Fordmods Logo

BF XR6 Boot won't open at times 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: BF XR6 Boot won't open at times
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Hi guys. Every now and then my boot lid gets jammed. You can here ?the relay clicking inside the car when you press the boot button on the instrument panel and on the remote. The blinker lights flash 1x with the remote but it does not seem to be unlocking the boot lid. Had left it for about 12hrs once and then it worked. Weird situation. Have used the boot release behind the seats and this works. Have pulled apart the lock mechanism in the boot and given it a clean up but it's still does it every now and then. Any suggestions what it could be?
Could it be the locking mechanism in the boot itself?

UPDATE:

I brought a second hand boot locking mechanism from wreckers $95, however it still only opens every now and then. The boot release cable works but the remote (boot) and boot button on dash still won't open the boot
After I use the boot release cable it opens and goes back to normal...then a few days later it won't open!!!
Any ideas?

Your help would be appreciated.
Cheers

Post subject: Re: BF XR6 Boot won't open at times
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 97 TICKFORD XR6 Manaul

SA, Australia

mine dose the same but has seemed to fixed its self over the last month so fingers crossed it stays like that.

as for what is/was the cause have no idea tried cleaning, adjusting even it swaping over then back to the original didnt matter what i did so i just started just the button on the key pad.

but now its fine i can use either the button on the dash , the one one the key pad or the key itself.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

just a suggestion, have a look at the striker plate / latching mechanism for any scuffed or shiny areas where it might be binding up - you may be focussing on the electrical side but it could possibly be mechanically fouling so even though the solenoid is working it isn't actually releasing - it may not be this but its certainly worth a bit of a look...(I had this problem years ago in an XA coupe but with an added afterward solenoid - turned out it was just a bit tight - you'd never notice it with the key because as you turned it you'd also lift up on the boot - with the solenoid everything has to be clearing for it to release...)

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

One other thing it could be, on AU's they had trouble with splitting a wire inside the harness that goes into the boot lid. My AU had the problem yours is having and I replaced the harness as there was one wire that had been repaired before but had broken again.

It is worth the look as this CAN happen to BA's as well and it could be that wire? it will be hard to see as it usually cracks or breaks where the wire goes through harness black rubber boot.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

this happened to my BA when it was rear ended (while still smashed, it was fine after repairs).

the problem was the boot alingment (obvious). to get around it. pull the boot lid up and while your pulling it press the release button, boot open

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:40 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

cheers for the responses. Come to think of it the boot alignment may be out as I had my car repainted as it was that shockwave colour and ford repainted it at their expense. I do remember seeing the boot off the car. Perhaps the spray painter didn't realign the boot properly.
Anyone know how to realign the boot? Or know how to check if its out of alignment? Will try myself if someone could tell me. Thanks

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:52 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

so does anyone know how to realign the boot lid so that it closes properly?
I'll have to try it..any tips?
Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]