Fordmods Logo

electrics giving me tha s**t!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: electrics giving me tha s**t!!
Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

hi everbody!!.. i baught a pair of the "cornering lamps for my EF Fairmont".. i wired them up so as to light up like a pair of spotties.. as in both at the same time.. not relying on the indicators to operate as is made by the factory.. To cut a long story short the lights work fine.. Have had the two negative wires from the lights wired up together n bolted onto the chassis for a nice earth.. then ive connected both the positive wires together n run a single red positive wire to the interior to a switch of which has another positve wire soldered into a "Yellow with blue stripes wire" coming off the ignition barrell...

The problem isnt the lights..-they work fine.. its just that when i start the car or are driving... there no power to the "Power windows/power mirrors/cd player/windscreen wipers..

The catch is when i switch the car off but leave the keys switched on as "ACCESSORYS" i have power to everything.. but when i turn the key one more notch to fire the engine i lose those electrical items... :shock: :? :oops: :cry: :(

Can anybody shed some light??

Im thinking of disconnecting the positive red wire out from underneath the steering wheel (ignition barrel) and redirecting it straight to the positive terminal on the battery..

Sorry for the long post but tryed to include every detail... :wink:

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I think you should be using a relay, running it straight through a switch can burn it out and may be affecting other electrical components. How many watts are the lights? How thick is the wire your using. I can give you a diagram on how to wire it up if you give me the info.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The globes inside the cornering lamps are stock... i pulled them out to have a look at what type they are and they appear to be the same ones as the "Stop lamps" in your tailights.. 21watts.. the wire i have used is at best 1mm thick.. ive used a simple toggle on/off switch..

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

So they're 42 watts all up in parallel, they're drawing 3.5A. I'd use some thicker wires which you can pickup cheap at jay car. Also, i'd implement a relay and a fuse. The last thing you wanna do is risk frying car circuits or setting wires on fire. The relay effectively isolates the lights from the rest of your car circuit. (ps: in the diagram, the wires for the toggle switch need not be thick).

Attachments:
wiring diagram.jpg
wiring diagram.jpg [ 42.5 KiB | Viewed 158 times ]

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

fordfreak ef wrote:
The globes inside the cornering lamps are stock... i pulled them out to have a look at what type they are and they appear to be the same ones as the "Stop lamps" in your tailights.. 21watts.. the wire i have used is at best 1mm thick.. ive used a simple toggle on/off switch..

don't get the 12v off your ign barrell - get it from the battery or behind the fuse box on the 12v rail.

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Happy wrote:
fordfreak ef wrote:

don't get the 12v off your ign barrell - get it from the battery or behind the fuse box on the 12v rail.
my bro,s vs commo is wired up in the way i have described but never had any probs... looks like tonight will be spent redirecting the wires to the battery to test and see how that turns out.. cheers guys for the help..!! :wink: 8-)

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

well after i got home from work at 530pm i set about doing the job... i disconected the red positive wire from the ignition barrel and redirected it back through the firewall directly to the positive terminal on the battery...

The cornering lamps light up good...

However there still seems the problem that i lose power to my CD player/windows,mirrors and wipers when i turn the key in the ignition barrel from accessorys to ignition... n bam!

Some thing i hadnt mentioned earlier was that the yellow wire with the blue strips running from the back of the ignition barrel i was using as a source of power "shorted" where i had exposed the copper wire and it slightly touched the outer aluminium casing of the ignition barrel blowing the fuse for the interior lights.. -might this have something to do with the weirdness of having power to everthing at the "accessorys" compared to losing power to the windows/mirrors/cd player and wipers when i turn the key to ignition??

So while driving atm i cant turn the cd player on for entertainment..
I cant adjust my mirrors..
i cant use the power windows..
and when it rains i have no power to the windscreen wipers....

Any ideas as to what my problem might be??
:oops: :oops: :? :?

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:07 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: XR6 TURBO

SA, Australia

Have you checked th fuses under the bonnet? Sounds like one of them is toast!

Turbo....bigger, badder......more....more........more

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

toddy wrote:
Have you checked th fuses under the bonnet? Sounds like one of them is toast!
ive checked all the interior "blade style fusus" but they all appeared to be ok... -no i hadnt tried the fuses under the bonnet near the battery.. -Good thinking toddy!.. will do i trial elimination until i find the screwed up fuse..

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

is fixed now... -Turned out to be the lil circqualaur cap that the wires attach to at the back of the ignition barrel had come loose so was not allowing 12v power on ignition only on accessorys" to my power windows,mirrors,cd player,and windscreen wipers..

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

SA, Australia

hey fordfreak can you post some pics of the lamps on at night and som day time front on shots, pretty keen to attempt this mod aswell,

cheers

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

dsnow_01 wrote:
hey fordfreak can you post some pics of the lamps on at night and som day time front on shots, pretty keen to attempt this mod aswell,

cheers
im bout to post up pics now... in the thread titled "Show us your ef/el's"... in the exterior thread section.. did post pics a while ago.. pre ghia interior -pre cornering lamps and -pre XR skirts.. so am going to update with new pics..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]