Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Drivers door bent back
Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF XR8

VIC, Australia

Hi all,

I listed my EF XR8 on ebay last week coz it's gotta go. So I cleaned it all up and took the photos, and listed it.. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0273619142
(for anyone interested in taking a squiz)

Battery was dead and I needed to run down to the shops, so being the brilliant mind that I am, I thought I'd try and bump start it being a manual and all.

So as I was pushing it out the drive (I had the drivers door open so I could turn it accordingly), I realised the door was about to collect the fence and be bent backwards. So I jumped in, slammed on the brake, but alas, too late. The door bent back.

The door does have a dent in it, still opens and closes, but you need to yank it and slam it.

Have I completely stuffed (i.e. warped) the door, or just bent the hinges you think?

Would anyone happen to have a cobalt blue drivers door lying around they want rid of?

Cheers

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

hi, i have seen a few cars that have had this happen (im a panel beater) have a look at the body where the hinge bolts to, it should run paralell to the sill panel. if its bent in, infront of the front centre bolt you may be able to put a couple of washers on that bolt under the hinge to build it back up. otherwise its door and hinges off and get a panelbeater to pull the front bolt back out level. if not you may just get away with replacing the door/hinge though. good luck

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

I don't have a blue door but I can offer you a good green one for $50 that I paid $150 for a year ago but I gave up on that rebuild now.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

i agree with elf100 make sure it runs paralell,

ex panel beater :)

Go The Mighty Falcon.

2004 BA XR6 FORD FALCON
COLD AIR INTAKE, FLASH TUNER, 2 1/2 PERFORMANCE EXHAUST, JOHN BOWE SIGNATURE SERIES BILLLET THROTTLE BODIE, REFLECTIVE TINT, CLARION 5X7 WITH INBUILT CAPACITOR,NOW WITH FUSION ENCOUNTER 10 IN SUB+AMP, RED SMOOTH CALIPERS, BUT STILL ONE NUTS DRIVER.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

just knock $1000 bucks off what u were after for it...

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:36 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF XR8

VIC, Australia

elf100capri wrote:
hi, i have seen a few cars that have had this happen (im a panel beater) have a look at the body where the hinge bolts to, it should run paralell to the sill panel. if its bent in, infront of the front centre bolt you may be able to put a couple of washers on that bolt under the hinge to build it back up. otherwise its door and hinges off and get a panelbeater to pull the front bolt back out level. if not you may just get away with replacing the door/hinge though. good luck

Had a good look at it and the hinges seem ok. I can't get a good enough look at them though because the door catches on the front quarter panel. The door has a fair sized bend in it, so I reckon it could be just the door.

What a panel beater charge for puttin the door back in shape?

Cheers

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon AUII

QLD, Australia

I smashed my door in a similar manner, but with a bit more force, and a bit more carnige. Took it to the panel beaters, they said i needed a new door and it would be like 500+ easily. I work hard for my money and decided that id prefer to keep it in my pocket. Called around a few wreckers and found an AU door shell in good condition of the same colour for 140$. Took me 2 days of work to take the old one off, rip out the window etc and put it in the new door, and put the new door back on the car. The only thing which doesnt work is the key locking mechanism, one small plastic peice of it broke in the accident and i apparently have to replace the whole locking mechanism thing, which is another 180$ from ford :(. But atm the central keyless locking is doing me fine.

....what goes here?

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

i had a similar incident, except my door wasnt quite closed properly and it swung open mid corner.. (scared the crap out of me)..

after that it caught on the quarter panel and didnt engage the striker properly.. i loosened the hinge bolts and after a little playing was able to adjust the door mount sufficiently to make everything line up and opperate properly once again..

might be worth a shot.. your not gonna make it much worse..

-micth

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

according to the ebay article the car sold for 6k now so it's a moot point.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]