Fordmods Logo

18s on EL fairmont. Legal? Insurance cover? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ef

SA, Australia

joshannon.7 wrote:
ok ur bigest stock rolling diameter is 2087.3mm
235\30\20 tyre rolling diameter is 2038.9mm
235\35\20 tyre rolling diameter is 2112.7mm

is that what ur after guy?

so what your saying is the diameter of a 20 with tyre is2112.7mm. thats 211.2 cms. thats 2.11metres? i dont think so. how the hell did you come to that measurement? i have 2 cars with 20's, just measured the diameter of the wheel and 225 35 20 and its 660mm - 670mm. better be careful with the 'facts' we give each other guys. someone could make a decision based on so called 'facts' and either stuff up something big time or have major probs with insurance companies/ the cops.

there are three types of people in this world:
those that can count and those that can't

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:40 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

rolling diameter, in other words, the distance AROUND the tyre, more accuratly refered to as the circumference

fordriver1 wrote:
so what your saying is the diameter of a 20 with tyre is 2112.7mm. thats 211.2 cms. thats 2.11metres? i dont think so. how the hell did you come to that measurement? i have 2 cars with 20's, just measured the diameter of the wheel and 225 35 20 and its 660mm - 670mm. better be careful with the 'facts' we give each other guys. someone could make a decision based on so called 'facts' and either stuff up something big time or have major probs with insurance companies/ the cops.

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR Fairmont

VIC, Australia

thats right expression

and my facts come from the vic roads website :D
so they are true

Here is something a bit simpler
Measure your tyre from the bottom to the top, now if you were to get 19 20 21 inch or what ever rims, the height from the bottom to the top must not change
to be safe best to keep it as close as possible so it doesnt affect your speedo

i will draw you a diagram just so everyone understands...
BUT CHECK WHAT THE RULES ARE IN YOUR STATE

Attachments:
untitled1.JPG
untitled1.JPG [ 33.17 KiB | Viewed 114 times ]

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA 3V Tunna

VIC, Australia

this is a friends car and its insured WITH the wheels on it now which are 20's

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

joshannon.7 wrote:
ok ur bigest stock rolling diameter is 2087.3mm
235\30\20 tyre rolling diameter is 2038.9mm
235\35\20 tyre rolling diameter is 2112.7mm

is that what ur after guy?

thats gotta suck 235/35/20 is .4mm to big :lol:

imagine not being insured over .4 of a mm :lol: :lol: :lol:

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EBII Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Do lots of burnouts, I'm sure you could wipe off .4mm then :lol:

Ben

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon X-DEF

VIC, Australia

Hey Mooseman, I got my insurance with AAMI by listing modifications and accessories to get more coverage. I suppose the next best option is Just Car, run by AAMI anyway.

I hate dealing with the insurance companies though. Everytime you talk to them the operator has a different idea of what you'e allowed! I was insured by with RACV when I first got my license, and had all my modifications and accessories listed. I asked the guy to double check the rules for me, then document my call for records. A year later they claimed they would have never insured someone my age with any modifications at all and that there was no record of me having called them. I wonder how they thought I purchased the insurance then...

My tip - check and double check the legalities, then get it from the insurers in writing, then photocopy it, then ring them again and get another copy. Sneaky buggers... It's just as bad as dealing with real estate agents (no offence to any decent agents using the forums!).

250ci 4-speed XD S-Pack, XE S-Pack front bar & rear bumper, 14"x7" & 14"x8" Chevoit 5-slotters, 60mm drop, Fairlane interior, Clarion CD tuner, 4" & 6"x9"s, Pioneer amp.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Just Cars is owned by AAMI anyway, its just more for modified cars

RACV? pfff i would never deal with them again

when our 25th Anniversary XF was smashed it took us 2 years to get a pay out from them
they said that the model we have isnt in their books so they cant value it but 2 years before they valued it at $11000 because only 250 were made in that colour

they wanted to give us market value on a stock falcon and told us to take out anything extra on the car

so my mum told them we'll take out the electronic sports cluster, air con, door trims, seats, sport suspension, colour coded bumpers, LTD chrome wheels... and they were like hey but then your stripping the car, so we told them well they're the differences between the stock falcon and the 25th Anni

after 2 years of fighting we got $5000 out of them for it because they lost at VCAT i think it was

mind you while this was happening we found out they sold the car for $50 to a wrecker

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Bastards!

