Page 2 of 7 [ 91 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont HID retrofit
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:42 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

MADXF wrote:
Have you got any pics of your efforts on the std EL housing?
I thought I did on my camera, but I can't find them, so I'll take a few snaps.

MADXF wrote:
Actually going back a few years I was told that it wasnt possible to polsih the inside to a clear finish, I didnt want to beleive it and I'm glad I didnt. Given, I am still not finished and I may yet have to make replacement lenses or something to get them completely distortion free.
I suppose try not to go too thin. Also use some sort of protection for the outside lens, as the UV gives them a hiding - perhaps that stick on protector type. I know conventional protectors from new have my XH lights looking like new.
Yeah, I had thoughts of making replacement clear lenses - maybe making a plaster of paris mould of the EL lens, heating clear polycarb/acrylic in an oven, and forming it on the plaster cast. Just spitballing though.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

II was thinking the same RE palster of paris, but apparently the best option is concrete and bog as it is a longer wearing and the plaster can leave powder on the lens a bit.
If I have to go down that path I will either just make the front of the lens using the original as a mould and just form it by hand, or I will buy headlight protectors as use those. I'll cut just the front off the original and glue the replacement on.

I wanted to make sure how it would look so here's a couple of pics.
Turns out it should look fantastic once the projector and projector shroud are in.
Never mind the lopsidedness, it was just sitting there for the photo.

Image Image

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Last edited by MAD on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

I will have to reserve my judgment till you have finished and can see both on the car. You have probably nearly done a too good of job. Looking at the pic it looks like there is no lens on the light. :lol:

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I have thought of the cut and add a headlight protector, only thing is making the join look okay.
I have started with an EL lens, and yes it is a fair bit of work - good thing is then not too many will attempt it as it will be deemed "too hard".
I have started with 180 grade and am using a foam sanding block - if you use a good fluoro light behind it, you can see the high and low spots, so where needs extra and not.
This is a job you do while doing other jobs, e.g. waiting for spraypainting to dry, etc, as you won't do it in one hit. So over a number of sessions, you'll see a result.
This might be worth a look exterior-modifications-f15/those-with-ef-and-el-faded-headlights-t80929.html , although the method is the same, so no surprises.
Would like to find some UV protectant to apply to the finished product though.
Be interesting to see what light improvement you get just with the clear lens, although I suspect the ribbed finish was probably a prism type thing designed to help disperse the light.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I received the projectors ballasts and bulbs on the weekend and just had a bit of a play tonight seeing what I need to remove from the projector to get it to fit.
Of course the first thing I did was to test fire the bulbs and ballasts to make sure everything worked and see just how damn bright they are.... DAMN!!! I love the warmup.
Just before the pic I had test fitted it and found the projector lens was contacting the outer headlight lens, a bit more grinding and its a sweet fit.
Next I need to work on mounting, aiming and deciding on a shroud/bezel to cover up the projector.
I will be maintaining the use of the factory aiming screws in this retrofit.

I'm really itching to get this finished now. But then I realise once I work it out on this broken headlight assembly, I need to re-do it on a good one, and also sand down another lens...ugh.

Here's the latest teaser.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Last edited by MAD on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:48 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Looking good. Yes, finding out that sanding the polycarb covers take some work :( .
You can use laser pointers for aiming - I've got a couple of $5 cheapies from the markets - they have been useful.

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Yeah, I had thoughts of making replacement clear lenses - maybe making a plaster of paris mould of the EL lens, heating clear polycarb/acrylic in an oven, and forming it on the plaster cast. Just spitballing though.

You know there is many products like this resin
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=75

I am also a member of Delica Club, there is a Russian member which has done a projector mod, he cut a hole in the lens and fitted a clear lens with resin.
http://delicaclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=1 ... headlights
You join to see the whole article.

Just to put more ideas in others heads :twisted:

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Looking good. Yes, finding out that sanding the polycarb covers take some work :( .
You can use laser pointers for aiming - I've got a couple of $5 cheapies from the markets - they have been useful.

When I said aiming, I meant more lining the projector up to be neutral with the reflector.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Macca wrote:
Just to put more ideas in others heads :twisted:
Yeah thanks Dude, this will be handy.
MADXF wrote:
When I said aiming, I meant more lining the projector up to be neutral with the reflector.
Yep realised that, but the pointers give you a good idea where the centre of the beam will be for alignment, etc.

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

*shudders* Delica..... lol jks, i dont mind them much, just never ask me to strip or refit one :shock: one is enough for me lol

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
MADXF wrote:
Yep realised that, but the pointers give you a good idea where the centre of the beam will be for alignment, etc.

Ah ok, cheers. I have got a cheapy laying around somewhere, it was a cat toy...haha.

Macca:
That looks like he just masked an area and polished the lens.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

alfy wrote:
*shudders* Delica..... lol jks, i dont mind them much, just never ask me to strip or refit one :shock: one is enough for me lol

Are you in the panel beating game?

I'm driving the mont at the moment as the deli alternator packed it in, I was shocked how easy it was to take it off, about 5mins with procastination. I don't remember anything built in the last 20 being that easy.

As soon as we are settled into our house, the deli gets, flares, bigger tyres (diametre and width) and a lift. Then mods begin on a Ford.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

No real progress yet, still been trying to decide on what I do to cover the projector.
I've got a few ideas, some involve chrome, others involve fibreglass.

But I now have a new possible direction.
Initially I was trying to have the projector mounted to the original reflector so I can aim it with the factory adjusters, but now I am thinking I might just mount the projector directly to the headlight housing and create my own adjusting screws. It will be stronger this way too, I dont know how well the factory mounts would hold the extra weight.
But this brings about another problem, high beam. Since the high beam and low beam are together on the factory reflector, that I wont be using, I will need to find a new high beam reflector that I can mount into the headlight housing.

What common cars have a round high beam reflector of around 2.5"-3" diameter.
I would prefer them to be separately adjusted to the low beams so I dont have to create mounts for them, sort of like XR high beams but obviously I dont need them to be a semi sealed unit with a glass lens as they will be protected by the poly carb lens.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
MADXF wrote:
Have you got any pics of your efforts on the std EL housing?
I thought I did on my camera, but I can't find them, so I'll take a few snaps.

Hey Snap, have you taken some photos yet?
I wanna see how it looks with a separate round high beam reflector.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Nah, haven't yet, when I cbf I'll send you via PM, as this is your thread, and I want to put together my own thread once I've got these lights together.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 7  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next