Fordmods Logo

BF XR6 front bumper. Bolts? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: BF XR6 front bumper. Bolts?
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BF xr6, EB

SA, Australia

I have done a search on removing the front bumper on a BF xr6 and read that there should be 2 bolts behind the front number plate. After looking behind my number plate I found the holes but no bolts. I took the car to my local ford dealer as the car is under warranty, but they tell me that no bolts go in there, they are just to help with alignment. As my bumper sags slightly I thought this would help but they tell me it won't and that the sag can't be fixed without alot of stuffing around. Can anyone out there tell me if they have bolts in their bumper behind the numbers plate and if so what do they look like so I can get some. Also if anyone has fixed the sag in their front bumper was this the way to do it or is there another way? Any help would be great thanks.

Post subject: Re: BF XR6 front bumper. Bolts?
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 327 rwkw

WA, Australia

I haven't seen one yet that has been a tight fit, with exception to a few show cars.
My factory one sagged, as does my Fibreglass one, I dont see why you cant put in something behind the number plate to hold it up, good idea actually. I'll look into when I get home on Friday.
Oh and no I dont have any bolts in there either.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

no bolts behind the number plate. do you have the stone tray in place? mine sags about 5mm but im thinking its because i dont have the stone tray

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:06 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

yeah I have the stone tray in and my bumper would sag around 5mm as well.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:23 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

BA's dont have bolts behind the number plate whereas BF's do. It was a change for BF to help the sagging problem.

So if you have no bolts, get some. They are the a fine metric thread (can't remember what size, probably 8mm). Or the bolts used to hold the upper part of the bumper to the rad support (a self tapper type bolt) can be used in their place.

With a bit of stuffing around, you can get the bumper lined up 100%. I know mine is.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

arm79 wrote:
BA's dont have bolts behind the number plate whereas BF's do. It was a change for BF to help the sagging problem.

So if you have no bolts, get some. They are the a fine metric thread (can't remember what size, probably 8mm). Or the bolts used to hold the upper part of the bumper to the rad support (a self tapper type bolt) can be used in their place.

With a bit of stuffing around, you can get the bumper lined up 100%. I know mine is.

Thanks good to know the bolts will help. I was hoping to find out the size of the bolt with out having to remove the bumper, I'll try some 8mm's and see how it goes.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:42 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

There is no captive nut or anything on the body to screw those bolts into.

There certainly is the hole there, and the "thread" is easily damaged as its only a thin piece of metal that you are screwing onto. So choose carefully and don't over tighten as you can f**k the holes pretty easily. Again I know because I have.

If you can get the self taper style bolts used to the bumper to the top of the rad support, I'd recommend them. They are a tight fit, but screw in and tighten up no worries.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

are these bolts able to be fitted to a ba xr front end to help with sagging then?

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

phatba wrote:
are these bolts able to be fitted to a ba xr front end to help with sagging then?

Not sure look behind your number plate and see if the holes are there as in this pic. of my bumper.

Attachments:
bf bumper.JPG
bf bumper.JPG [ 144.54 KiB | Viewed 336 times ]

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:17 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Finally got the bolts required to fix the sag in my front bumper. I got them of a bloke at work whose mate owns a crash repairer, his mate had some spare and gave them to me. For anyone else who wants to add these to their bumper the look like this.
Attachment:
phone001.jpg
phone001.jpg [ 144.15 KiB | Viewed 267 times ]
They are 25mm long have a 10mm head and a 6mm thread. They went in great and have made a fair improvement to the sag I had. I can probably improve it a bit more with some more time spent on it. Hope this helps anyone else wanting to reduce some sag in their xr bumpers.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]