Fordmods Logo

BA XR - Fog Lights AND Cornering Lights Mod ? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: BA XR - Fog Lights AND Cornering Lights Mod ?
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

I've been doing some other work recently, and for one reason or another got dragged over the 'how do fog lights' and 'how do cornering lights' work on various models.

I know there are lots of people wanting to fit Foggies to their BA. I'll leave that to other people.

But those of you with foggies already, are you interested in getting them to work as both manually switched foggies AND cornering lamps at the same time?

That is, when you want them to both come on at once, you hit the dash switch. But when they are off, and it's at night and you turn a corner, one or the other foggy comes on just like the factory cornering lamps?

This kind of mod is not high on my list of priorities, but given that I'm doing some serious loom replacement work, I could give it a go and write it up if anyone is interested (might take some time though!)

Lukeyson

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Back on this again.

I just recently pulled the guts out of a Power Distribution Box. While this particular mod wasn't on my mind, the work I was doing led me past the Fog Light relay and how it all hooks together.

I'm going to take a crack at doing this on my XR. My approach will be:

(1) Remove the Fog Light Relay from the PDB. Use the line from the Fog Fuse as the supply line, and the trigger from the Factory Fog Switch, to be used as the 'fog' trigger for my circuit. I will be able to use standard 'tongue' connectors to insert into the sockets in the PDB vacated by the Relay. I also need to insert a new relay into the supply line, and use the parking lights as the trigger, so that the cornering lights only come on when it's dark. This should work whether I have manually switched the lights on, or the auto-lights have triggered it on.

(2) Route the 'Turn Signal' lines from the Indicator Stalk to the 'Left' and 'Right' inputs to my circuit. In my case, these lines are in the Dash Harness, but not in the RHS engine bay loom on the XR. So I will get some mini-spades, clip them into the main connector in the RHS footwell junction box, and route those into the engine bay. Nice and tidy.

(3) Diodes - will be used to allow current in from either the Fog trigger that triggers both lights, or the Individual Corner Light trigger, and prevent feedback into the inactive lines in each case - to 2 x 12V Relays. Power supply will be from std Fog fuse via the 'Parking light triggered' supply relay. Outputs will be to each individual Fog Light.

(4) Either Cutoff the foglight connectors at the back of each lamp from the current loom and put them on my loom or find some foggy connectors from spare hacked-up looms in my shed and make a whole new loom so that the car can be returned to factory by removing the loom and reinserting the fog relay.

So my core-item kit list is wire, 3 x relays and sockets, 4 x Diodes, some spades for the Loom Junction box and some Fog Light harness plugs. Plus various misc bits like other spade/tongue single and block connectors.

The only question left is, do I want to have some way to stop the Cornering Lamp operation by inserting a switch somewhere? Or should I let it always function at night? I'm thinking no switch myself, but I could easily intercept either the supply or ground line for the night-time trigger. Worth a thought anyway.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Lukeyson on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Do you need to be careful when they are cornering lamps, ie the current running to 1 only may burn out that globe. So maybe also some resisters so that they dont see too much current when only one is on.
Just athought
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Not really.

The Fogs are in parallel, which means they are each supplied direct from a 12V source.

Your suggestion would be a concern if they were in series, where 12V supplied one fog, which then supplied the other Fog before going to ground.

Nice thinking though!

On a slightly different note, does anyone know if the connector for the foggies is some sort of standard part - that might be available from somewhere separately? I don't hold out much hope on that, I've not seen them myself anywhere else before.

Luke

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]