Fordmods Logo

EL XR6 / XR8 Headlight Switching From Low To High 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: EL XR6 / XR8 Headlight Switching From Low To High
Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SZ Titanium & ZG Fairlane

SA, Australia

Hey guys I have been driving my EL XR around for almost three years now with really crap headlights. Ever since I bought it I have noticed that when I go from using low beams to putting on my high beams, the low beam lights actually go out and leave only the high beam middle two lights on. This makes it very hard to see anything at night especially to the sides of the road as the light is just projected straight in front of the car. I thought that this was pretty crap but just thought that that was how it was supposed to be as the low beam globes aren't dual filament or anything.

On the weekend while doing another three hour trip at night in the bush with s**t lights I noticed that if I pull back slightly on the indicator stalk towards me while on high beam the low beam cuts in as well so that I have all four lights on and I can then let go of the stalk and it stays that way so that I can actually see.

Now I was just wondering if there is only meant to be the high beams on and not the low beam lights too on high beam, or has my light switch in the stalk been dodgy this whole time?

F6 Rspec #139 - Stock Car Racing

Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: '97 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

Sounds like the light switch is faulty or a bad contact on the wires. You should have all 4 lights on when on hi beam.

Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:56 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

yeah sounds like abit of loose wiring around the stalk.

Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

NSW, Australia

<--------------
<--------------
<--------------

Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

NSW, Australia

maybe pull the switch assembly out and clean up the contacts...

Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Thanks guys now that I know for sure that they are all meant to come on at once I will start looking into it. Cheers.

Post subject: ligths
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Fairmont EF

NSW, Australia

Ive got the same problem with mine, mine is a fairmont I've put XR lights in, they plugged straight into the loom but low beam doesnt stay on when high beam is on

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Today I put my car into ford and got the wiper / headlight stalk assembly replaced, cost me $300 and still only high beam!

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ED 5 Speed GLiXR

QLD, Australia

Yeah i got the same problem with my conversion. I think it has something to do with a relay switch in the engine bay next to the battery.

17" Tezza Steelies, King F**king lows, pedders sports ryders, 2.5" cat back exhaust, pacemaker extractors, T5 manual
Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I just read in another thread that a guy has problems with his ED (i think) headlights and one of the replies was to swap the horn relay with the headlight relay would these be the same rated relays. In other words would this be a safe test and anyone know which ones they are?

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Just an update I got it fixed and it ended up being just two 13 dollar relays in the headlight circuits. Bastards!

Post subject: Re: EL XR6 / XR8 Headlight Switching From Low To High
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hello,

Based on a 93 ED Falcon

procedure is... under black cover beside battery attached to mudguard is 4 relays... 1 yellow 3 grey... the middle grey is the low relay...

this 4 pin relay needs to be exchanged with a 5 pin commonly blue relay that has an "87a" contact in the centre...

under the header tank there is an empty clear plug t arrangement with two female spade contacts in it... from my schematics I have traced out you can either buy this yellow fuse (which i have heard about but not seen yet) or just straight bridge it out with a wire link (make sure wire is of heavier gauge to take both the low beams current...

now the lows come on with the low... and both when the contacts are changed over to the high relay...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Post subject: Re: EL XR6 / XR8 Headlight Switching From Low To High
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:09 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Fairmont, XD Fairmont Ghia

ACT, Australia

timmytimtim,

Thank you for your info.

Just to share my experience; I have completed this XR front end conversion on my EL Fairmont today. What differed was I had 4 light grey relays but all I had to do was change the third relay back (from the front of the car) to a blue relay, once that was done it all worked perfectly (and interestingly enough, I didn't have to put in any fuse or wire link... just change the relay).

Cheers,
Glenn

timmytimtim wrote:
Hello,

Based on a 93 ED Falcon

procedure is... under black cover beside battery attached to mudguard is 4 relays... 1 yellow 3 grey... the middle grey is the low relay...

this 4 pin relay needs to be exchanged with a 5 pin commonly blue relay that has an "87a" contact in the centre...

under the header tank there is an empty clear plug t arrangement with two female spade contacts in it... from my schematics I have traced out you can either buy this yellow fuse (which i have heard about but not seen yet) or just straight bridge it out with a wire link (make sure wire is of heavier gauge to take both the low beams current...

now the lows come on with the low... and both when the contacts are changed over to the high relay...

'80 XD Fairmont Ghia (X-DV8), 351, AOD, B&M MegaShifter, 3.23-9" Diff, XE Ghia Headlights, Clear Front Indicators, Fairlane Grille, XF Front Bumper, XF Taillights & Fuel Filler Cover, Fairlane Dash, LTD F & R Headrests, LTD Dome Light, XF Center Console & Alarm.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]