Fordmods Logo

wiring a amp 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: wiring a amp
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xr8

NSW, Australia

hi guys just wondering if anyone can tell me the best thing to ground my amp to and also it has a slot for a remote wire whats that do and do i have to have it connected

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

the ground has to be to bare metal either the chassis or a cable back to the negative of the battery. the remote slot as you call it is to connect power from the head unit. basically what happenes is there is 12volts to the amp all the time and the head unit when switched on sends power to the remote terminal of the amp and activates an internal relay (electronic switch) this relay then lets the power from the battery to power up the amp. the head unit will either have a remote out or power antenna out wire on the rear, its normally blue in color and insulated.

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

personally id run the ground to the battery.
also make sure you run the positive straight from the battery, with an inline fuse as close to the battery as possible.

use atleast 8ga cable, and if the amp is fused at any more than 40a, use 4ga for both the positive and the earth.

BOOSTED

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

I ran the ground back to my negative terminal, since then there has been massive corrosion on the terminal. I have been told by some people this is a s**t way of doing it, others it is good, but is what is causing corrosion, others that it the best!!

Can someone clear this up for me!! :oops: I am sick of having a sub and amp that dont work!!

Also, is there anywhere in an EF that you can ground an amp to without having to drill though floor/firewall etc?

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:17 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Lincoln Navigator

Oustide Australia

There are heaps of posts on where people have run their cables. I ran mine through the drivers kick-panel and into the mudguard. I ran 4 guage and it was a bit tricky, but definately do-able.

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

if the battery terminal is constantly corroding firstly clean it with boiling water then remove terminal, clean battery post and terminal with wire brush, there are felt pads soaked with oil that are available. they fit over the battery posts and stop the acid from creeping up the post causing corrosion. fit these then fit terminals and apply vaseline over terminals or there is a spray available.

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Raabz - I have my cables up through the kick panel too, but i meant more along the lines of an actual grounding point. Have a look at a VS commodore parcel shelf under neath, there are all these weird bits of metal all over it with holes in them, brilliant for grounding with!!

Joolz - These little felt bits, i am assuming they are at autobarn or repco? How much do you reckon they set you back? I have had it corrode through the spray on stuff in 2 weeks, literally.

Was bad, so i got a battery place to boiling water it, then they cleaned it with a wire brush, then coated it in there stuff, and two weeks later it was obviously starting to corrode again!! :? It is really worrying me

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

nicco wrote:
I ran the ground back to my negative terminal, since then there has been massive corrosion on the terminal. I have been told by some people this is a s**t way of doing it, others it is good, but is what is causing corrosion, others that it the best!!

Can someone clear this up for me!! :oops: I am sick of having a sub and amp that dont work!!

Also, is there anywhere in an EF that you can ground an amp to without having to drill though floor/firewall etc?

In the boot, there's a place where those plastic things hold the trim into place...I just pulled one of them out and bolted to the chassis in the hole where that used to go to. I'm talking level with the spare tire, but on the right side. I guess this could be helpful if your amp is in the boot (if you can make any sense of it).

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah repco, bursons or you can make your own if you have some felt laying around. just as long as its thick enough to absorb some oil. just cut them into rings about 40-50mm dia. and the inner hole large enough to go over the post with a tight fit. soak in some engine oil and wack em on...

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Quote:
In the boot, there's a place where those plastic things hold the trim into place...I just pulled one of them out and bolted to the chassis in the hole where that used to go to. I'm talking level with the spare tire, but on the right side. I guess this could be helpful if your amp is in the boot (if you can make any sense of it).

:? Smackdown, do you mean those plastic pin thingos that hold the carpety trim on the side wall? i am having trouble seeing which ones you are talking bout!! And my amp is under the drivers seat, but it should be right running ground to boot? shouldnt it...

Thanks joolz, i will sus those things out hopefully on good friday (only day i have off for a few weeks!!)

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

I did mean those, but i thought your amp was in the boot. Don't ground there, its too far away. Since you're already under the seat, you might as well ground back to the battery. Its better anyway as there's less resistance, meaning more power for your amp!

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

if the amp is under the front seat, definitely run the earth to the battery.
if you really wanted to, you could use one of the bolts that hold the seat in, but i would definitely run it to the battery.

BOOSTED

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i have my amp grounded to the where the rear seatbelt/rear seat bolt to the chassis its only been 3 days but no probs so far except sometimes when i crank it i get a wierd smell i dunno if its that or the amp?? any ideas

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Cool, thanks, i will leave the ground where it is, but is there any chance that it could be what is causing the corrosion? Cause it only really startedf when i put the ground cable onto the terminal.

(NB: Still going to sus out those felt pads though)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]