Stereo upgrade in BA. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Stereo upgrade in BA.
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Hi,

I am sick of the premium setup in my BA ghia. I used to be a total audiophile, but have been out of the game for a good few years now.

Have been talking to some different installers and some have recomended a set of quartz splits in the front and a 12" single in a box in the boot, all running off an Alpine MRV-345. Now all this sounds fine and I like that the amp has fully adjustable crossovers, but they are talking about using a speaker line converter for the RCA input.

Now back in the day (about 10 yeasr ago admittedly) using RCA line converters was a bit of a no-no.

Have they improved at all? I really don't like the idea of $1200 on a Alpine Vehicle Hub Pro.

Any thoughts?

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ba falcon

WA, Australia

i highly doubt there are any good lineout converters. mines s**t anyway, u can fit a single din headunit next to the power outlet. or a double if u go a bit custom.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Hey guys,

I have the same dilemma, I "used" to spend bucket loads on stereo gear but I've calmed down over the last few years.
I just sold my BA XR6 which had premium sound (really love the colour screen), the sound was ok from a factory stereo.

I've just bought a BF XR8 but unfortunately it only has the black LCD screen :-( although it does have the 6 disc in dash head unit, I think this is the prestige sound (no colour screen, amp or sub)

Trying to decide whether to buy a colour screen and run the factory 6 disc head unit with my amp and sub "or" buy a new Alpine head unit and just live with the black LCD.

One of the big pains is that after a couple of years with the XR6 I am soooo used to using the stereo controls on the steering wheel.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ef falcon Gli sedan

WA, Australia

if you wanted to upgrade everything while keeping the factory HU you could get a signal processor such as the rockford fosgate 3SIXTY.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_categories.asp?cat_id=1&series_id=49

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon GLI

WA, Australia

i dont know y u wanna get rif of ur premium sound from ur ghia, u do realise that if u take the icc out u lose the climate control and dazm get the premium sound installed, weve got a BF mk2 with the premium sound, luv it, and the factory gps systems are good on the colour screens

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:34 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ef falcon Gli sedan

WA, Australia

yeah just get the signal processor. it turns the speaker outputs into rca so u can run amps.

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Power: 141 rwkw

WA, Australia

The 3sixty is probably the best option, but there are some good line converters out there.

check out this one http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/sto ... roductId=3

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

gli wrote:
i dont know y u wanna get rif of ur premium sound from ur ghia, u do realise that if u take the icc out u lose the climate control and dazm get the premium sound installed, weve got a BF mk2 with the premium sound, luv it, and the factory gps systems are good on the colour screens

Who said anything about getting rid of the premium sound or the climate control? I am talking about running aftermarket gear off the factory system using a line converter.

I won't be disabling any of the climate control or anything else......

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA 3v ute

VIC, Australia

Line convert = poo

I spent $60 on a stinger line converter and i hate the stupid thing, you get that computer speaker static all the time :x I would be investing in something a little better then them. I know jb hi fi have this L6 module (i think it would be similar to the 3sixty) for $300. A mate that works there says they're pretty good but i haven't heard one before but i am definetly going to be investing in one of them

www.bseries.com.au/punktured

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I think I will run with a line converter for now. I can always upgrade to a processor later if I am not happy with the result.

Thanks for all your thoughts anyway. At least now I know that there are other options if I am not happy with the line converter.

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]