Like I said, they're as bad as real estate agents - (sorry to divert the thread!) I got a lettter in the mail informing me the landlord had switched agents. Fair enough I thought, but then I realised the new agent wanted this and the next months rent, when I just paid this and the next months to the old agent and they didn't bother to check during the transfer!

I'm sure they would've felt real gulity about quietly pocketing it...

Can't trust 'em at all. Do the right thing and they'll still try to stooge you.

250ci 4-speed XD S-Pack, XE S-Pack front bar & rear bumper, 14"x7" & 14"x8" Chevoit 5-slotters, 60mm drop, Fairlane interior, Clarion CD tuner, 4" & 6"x9"s, Pioneer amp.

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Shannons will insure cars that are highly modified, as long as they are legal & road worthy, and you have the paperwork to backup mods if required, eg engi report. I do believe they have some age restrictions tho, i think it's under 21 is a no go zone for them.

IIRC i've got about 15 or so mods listed on my policy for the EB, with a few more to come. I'm under 25, well for a few more mths yet anyway, and rating one, my insurance isn't too pricey, considering my EB is far from a stock Ghia. :D I've also got my modified mighty boy ( engine swap & engi cert ) & torana turbo project insured with them.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Yeah Shannons have a pretty good reputation. Just Car are ok and I think Vigil are good for classic and restored cars.

I guess a good rule of thumb if you're serious is that if they will insure your house, don't get them to insure your car. Stick with a company who knows cars and knows what they're on about.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

muzzlecar wrote:
Yeah Shannons have a pretty good reputation. Just Car are ok and I think Vigil are good for classic and restored cars.

I guess a good rule of thumb if you're serious is that if they will insure your house, don't get them to insure your car. Stick with a company who knows cars and knows what they're on about.

LOL. Shannons will also insure sheds & you can even get cover for all your motoring memorabilia that's inside your house as well. Hell they even do bike insurance now. I was thinking about getting myself a bike, but i think i should finish a couple small projects off first.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SZ Titanium & ZG Fairlane

SA, Australia

You gotta watch out for your excess with mods though. My car is insured and I have a $2500 excess. because of the mods. Recently the car got damaged and needed about $6000 worth of repairs my insurer said that they would cover $2575 worth. In other words I had to pay everything except $75. Basically I have ended up having to pay for the whole repair myself so all this money going out to insurance has seemed pointless so far.

F6 Rspec #139 - Stock Car Racing

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

phatal wrote:
You gotta watch out for your excess with mods though. My car is insured and I have a $2500 excess. because of the mods. Recently the car got damaged and needed about $6000 worth of repairs my insurer said that they would cover $2575 worth. In other words I had to pay everything except $75. Basically I have ended up having to pay for the whole repair myself so all this money going out to insurance has seemed pointless so far.

Who the hell are you with to have an excess that high? Mines only $400 on the EB & Torana! All my car's are modified to some degree or another, and all insured as such. If my g/f's driving my mighty boy, the excess is $1000, but for me it's also $400. I shoehorned in an engine more than 50% larger in capacity & Hp than stock! :twisted: Yet the insurance & excess are still very reasonable.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SZ Titanium & ZG Fairlane

SA, Australia

I am with an offshoot company of RAA. Basically not too many insurance companies would touch me with the mods that I have at my age (when I was under 25) so I went with the only one that would give me cover and didn't care about the price. I have looked into changing companies but recently I got the suspension done in my car and now it is about an inch under the legal limit in SA (god damned eye brow height measurement) so therefore is unroadworthy which is a big no no for insurance. Basically the one I am with now doesn't care about what mods you do they just slug you extra for it in excesses or premiums.

F6 Rspec #139 - Stock Car Racing

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next