Fordmods Logo

Remote start using factory remote? (boot button) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Remote start using factory remote? (boot button)
Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED GLi Classic

VIC, Australia

This might be impossible, which is why I am asking.

I have been reading about how to get remote start happening in an E-series falcon, and have read about the PCB in the barrell. Although what I am wondering is, would it be possible to change the boot button on the keyless entry remote to the remote start trigger? As in, instead of opening the boot, it starts the car?

If this is possible, it would be awesome. Some light shed on this would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers.

RIP Chelsea
96 EF2 Gli - T5 / Exedy / Wade 977b / P+P / JMM Extractors, 2.5" / Port matched BBM / and more
bmICE

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Fairlane NC

VIC, Australia

no info on falcons but a friend of my family did a remote start on his land rover discovery.

press the button and it starts, pretty impressive if you ask me. (not as impressive if it dosent start first go though)

so its probably possible

NC Fairlane Ghia. AU engine. Pacemaker 4499. 2.5" Redback Zorst, tints, red dash. 17in ba xr (e-series). Suzuki Across (suzi) Sexy in Black

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

hmm, short answer no, long answer yes, there is a possibility, how ever remote start is not like boot release, boot release is a simple 12v pulse which releases a solonoid. remote start needs to send 12v down the ignition line, get feedback from the dizzy output etc and cut off once engine has started. having said that im sure you could create a crude version that would work :P

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED GLi Classic

VIC, Australia

cooki_monsta wrote:
hmm, short answer no, long answer yes, there is a possibility, how ever remote start is not like boot release, boot release is a simple 12v pulse which releases a solonoid. remote start needs to send 12v down the ignition line, get feedback from the dizzy output etc and cut off once engine has started. having said that im sure you could create a crude version that would work :P

By using the boot button, I mean purely as the remote to start it. Is there separate IR receivers for the boot button and the lock/unlock buttons? So I could change what the boot button activates. For example, a relay being activated when the boot button sends a signal to the IR receiver. Is something like this possible?

RIP Chelsea
96 EF2 Gli - T5 / Exedy / Wade 977b / P+P / JMM Extractors, 2.5" / Port matched BBM / and more
bmICE

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 9 images

VIC, Australia

Well first off the falcon remotes do NOT use IR they use RF.. Yes very different..

All you would need to do is disconnect the wire going to the boot solenoid located in the bootlid and use the pulse from that to drive a relay.. This pulse goes for about 1 sec so you will have about 1 sec for the car to start.. obviously this may not be very successful in which case it would be possible to have the pulse activating a small timer circuit that runs for say 5 seconds to start the car.. Obviously this system has its downfalls aswell..

Hope this helps..

Cheers,
Nik

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:10 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Wouldn't recommend using the factory remote as it is not the most secure RF signal. No rolling code, and in a crowded carpark I use to see my doors lock or unlock occasionally, or be open when I came back. Would only happen in car parks where other people had those $50 cheapo central locking kits or immobilisers.

Circuit wise, its very doable. A handfull of relays would provide a latching and cranking circuit, and you could monitor the battery light so it knows when to cease cranking. or stop a re-crank if already running. My EB's remote start was single button, and once it was started, the signal switched the pulse to the air bypass solenoid so I could rev it too :D

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]