Fordmods Logo

spits 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: spits
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

VIC, Australia

i brought myself some splits today and i was wondering wether they will be hard to install in my el ghia,can anyone give me a low down on putting them in? thanks

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

you mean SPLITS in your topic title? :P

Are they 6" or 6.5"? do they have a cross over or not? you running them off an amp or a head unit? Going to need some more info on the splits

If the splits are 6" and don't have a crossover, then simply pull the door trim off, by removing all the screws around the trim, then remove the plastic side mirror screw cover. There is a screw for the door handle and 2 more for the arm rest thingy. Remove the door handle from the trim. Once you removed the screws and the door trim flops around, remove the door lock knob with multi grips and maybe a cloth to prevent any damage, just pull at it and it should come off eventually. Once you got the lock knob off, you can grab the door trim and heave upwards and the door trim should come off...it takes a bit of elbow grease and I have found it is easier if the window was down.

Once you have taken the door trim off you should see a foam cover type thing over the door frame, you can remove that and put it back on later with some glue.

From here it is pretty much self explanatory. Undo the bolts for the speakers, remove speakers, wire in new ones and put it all back together.

Though remember, these steps are for 6" splits without a crossover. It is much more tedious with a cross over and 6.5" speakers, easy, just tedious.

Hope that helps.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:16 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF XR6 manual

VIC, Australia

Being splits, you would also want to mount the tweeter in the dash (same as factory) you can use the standard wires, but I would personly replace with better quality stuff if you have the option. But which ever way you choose if they came with crossovers, they must be used or you will blow your tweeters and it will sound crap.[/b]

EF XR6 5spd 14.57@97mph
154rwkwts

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

You really need to give more info than "splits" if you want some help. They could be 3.5", 4", 5.25", 6", 6.5" or even 6x9" so all of these would require different approaches so more info would help......

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

grub73 wrote:
Being splits, you would also want to mount the tweeter in the dash (same as factory) you can use the standard wires, but I would personly replace with better quality stuff if you have the option. But which ever way you choose if they came with crossovers, they must be used or you will blow your tweeters and it will sound crap.[/b]

if the tweeters come with mounts he definately should put them somewhere apart from stock location. A pillars are the best, however I have mine mounted on the inside of where your mirrors are and thats alright. Plus its heaps easier to wire up if you like easy solutions :P (put crossovers in door sidepockets, small hole for wires to run up the door into midrange and tweeter). My 2 cents

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

VIC, Australia

they are 6.5 inch kenwood and yes they came with crossovers, just wasn't sure on the wiring side of things

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]