Fordmods Logo

VIPER 791XV INSTALL - :RANT: !!! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: VIPER 791XV INSTALL - :RANT: !!!
Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:54 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: R32 Rb25

VIC, Australia

Ok people i am in a bit of a dilema..

I have three options here..

1. Leave the Ford Smartlock alone, therefore loose the remote start/timer feature

2. Bypass the smartlock, disonect it and risk the car getting stolen in 30 mins but have remote start and turbo timer...

3. Sell the alarm, and get a cheap mongoose alarm will do the job and save me $$$.

Now here are some pros and cons..

1. $55 will do a dodgy defeat of smartlock, not a secure one.

Its all up to you, if the car gets stolen and insurance recovers it and discovers the bypass (they WILL check, I know an insurance investigator) then you'll be screwed....

Point is, with the car the way you have it now with smartlock, I wouldn't be able to start and drive off without taking forever replacing the engine and BEM computers and synchronising the ignition lock to it. Takes a few hours.

If you install remote start from an alarm, it takes seconds because all of the factory immobilisation is overridden. Find the alarm unit, find the remote start wires, put 12v on them and the car is yours.

2.Smartlock can be overridden, its just not cheap or safe from an insurance point of view. Why defeat a really good immobiliser just to have remote engine start?

3. So sell the alarm.

Remember, smartlock can be overridden but I've seen insurance companies refuse to pay even after an accident that had nothing to do with defeating the factory immobiliser.

My point is Ford has an excellent immobiliser that keeps all the bad guys away, dont f**k with it.

Turbo timer will not work. Remote start will not work. If the key is not in the ignition barrel and the correct digital code transmitted to the BEM (Body Electronics Module) from the ignition barrel then the BEM will stop sending its encrypted digital code to the engine control unit which will shut the engine down.

Its a brilliant system that no aftermarket system is remotely close to. Fords need an alarm, they dont need any extra immobilisers at all, the factory one is one of the worlds best.

What should i do????

Appreciate the feedback!

eMz

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:59 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Your forgetting option Number 4!

Spend a bit more cash and buy the matching Smartlock interface box which will allow Remote Start to work with SmartLock; do it properly or sell it I say.

How much did you pay for the alarm?

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:56 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:58 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

That interface box... Duz it bypass the smartlock or i can still have smart lock and remote start!??!

But u say "matching Smartlock interface box", i take its not Ford smartlock but an aftermarket one that is compadible with smart lock...

How much is this all goin to cost me

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

wtf?
1 question at a time, please LOL!

Now, let me say i didnt install this, so im no tech on this, just saying what ive used to get it working like stock.

It is an *aftermarket* box which has the ability to use a remote start alarm with any ford smartlock equiped vehicle; it does not remove smartlock unless you want it to (afaik) as mine still has smartlock with this box!

The idea of the box is to get the unit (alarm with r.s.) to work WITHOUT issues and WITHOUT losing smartlock; we all know its not hard to bypass smartlock, but this is when you will start getting little issues as your doing something you shouldnt be; also insurance will NOT like this if they knew as you said.
Thats not to say insurance would be pleased to see my car with remote start; but with the flick of a VERY well hidden switch, my car turns back to normal using key and Smartlock key FOB like no alarm was installed.

The unit can be had for $300; yes i know its not cheap but are you doing things properly or not?

Total cost; well that depends on how minded you are, i wouldnt trust myself installing one of these alarms into a modern car, i got it done by a pro, and IIRC is was around 200, i think as its been a while.

Ive been using mine for months now; not a single issue.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:43 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

As someone with both a remote start alarm AND smartlock, I say do it properly, or f**k of the alarm.

And smartlock can be bypassed in 30mins on an EF, and 1 hour on an EL, only need to bring along a new ignition barrel, no need to change ECU or BEM.

I spose if you can change an EL BEM to an EF BEM in less than 30 mins you'd be infront on waiting the whole hour on an EL.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:33 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Thanks heaps Daniel and data_mine..

Daniel, where can i get this matching Smartlock interface box from? The insaller (btw anyone in melb that u would trust)?

data_mine, did u install it like Daniel said?

I guess remote start is pretty mad and turbo timer.. thats initally why i bought the alarm also the fact that i got it for $370 instead of $899, wats $300 extra?

Mad alarm, mad security system and top info from u guys!

Cant be happier :p

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Have sent you PM.

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:31 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

What I did was, to get a second smartlock ignition barrel, and wire it up, to the BEM and alarm, so that whenever the alarm was deactivated, the alarm would engage the second barrel allowing smartlock to see a valid triplet of codes allowing the start (whether by key or remote).

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:51 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

data, how much did that all cost u?

Smart thinking :yes:

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:56 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Did it all myself. So not much, cost of alarm + cost of ignition barrel ($45)

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:00 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

do u think if i told my installer EXACTLY the way u said he sould be able to do it? or is urs a full custom job?

f**k $45 sounds a lot cheaper than $300 for that other unit daniel was saying...

u sure its effective and faultless datamine?

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:05 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Full custom, when I was alarm shopping, every auto sparky I went to said it was impossible. SO I did it myself. A good sparky may be able to follow instructions, but it is easy as to do it yourself. If you want the hard stuff out of the way get them to install the alarm, then fix up the remote start yourself.

Effective yes, I still have my car, it still remote starts. It won't remote start if the alarms been triggered, so I know to check for dings if it doesn't remote start.

Faultless, ALMOST. The smartlock light stays on permanently. I've gotten around that by hiding it, and replacing it with the LED from my alarm - it's blue. And beats the nasty hole originally put in my dash (above the demister switch) to stick a LED. I got a replacement panel, and have done THIS to it:

Say hello Mr. GTech. :D

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:08 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

see now if i attemted that electrical s**t, i garentee u wont see another post from me never again. lol.

" It won't remote start if the alarms been triggered, so I know to check for dings if it doesn't remote start. "

So u have to deactivate the alarm then run remote start? Or can u have the alarm activated, doors locked and it will still start?

I guess if i take ur idea to a sparky, they might not do it for legal reasons.. negligence and other things like that.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next