Fordmods Logo

vented or ported sub in a sedan? 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: vented or ported sub in a sedan?
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 106

Joined: 26th May 2008

Ride: BA XR6

Location: erina
NSW, Australia

i have a single 12" ported kicker sub in my EBII GLI, went hard in my last car, was a hatch. in the falcon it seams muffled and rattles things alot more. it also has a big effect on the 6" speakers on the parcel shelf because of the air being pushed around in there. i was thinking that mabey a sealed sub box would be better in a sedan. just wondering what your thoughts and theory's are guys....

 

_________________

†={][}= TEKNO ={][}=†

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 582

Joined: 20th Nov 2004

Ride: xr6

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

The main problem is not the type of enclosure but the lack of ventilation between the boot and the cabin, in the hatch the sub has a free run but in a sedan you have the rear shelf and the rear seat obstructing the sound.
As for the enclosure type that is dependant on the driver itself and the desired response....

 

_________________

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 4946

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

outlawxr6 wrote:
The main problem is not the type of enclosure but the lack of ventilation between the boot and the cabin, in the hatch the sub has a free run but in a sedan you have the rear shelf and the rear seat obstructing the sound.
As for the enclosure type that is dependant on the driver itself and the desired response....


Exactly going from a hatch to a sedan with likely a much greater volume of space in the boot the acoustics of the vehicle have changed and will effected the output of your equipment.

You may find the enclosure needs to betried in another area of the boot...may be better sealing off the rear shelf speakers, different spec enclosure or having it modified to suit a different frequency or change in port characteristics such as diameter length etc..

 

_________________

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: thank you
Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 106

Joined: 26th May 2008

Ride: BA XR6

Location: erina
NSW, Australia

ok, thanks, i think that i will try moving it around the boot, see if it gets any better, the hatch was like that aswell, only good in some positions.

 

_________________

†={][}= TEKNO ={][}=†

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 326

Joined: 18th Feb 2007

Ride: ED GHIA V8

Location: ford town
NSW, Australia

This might be for u or not..

turn off LOUD if u got it on and retune it>

I no heaps of cars that sound boomy from outside and shake heaps inside but sound quality is s**t cause the bass is too overpowering and not clean.

A good stereo should not need LOUD on ever!

 

_________________

Black ED Ghia
V8 with lpg
Full leather
waitng on sunroof..

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: ok
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 106

Joined: 26th May 2008

Ride: BA XR6

Location: erina
NSW, Australia

ok then, well i do have LOUD on, my 6'' splits and 6x9's are not distorting at all as i have hi-pass filter on, the quality of sound is fine, mainly the delay and muffle is what is annoying me

 

_________________

†={][}= TEKNO ={][}=†

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 326

Joined: 18th Feb 2007

Ride: ED GHIA V8

Location: ford town
NSW, Australia

Your next problem is your 6x9's, lose them.
Subs and 6x9's dont mix right, now before people say "mine sound good" swap them with matching size front pair but NOT splits in the rear and hear the differance> more cleaner louder bass and volume in music. Try it and find out.

6x9's always hit different and leave gaps of bass with a sub on and cause delay.

 

_________________

Black ED Ghia
V8 with lpg
Full leather
waitng on sunroof..

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:52 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 6275

Joined: 24th Nov 2004

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

Agreed, 6x9's are the tools of lucifer himself.

You'll find top line audio brands don't make 6x9's at all.
- Hertz Mille
- Focal Utopia
- DLS Nobelium
- DynAudio Esotar2
- Morel Supremo
- OzAudio MatrixElite
- Seas Lotus Reference

 

_________________

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow - 97.5rwkw
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. 293rwkw - 12.427@109 - 0-1000m 24.838@221

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:52 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 2098

Joined: 19th Jan 2005

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 5L 5 speed Fairmont Ghia

Location: St Maoris
NSW, Australia

lethal EA wrote:
This might be for u or not..

turn off LOUD if u got it on and retune it>

I no heaps of cars that sound boomy from outside and shake heaps inside but sound quality is s**t cause the bass is too overpowering and not clean.

A good stereo should not need LOUD on ever!


I'd argue with you. Mine sounds better with Loud on than off. from both inside and outside the car. I Just turn my sub down a bit futher at the H/U.
It would really depend on what sort of setup you are running.

 

_________________

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:13 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 6275

Joined: 24th Nov 2004

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

All 'LOUD' does is it's a fixed EQ setting, with the subbass and highs tweaked up higher than normal. And in some decks there's dynamic range compression implemented as well (what ad companies do to make TV ads sound louder than the programs).

Problem is you miss all the important mid-bass frequencies, which are drowned out by the rattle inducing sub bass. mid-range is also compromised but to a lesser degree.

And ofr the decks that mess with the dynamic range, you lose the difference between quiet parts of the track, regular parts (ie. most of it), and the genuinely loud parts, they all get averaged to the one level.

It murders the music, but if you're listening to heavily processed 'pop' and 'top40' type stuff it's probably already done anyway.

 

_________________

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow - 97.5rwkw
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. 293rwkw - 12.427@109 - 0-1000m 24.838@221

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:32 am 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 326

Joined: 18th Feb 2007

Ride: ED GHIA V8

Location: ford town
NSW, Australia

a_total_tool wrote:
Mine sounds better with Loud on than off. from both inside and outside the car. I Just turn my sub down a bit futher at the H/U.
It would really depend on what sort of setup you are running.



