Fordmods Logo

What kind of Splits 

Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:58 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA FALCON XR8 (Stocko, for now.)

QLD, Australia

I did a fair bit of research a while back on splits and a couple of the better ones that I found where the Eclipse sc8362, Focal (can't remember model no) and Pioneer TSC 160R (yellow cone series). They all have a rrp from $450 - $550 but sounds like you have got the negotiating skills to bring that down as did I with the pioneers from about $500 to $350 (Was spending a fair bit at once though) so good luck with it.

Quote:
simply dont waiste your time with pioneer and sony, jl and cadence are sweet and built well. some companies make good HU some make good drivers. pioneer make nice HU but sony.... well its all looks. The guy at the shop will tell you what u wanna hear but in the end its your dollar. why buy the cheaper option now when you can get something decent and have for years in all the cars your going to own down the track. Save ur cookies and do it properly.

I could be wrong but I am sure Pioneer has won awards for speakers, there splits in particular.

Brice

Last edited by Brice on Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Awards im not sure never heard of any but hey they have to win somethin as they have flooded the oz market as with other upmarket brands they may not meet the criteria for those awards or simply dont bother as the name says it all. I love alpine head units but went for jvc simply for quality, features, price and what i wanted for system hookup. Drivers are JL all round for sound not looks and amps are Coustic. Its a basic system that produces rich clear sound unlike others which use these common advertised, plugged, award winning brands!

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:48 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA FALCON XR8 (Stocko, for now.)

QLD, Australia

Quote:
they have flooded the oz market as with other up market brands they may not meet the criteria for those awards or simply don’t bother as the name says it all.

I would have to disagree look at Sony for example their products were considered an "up market brand" when first released and you can now buy full systems constantly on special from super cheap as they are the only ones who can afford to touch them. A product may start out being able to flash their name about but won't last very long if the product is poor. I think you will find if you do a little research on the awards they are independently carried out, but who knows they may just waiver the selection criteria because their marketing department has been doing good job sounds logical to me. :roll:

I am not saying that Pioneer is the be all and end all of car sound on the contrary they have products that I wouldn't touch for example amps and screens I have also heard better subs, but strongly disagree with you about their high end speakers. Your opinion is that both jl and Cadence are of a high standard in which I would agree on the jl's but have found Cadence to not quite have the edge that the Pioneers Eclipse and jl's had but this isn't based on factual testing just my opinion.

Brice

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

If you want a brand that wins awards then by all means pay s**t of money for em then. :lol: DLS for example, its quite possibly the best stuff out thier but im not gonna pay up to $300-$1000 more for something.

Thier split systems are extremly good quality and they have won countless awards such as thier DLS Ultimate Iridium series for the 8' 3 way split system its gonna set you back just under $2000!!! :shock: Wow.

So yeah the award wining stuff comes at a price, if you can afford it then by all means buy the stuff. If not dont worry your still saving a bit $$$ by not getting the best there is. :roll:

Actully just looking thru thier catalouge some of thier stuff isnt that expensive really mainly just the amps,subs and splits that are the expensive ones.

Ne way as soon as schoolies week is over im heading down to the city and trying some of these speakers out. :P

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: Manual EL XR6

I've got a set of rockford fosgates in the front, very happy with them, and i've got a set of pioneer in the rear that where previously in the front. not anywhere near as good.

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah i dont think i can get RF gear down here, which is a bit of a b**ch. Unless theres are few places in the city i havent been yet that stock them but other wise i cant seem to get a hold of the RF stuff. :cry:

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

high end pioneer and apline stuff is good
otherwise try focal or bostons

you can get boston pros online from the states for like $450-500 shipped, as opposed to the $900 or so you pay for them here!

BOOSTED

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Havent heard ne of the boston stuff but there is a jaycar in the city and im pretty sure they sell Boston stuff so i will check it out.

Cheers

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Pioneer Bullets are great! $285! 220W, 60W RMS. And you can go one step further and get Pioneer Pro Series Splits.

Otherwise, PG make some pretty good stuff.

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

PG?? Whats that stand for?.... Ahhhh Phoenix Gold (spelling?) mabe??

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Yeah, sorry: http://www.phoenixgold.com/

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys...
Spend a bit of money and you'll be stoked with results. However many top-end speakers create better sound but aren't as efficient meaning that you may need an amp to run them or your deck will distort.

I'm running the pro range pioneer splits retail for $550 and they sound f**k awesome. They've won the best splits award for the last 2 years.
Model number:

TS-C160R

here's a pic:

and them installed:

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

so those splits went straight into the factory holes without an issue ?
ive got a friend who has some of those he bought like a year ago and has never used and wants to sell em ...

maybe its time to upgrade those poor sonys of mine.

BOOSTED

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

It's only depth you have to worry about Iand I measured that you can fit a magnet max 70mm deep IIRC. That is why I created that thread for ages ago, but now goone. :cry:

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah also another point i want to make is that im looking for splits that will fit straight into the holes of the stock speakers (6') so yeah i like the stealth look. :P

That will determin mostly on what i choose to buy, if they sound good but cost lots and do fit, then im prolly going to get them rather than something thats cheaper sounds rasonable and wont fit. (probally goes without saying really) LOL. :roll:

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 5  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next