Fordmods Logo

Whats a good speaker cable thickness. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA falcon

VIC, Australia

chong_bonger wrote:
My headunit, a pioneer DEH-P1Y, puts out 4x60 pmpo. The specs in the owner's manual say that it puts out 4x27 RMS. For my headunit to do this, you have to wire in a second power lead, which needs 15A. I think that it would be possible for headunits to put out 4x35RMS, but to buy one of these, you would be looking at >$1000 just for the head unit.

I have seen head units in JB HI-FI that say 4x70W.

Thing is that once HU get to a certain price range, upgrading the internal amplifer power starts to become less of a priority for the manufacturers as anyone who pays $1000+ for a HU is not likely to actually use it and would be using an external one instead. For this reason, many $1000+ HU's will actually remove the internal amplifier altogether (mine hasn't got one, rrp $1699). I suppose 35wrms isn't out of the question (double DIN hu may be able to utilize the extra space to fit a beefier amplifier for example), but i haven't researched this enough to verify 100%, hence i didn't claim that it was impossible, rather unlikely...

Anyways lets stay on topic shall we :P

I personally would look at using about 16gauge for a setup as you've got planned. I use 12gauge to my speakers to be on the safe side, and to give good headroom for future upgrades. It really isn't entirely necessary tho, i just like overkill (i use 8 gauge cable for my sub :P)

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

yeah thats what i want to do. I want to do it once and not have to run new cables again when i get an upgrade for my speaker setup.

cheers

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Use the thick cable, it will make the system sound better, esspecially if your old cable had joins along it. Just make sure both Left and Right cables are the same length... this will help staging and imaging alot.

You cant beat good quality cables in any decent sound system

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
The DMac wrote:
anyway its a pioneer 35 x 4 at 4 ohm and bridged is 100 x 2 at 4ohm. What i am asking is going for the thicker cable gonna lower my quality or something as at the moment it wont have that much power running through it(35 wrms).

Cheers

trust me, it doesnt make 35wrmsX4, it'd probably make 1/3rd of that, and ffs dont try to bridge it.....

bigger cable wont hurt the quality, but also isnt really worth it

read he's original post he says the AMP is 35x4.

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

The stock wiring to speakers in most cars (not all) is perfectly adequate to handle your car audio needs.

For example, the last install I did months ago was on an ED Fairmont, put a decent HU, 2x 6" 3 ways in front, 2x 6x9" 4 ways in rear, monoaureal amp and a 10" sub in the trunk as usual. Besides putting in the usual thick wiring for the power, earth and RCA cables, just left the stock wiring for the speakers and it sounded very decent.

Thicker wiring in my opinion, is a WOFTAM.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:25 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

Those prices sound expensive for that thickness cable?

haggis wrote:
Pioneer / Alpine decks i've found are more around 18-23 watt RMS, and even then i think that reading is in favourable conditions... Of course the high end decks might put out more power than that, but not 35watt RMS per channel

I have never seen a deck tested to propduce much over 20rms per channel even under very favourable conditions....

Rmyers wrote:
chong_bonger wrote:
My headunit, a pioneer DEH-P1Y, puts out 4x60 pmpo. The specs in the owner's manual say that it puts out 4x27 RMS. For my headunit to do this, you have to wire in a second power lead, which needs 15A. I think that it would be possible for headunits to put out 4x35RMS, but to buy one of these, you would be looking at >$1000 just for the head unit.

I have seen head units in JB HI-FI that say 4x70W.

Thing is that once HU get to a certain price range, upgrading the internal amplifer power starts to become less of a priority for the manufacturers as anyone who pays $1000+ for a HU is not likely to actually use it and would be using an external one instead. For this reason, many $1000+ HU's will actually remove the internal amplifier altogether (mine hasn't got one, rrp $1699). I suppose 35wrms isn't out of the question (double DIN hu may be able to utilize the extra space to fit a beefier amplifier for example), but i haven't researched this enough to verify 100%, hence i didn't claim that it was impossible, rather unlikely...

I'd say that isabout the most powerfull one i have heard of although i've never seen that tested....

I agree with the above comment, the more expensive headunits go to no internal amplification. My HU (also RRP $1,699 (probably the same unit) does not have any nor does Pioneer P9 or Alpine F1, nor does many Nackamici decks or many of the Dennon range......

Pioneer amp producing 4 x 35rms is likely to be roughly double the output of any most headunits and hence around 3db louder.....

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:49 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA falcon

VIC, Australia

Pyroay wrote:
My HU (also RRP $1,699 (probably the same unit)

CDA-7998r???

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2