U say ur stereo sounds better with LOUD on, well what is the max volume u get??
Have u ever listened to how music volume changes the higher the volume goes toward full? U think u have just hit max but turn the volume up more and the music just gets louder and stronger and still clean. You cant get that loudnes with LOUD.

All my stereos have never used LOUD and my volume goes to full ball and the bass cracks ur head in and the volume just raises and raises.

Example my stereo is Pioneer where the volume goes to 62 (max), i have it decent loud - not extreme on 54 then turn it up for some more fun to 57-59 then when a top song is on to 62 where it just might hit clippipng with just a touch of distortion which i dont care but u cant talk in the car. And its f**k loud ur ears ring, but as i said i can turn it down to 48 and its still got volume.

 

_________________

Black ED Ghia
V8 with lpg
Full leather
waitng on sunroof..

Image

Last edited by lethal EA on Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:34 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 2098

Joined: 19th Jan 2005

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 5L 5 speed Fairmont Ghia

Location: St Maoris
NSW, Australia

data_mine wrote:
All 'LOUD' does is it's a fixed EQ setting, with the subbass and highs tweaked up higher than normal. And in some decks there's dynamic range compression implemented as well (what ad companies do to make TV ads sound louder than the programs).

Problem is you miss all the important mid-bass frequencies, which are drowned out by the rattle inducing sub bass. mid-range is also compromised but to a lesser degree.

And ofr the decks that mess with the dynamic range, you lose the difference between quiet parts of the track, regular parts (ie. most of it), and the genuinely loud parts, they all get averaged to the one level.

It murders the music, but if you're listening to heavily processed 'pop' and 'top40' type stuff it's probably already done anyway.


You got a point. I had corrected the loudness issue with adjusting the low-to-mid frequency range (there is a lot of adjustment with my H/U ).

And Chris, you last sentence would be the most important. What sort of music do you listen to? This would determine what sort of sub you need, as well as what sound settings to use.
If you are listening to dance/pop (or anything that has a lot of fast, bass hits) you should be looking to have a sealed box (and probably looking at smaller subs).
If you listen to music that is slower (probably looking at rap/RnB/reggae etc), ideally you can look at a ported sub box (and larger subs).

One thing that I have noticed with my sub (which is in a ported box) is that the bass can be sloppy when I play songs that have a fast pace. When playing these sort of songs (which is not often), I usually have to compromise my tuning settings, but I only drop the level at the H/U (I drop mine from -2 to -4, so it is not much), and that can make all the difference.

 

_________________

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:45 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 2098

Joined: 19th Jan 2005

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 5L 5 speed Fairmont Ghia

Location: St Maoris
NSW, Australia

lethal EA wrote:
a_total_tool wrote:
Mine sounds better with Loud on than off. from both inside and outside the car. I Just turn my sub down a bit futher at the H/U.
It would really depend on what sort of setup you are running.



U say ur stereo sounds better with LOUD on, well what is the max volume u get??
Have u ever listened to how music volume changes the higher the volume goes toward full? U think u have just hit max but turn the volume up more and the music just gets louder and stronger and still clean. You cant get that loudnes with LOUD.

All my stereos have never used LOUD and my volume goes to full ball and the bass cracks ur head in and the volume just raises and raises.

Example my stereo is Pioneer where the volume goes to 62 (max), i have it decent loud - not extreme on 54 then turn it up for some more fun to 57-59 then when a top song is on to 62 where it just might hit clippipng with just a touch of distortion which i dont care but u cant talk in the car. And its f**k loud ur ears ring, but as i said i can turn it down to 48 and its still got volume.



I have never turned the H/U up past 50 (my ears ring at this point) and it is still clear.

But I mainly listen to rap/hip hop.

 

_________________

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Last edited by Ballast on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:53 am 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 326

Joined: 18th Feb 2007

Ride: ED GHIA V8

Location: ford town
NSW, Australia

We got similar decks and u dont go past 50.
Trust me in re tune ur stereo with LOUD off and taking the volume to 59. My splits are still going strong and have not blown in 4 years. (might be time to upgrade now :D )

 

_________________

Black ED Ghia
V8 with lpg
Full leather
waitng on sunroof..

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:59 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 326

Joined: 18th Feb 2007

Ride: ED GHIA V8

Location: ford town
NSW, Australia

a_total_tool wrote:
My System is as follows:


Focal 6 H1 (Run off the H/U)
Parcel Shelf: Factory Premo speakers (run off the factory amp)


I have never turned the H/U up past 50 (my ears ring at this point) and it is still clear.



The reason u cant get passed 50 clear with volume is cause ur using factory and aftermarket stuff, factory can only go so far max, and off the deck well thats just a waste.

Dont get confused with clear and volume clear, any stereo can sound crystal clear with LOUD on and awesome when u close the windows and are in a quiet place with the volume at 3/4 max.

I take mine to full and people freak how sharp it is. Mine is tuned with like 3 volumes> loud (3/4), louder ( a bit more) and f**k loud (max).

But dont get me wrong i cant have every song on 62 clean as some songs just have more volume in them so they go 59-60.

And i can play any thing in my car -rap -r&b -metal :twisted: and high energy vocal trance and i feel like im standing in front of the spaeker box at night clubs.

I can feel everything and mine is also tuned for max bass in car which means u dont have reach forward to hear the bass (empty spots).
You know how the volume sounds fuller and deeper with loud on thats how mine sounds all the way through- no emptyness. Where u sit ur covered in bass.

 

_________________

Black ED Ghia
V8 with lpg
Full leather
waitng on sunroof..

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:31 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names