Badly faded paint 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Badly faded paint
Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:09 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon AU2

VIC, Australia

Hi everyone on mods
First post as I just registered, I have an AU2 congo green colour went through a car wash last year and totally stuffed the paint on roof, bonet and part of the boot. Carwash took no responsibility so got a quote to resparay whole car $2000.00 trying to get out of forking that sort of coin out so any suggestions?? is there a wonder polish out there that might make it look at least reasonable for the time being. I will have to use a buffer as by hand I am wasting my time.

Post subject: Re: Badly faded paint
Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

tryed cut and polish?

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

We need pics.

"Stuffed" doesn't tell us whats wrong with it either, if it took all the clear off, all the polish in the world wont help unfortunately.

Paint and panel work is generally quite expensive if you have to pay for it. A $2K respray is unlikely to be a quality job, unless thats mates rates or something.

Throw some pics up and we can see, and try to help if possible. :)

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

SLO247 wrote:
We need pics.

"Stuffed" doesn't tell us whats wrong with it either, if it took all the clear off, all the polish in the world wont help unfortunately.

Paint and panel work is generally quite expensive if you have to pay for it. A $2K respray is unlikely to be a quality job, unless thats mates rates or something.

Throw some pics up and we can see, and try to help if possible. :)

i agree there mate

is the paint cracked or just oxidized or is the clear coming off ?

and if it is the clear coming off and i got offered $2k for a respray of the whole car i would be very sus as to if your just getting a sand off clear and re cleared or if the paint is going to be s**t and they cut corners etc

and if paint is coming off from a car wash that would mean its had some bad patch ups/paint work on there

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon AU2

VIC, Australia

Hi To all

Thanks for the tips, I will take a few pics in the next week or so and post them, the paint faded and looked like it had a white coat on it, gave it a cut and polish with a buffer today and looks a lot better, the 2 grand job is a panelshop that looks after our company cars so that speaks for itself I suppose.
I had the car since new and not in a hurry to sell it so going to spend a bit of money on it so far I got rid of the factory sound system and replaced it with a JVC dvd player got a set of 17 inch Tckfor wheels fitted with Continental tyres got it lowered with King springs next is an exhaust system and maybe an aftermarket air intake don't want to stand out like a sore thumb just to be neat.

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

AU2VARGA wrote:
Hi To all

Thanks for the tips, I will take a few pics in the next week or so and post them, the paint faded and looked like it had a white coat on it, gave it a cut and polish with a buffer today and looks a lot better, the 2 grand job is a panelshop that looks after our company cars so that speaks for itself I suppose.
I had the car since new and not in a hurry to sell it so going to spend a bit of money on it so far I got rid of the factory sound system and replaced it with a JVC dvd player got a set of 17 inch Tckfor wheels fitted with Continental tyres got it lowered with King springs next is an exhaust system and maybe an aftermarket air intake don't want to stand out like a sore thumb just to be neat.

sounds like oxidizes paint mate
give it a rough cut and polish (its basically a heavy deoxider) then run it over with the mother 3 step wax system to bring back the shine and to remove any defects the cut and polish left behind and to protect it :)

if you have orange peel you will want to sand it smooth and buff then protect it (paint sealant id recommend most after a buff youll find a freshly buffed paint will love paint sealant then id recommend waxing it for good measure)

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 AU Fairlane Sportsman

NSW, Australia

It sounds like the car wash people had used too much chemicals in the pre wash. The same thing happened to m wifes 93 Laser. It was sparkling shiny before I went to the local car wash, which was the first time that I have ever put my own car through one. I drove it home to dry it off and the chamois just stuck to the paint like there was no polish on it at all. I regularly polish my cars and I went back to them straight away after seeing that the car was matt red. First off the guys argued that they did nothing wrong and there was no way the car wash took the shine off the car. He called me a liar but as we were arguing about it, a woman and another 2 guys arrived to complain about the paint on their cars. We were all told to bring our cars back during the next week and the panel shop next door will have a look at them. Anyway, when I took my car in the guy admitted that the pre wash was over charged with a chemical which stripped the polish off about 30 cars. After a day in the shop where it was buffed back to a reasonable shine I took it home and over the next 6 months, I put polish and wax onto it about 4 times and it eventually came up presentable. It was a good thing that Mr. Ford had applied a good coat of paint at the factory because if it happens today then one buff and it would have probably go back to the undercoat. AU2 Varga, I would polish it with a good brand of polish every 4 weeks for about 3 months and then see how it comes out. Don't use a cutting polish just a good quality liquid polish something like the Turtle Wax bottle in green. I use the blue one on my wifes Impreza and the paint is still like new and it is a 02 model with 200K on the speedo. Good luck.

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 AU Fairlane Sportsman

NSW, Australia

Sorry I should have said, try the Mothers polish and waxes. They do have some great products and of course are a sponsor of Fordmods.

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

get it cut and polished. both mine and the gf's cars are old Fords. mine a 91 EB. hers a 90 Corsair. hers being red is s**t to keep shiny but i polish and wax it monthly and but it looks really good. same with the EB. both original paint. so an AU has no excuse :lol:

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

do yourself a favour and don't take it thru a car wash.. just diy

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]