Fordmods Logo

EL Fairmont HID retrofit 

Page 1 of 7 [ 91 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Post subject: EL Fairmont HID retrofit
Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I stumbled across an old thread that Mavs19 was fairly involved in regarding HID retrofitting.
I've got my self some spares and now I'm keen to have a crack modding a set of EL Fairmont headlights.

I've started by sanding away all the lumps (I think they are called flutes) from the inside of the lens so it will be just a plain clear lens to allow the light beam from the projector to exit with very little refraction. This part of the job will likely be the most time consuming part of it, I have sat at it for about 5 hours over a few days and I'm about half-way done on removing the flutes, then it will be time for polishing.

Initially I was going to try and graft a set of s13 silvia triple projector headlights in to the Fairmont housing, but upon some further research I stumbled across HID retro fits and I need to get me that light output!!.

Anyway, the problem I have now, is trying to get some projectors from somewhere that dont cost almost half the cost again for postage. (eg. USA).
Anyone got any ideas where I could get some locally or in a country that doesnt require a loan for postage?

Cheers,
Paul.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Last edited by MAD on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Where to find HID Projectors
Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

im tempted on the ebay kits, they are $50 plus $50 post ( not sure why the high post price)
anyone had any experience with the cheaper kits?

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

High post is where they make some more profit on the item, hence the relatively low price of the actual item. That and it does cost a bit to post s**t from China to Aus.
The kits on ebay are still far cheaper than anything I've come across in stores, well below half price!
I'll be adding low beam HIDs to my car when I get it back from a respray, with new headlights. Should be able to see at night then! haha
As for moding of your lights, cant help you there, although I'm sure data_mine will be able to give you some pointers.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

ive got 2 x 2009 Subaru Impreza headlights here, that im going to take tha actual projector low beam out of, and install them somehow into my EL headlights. then HIDs would look a s**t better instead of a huge splaying everywhere light beam.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thats exactly what I want to do, but I want to put in proper xenon projectors not halogen projectors.
Where did you get the impreza lights from?

I guess one place for me to start finding xenon projectors is to find out what cars have been released in Australia with xenon headlights. Anybody know?

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

high end BMW's, Mercs, Subarus, even look at the toyota corolla, aurions..they seem to be coming out with facotry HIDs these days (with the proper lense)

i have fitted some proper HID projectors to my mx5:) just to give it the flat top across the beam

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

MADXF wrote:
Thats exactly what I want to do, but I want to put in proper xenon projectors not halogen projectors.
Where did you get the impreza lights from?

I guess one place for me to start finding xenon projectors is to find out what cars have been released in Australia with xenon headlights. Anybody know?

i got mine from work, (crash repair shop) they got broken clips on em so i got em for nothing. i also have a Subaru Tribeca headlight here, which has a factory HID Projector beam in it, ballast and everything mounted under the light. i wish i could get 2, then itd be perfect for a conversion.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

If you ever come across a matching pair (eg L+R or 2xL or 2xR), I'd be more than happy to swing a few dollars your way for them.
I cant decide if I want to go for bi-xenon in order to retain the high-low function of the outer section of the Fairmont lights or to just go with lows and just rely on the inner high beam to light up down the road.
I think I may have found some though, for either choice. I just need to make double sure they will fit.

Then I need to get some ballasts and bulbs.

This isnt going to happen quickly, I'm going to be doing this in my spare time, waiting for the right bargains, etc.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Teaser pic. It's a bit lumpy and therefore distorts the light a bit.
I've done some extra work on it since this photo and I think I have removed the lumps, just need to polish it back to a see through finish and take more pics.

I should have my bixenon projectors, with oem ballasts and philips bulbs in the next few weeks.

Cant wait to be able to see properly.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Last edited by MAD on Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: EL Fairmont HID retrofit
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

That looks pretty impressive already - the lenses would make a much different look.
How did you get such a clear look ? Did you use succesive grades of abrasive paper to do this ?

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks, in this state the light output from them is not very good, the light cutoff is still controlled by the sheild on the reflector, but the beam has a lot of hot spots rather than being the smooth, even output from the normal lens.
I have been using wet/dry grades from 120 to 1200. I also used a small steel ruler to scrape, it actually worked quite well.
Even thogh it doesnt show in the photo, there are still very visible scratches.
As I said above, I have since taken to it again with a sanding disc on my cordless drill and now working on getting it clear again.
I just hope I can reproduce the quality on the other side if this one turns out good.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, it's a shame you weren't closer, I'd have loaned you my micromesh kit, which has grades from 2400 through to 8000.
Wet sanding is always misleading, as the water fills the scratches - only when you dry it do you see the real finish :cry: .
Do try cross hatching type sanding with the various grades if you're not already.
Best of luck with it - do perservere as it does take some time to reach the desired result - but it is worth it.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the offer, but I dont think I will need it.
I know I can get the perfect finish I just wasnt bothering at this point as it was just a check to see how it was progressing. Yeah I dry it out occasionally. Its so annoying, you think you're there then the last little bits dry out and you see all the scratches you havent got to yet.

I'm a long way from giving up yet. The thought of being original is keeping me motivated.
I havent heard of another EF/L that has lights like this, and hopefully its not because it will look like a*** when its done...haha.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Nah, I'll think you'll find the clear look will make it much more modern.

I've been fitting BA reflectors to the std EL light assy's, unfortunately not as straightforward as the fitting to EA-ED lights, but doable, just space is tight.
Unfortunately, the std EF, and EF/EL fairmont lights, the inner triangle section narrows too much, so probably not an option for them.
Actually, you've given me inspiration to try same with the std EL lenses, because TBH, I thought what you've achieved wasn't possible - so I'm glad to be shown I'm wrong 8-) .

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I had thought of doing the BA thing but soon realised there was going to be no room in the high beam area.
Have you got any pics of your efforts on the std EL housing?

Actually going back a few years I was told that it wasnt possible to polsih the inside to a clear finish, I didnt want to beleive it and I'm glad I didnt. Given, I am still not finished and I may yet have to make replacement lenses or something to get them completely distortion free.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 7  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next