Fordmods Logo

body work advice. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Should i do up my old xr6 which has some sentimental value?
do it up 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
get rid of it 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
buy a bf or something similar like every man and his dog 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Post subject: body work advice.
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ed xr6, r33 skyline

NSW, Australia

Hi guys after some advice for ed xr6.
I'm trying to decide whether to fix it up or not,its got the usual bumps and scratches for a 18ish year old car(nothing over serious) and a few other bits and pieces that will need doing.
I would also like to know a rough estimation(I would ring around some panel beaters but I'd rather not waste there time just yet).
What would I be looking at for a respray in either cobalt blue or a similar colour(preferably dark blue),the car is currently cobalt blue but has definitely seen better days.
It had the xr8 sprint kit on it but but the last owner hit a wallaby and smashed the front bar up and I bottomed out and tore out the back end of the body kit,if i supplied the bodykit roughly how much I would be looking at to get it put on and sprayed.
Also I'm chasing another set of ed xr6/8 headlights,mine have lost the indicator covers on both sides,if anyone has any for sale or know of a place that I would be able to get some from could you let me know.

Thanks in advance

Got a poll up now,more than open to opinions,personal experience's etc etc

Last edited by aydro on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: body work advice.
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Gets the paint redone, cobalt blue eds are sexy lol

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I agree although they are a pain in the a** to keep clean.
Any idea what a resprays worth?

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

aydro wrote:

Could be anything between $2000-10000, depending who does the job, how much they want to rip you off or how good the job is done.

You're best bet is to take it to the panel beater, let them have a look and they can give you a quote.

Most likely, putting a body kit on and sprayed will set you back $1000ish...but that's just spraying the kit. Maybe $2500-$5000 for whole car to be fixed (dings/dents/scratches) with the kit installation. But this is just a huge guestimation.

I got quoted $3000 at mates rate to fit XR kit and respray car the same colour (not full sand back).

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
aydro wrote:

Could be anything between $2000-10000, depending who does the job, how much they want to rip you off or how good the job is done.

You're best bet is to take it to the panel beater, let them have a look and they can give you a quote.

Most likely, putting a body kit on and sprayed will set you back $1000ish...but that's just spraying the kit. Maybe $2500-$5000 for whole car to be fixed (dings/dents/scratches) with the kit installation. But this is just a huge guestimation.

I got quoted $3000 at mates rate to fit XR kit and respray car the same colour (not full sand back).

only reason I haven't done it yet is I don't have the exact amount of cash to have it done and don't really want to waste their time.
if im getting the car painted the same colour would it really be necessary to have a full sand back?
the dints in the car are only very very small and there is only a couple plus the usual stone chips in the front(nothing bad)

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

most of the cost is in the preperation, id say find out what it would cost to just spray and do the hard work yourself.....

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: elxr6 turbo/te cortina 302w

NSW, Australia

myself when buying/doing up cars in the past have made sure to buy cars that have good paint and panel to start with.cost of respraying can blow out quickly and go over budget. i find it much easier to change a engine/box or diff. sometimes its easier buying another clean car to start on

JUST LIKE A MIDGET AT A URINAL, I BEST BE ON MY TOES

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

EFNA wrote:
most of the cost is in the preperation, id say find out what it would cost to just spray and do the hard work yourself.....

I'd love to be able to do alot of the work myself but I would have no idea what to do,I've never done anything along the lines of panel beating nor do I have anyone to help,I also don't have any tools or space to do any proper work.
Mechanical side I know the basics and have people to help.

elmattxr wrote:
myself when buying/doing up cars in the past have made sure to buy cars that have good paint and panel to start with.cost of respraying can blow out quickly and go over budget. i find it much easier to change a engine/box or diff. sometimes its easier buying another clean car to start on

The paint is decent enough for an 18 year old car,its not show spec but its far from being completely f***ed.
When I originally bought the car I was young and dumb and had a bit of cash to blow....a $3000 car now owes me about $10000 and thats not including rego or fuel costs.
All a big learning curve I guess,I'm mainly trying to decide what to do with it,mainly do I keep it and invest more money in to it or should I just offload it to another young kid.

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: elxr6 turbo/te cortina 302w

NSW, Australia

mate the amounts of money ive lost on cars over the years i prob shouldnt comment.but i will say over the years ive been the one who gives away half done projects or cars cheap cause i get sick of em..but i now rather buy someone elses money pit,i picked up a really mint cond 98 el xr6 that turboed and has 280rwkw. i got it for 11k and have reciepts for over 35k spent just on the mods.and my mates give me s**t about paying 11k for a el. but i love my car.i say if your going to spend the cash then keep car and enjoy it hey! also at the power cruise at eastern creek there was a hq holden show car that looked mint.car was running a 1000hp twin turbo v8 and is a big dollar car and it was for sale for $49000 which i though was a bargain.

JUST LIKE A MIDGET AT A URINAL, I BEST BE ON MY TOES

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:47 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Ford EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

i no ur in nsw but if u cant find anywhere cheaper this might be worth the drive.

http://baysideautostyling.com.au/resprays.html

got a good rep from wat ive heard as well mate

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Nathanhrv wrote:
i no ur in nsw but if u cant find anywhere cheaper this might be worth the drive.

:shock: would cost as much in just petrol there and back......

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:14 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EFNA wrote:
Nathanhrv wrote:

I don't know...I just made it to Yagoona area in a full tank of petrol (68L), basically running on fumes. On the way back, from Liverpool the fuel light went on and had about 50km left in the tank. Total cost of trip was about $180 or so in fuel.

So if you save possibly thousands...it may be worth the trip, however obviously it won't be done in a day and the trip back will see stone chips :P.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

phongus wrote:
EFNA wrote:
Nathanhrv wrote:

I don't know...I just made it to Yagoona area in a full tank of petrol (68L), basically running on fumes. On the way back, from Liverpool the fuel light went on and had about 50km left in the tank. Total cost of trip was about $180 or so in fuel.

So if you save possibly thousands...it may be worth the trip, however obviously it won't be done in a day and the trip back will see stone chips :P.

3400 kms return for a spray job, not including accomodation and food

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

elmattxr wrote:
mate the amounts of money ive lost on cars over the years i prob shouldnt comment.but i will say over the years ive been the one who gives away half done projects or cars cheap cause i get sick of em..but i now rather buy someone elses money pit,i picked up a really mint cond 98 el xr6 that turboed and has 280rwkw. i got it for 11k and have reciepts for over 35k spent just on the mods.and my mates give me s**t about paying 11k for a el. but i love my car.i say if your going to spend the cash then keep car and enjoy it hey! also at the power cruise at eastern creek there was a hq holden show car that looked mint.car was running a 1000hp twin turbo v8 and is a big dollar car and it was for sale for $49000 which i though was a bargain.

Thats what i was considering doing motor wise if i decided to keep it and turn it into a bigger money pit.
The current motor/gearbox would s**t itself just looking at a turbo/supercharger which is what i want eventually.
im mainly trying to decide whether to do this and the rough prices on what i want done before i go laying down a cheque.

Basically im after peoples opinions on whether to do it up or not.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]