Fordmods Logo

What shape should my sub box be? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: What shape should my sub box be?
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:59 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

QLD, Australia

Hey all!

Firstly I'm new to the forums after bagging meself an EF wagon - so hi! I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to audio so no doubt you'll be seeing a fair bit of me around here asking those annoying questions :P

I'm thinking about installing a moderate system - HU/front splits and sub off amp/rears off HU and to save a few bucks and for a bit of fun, I thought i might do it myself. Because I frequent dodgy areas (or at least work in them), i want my sub to be as stealth as possible. Problem is the spare tyre well is taken by the lpg tank. So I want to make a custom sub box that is low and long, to fit across the boot directly behind the seats. Sort of to look like a custom toolbox or better yet, to not be noticed at all. The sub and amp, and prolly rear fill will all be fitted firing into the seats. I should be able to get the volume i need, but tell me, does the actual shape of the box matter? Most boxes are short and square while mine will be long and low. Any thoughts? Also, will mounting the amp on or as part of the sub box damage it by way of shock or anything? I see it quite a bit so my guess is no.

Thanks guys!

Dan.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Generally you'll want at least 100mm from the port at the rear of the sub. Box shape does have an affect on sound, but if its designed to go into a specific area, then i'm sure you wont mind a bit!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
Generally you'll want at least 100mm from the port at the rear of the sub. Box shape does have an affect on sound, but if its designed to go into a specific area, then i'm sure you wont mind a bit!

Thats right so long as the volume of the box is large enough as recommended with your sub as the proper enclosure size and distance from the port then it should all be fine regardless of the shape

If u want take a pic of ya boot and even in paint or somethingjust draw sorta what your after and everyone im sures more then helpful to chip in with ideas.

If you wanna learn abit more about car audio too aaron (pyroay) has written some great doco in this forum check em out...worth the read

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:44 pm 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

Welcome to the forums Dan :) Hope you enjoy your stay...there is a wealth of information on here for you !

Subs in a wagon are a difficult thing - having no separate boot from the cabin does make things a little bit harder...however in saying that you can still have a nice subwoofer setup to compliment your front stage (forget rear fill in the tailgate - it's a waste of time!)...I had 2 12's and 2 10's (yeah I know!) which sounded *alright* (the 10's were bandpassed 50/60/80hz - 120 odd <-- I played around with getting them to sound 'less s**t' with the 12's) and the 12's were LP 50hz.

I had them facing towards the seat backs - it was easier / neater for me to design a box that way too - FYI, I went with 2 X ~1 cubic foot sealed enclosures (~30 litres) which sounded even a little punchy <-- I like punchy (especially for a 12).

There's a pic of my old wagon and its boot setup on here somewhere - FYI here it is again :

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:58 pm 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

Very nice Steve.
Man its nice to have some space to play with.

Sub box can affect sound depending on purpose, it certainly makes a difference with SPL boxes (no parallel walls, baffle size and location, poer flaring, 90degree bends and so on.

For ported there a few rules to folloow but you need to at least ensure there is the same amount of space inside the box behind the back of the port as the port size + the same amount of space outside the box..

No small restrictive spaces where airflow is inhibited etc...

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]