit like saying that a 4cyl car will use less petrol than a 6cyl car or even a v8 sure some may but then some v8 models have been know to use less fuel than their 4cyl cousin.
Sometimes a little thought can produce a much better result rather than using an anecdotal evidence based opinion....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]