Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: Engine Bay clean up
Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:35 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU3 XR8

Power: 191 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Today I got around to doing a basic detail of the engine bay.

Products used
- Driven MSC diluted 3:1 for heavy duty cleaning
- Driven VRL(Vinyl,Rubber,Leather)
- Forever Black

Started off by taking off the engine cover

I then sprayed my Driven MSC solution all over the engine bay. I let it dwell for about 15 seconds before I pressure hosed it off.
Any areas which were still grimey was treated again with the MSC and agitated with a regular paint brush to loosen any stubborn dirt,grease and oil.

Usually I would use glad wrap to conceal any electrical componets, dizzy and pod filters but because I am familiar with my car I just used low pressure when cleaning around these areas.
I treated the rubber hoses and plastics with Driven VRL. This doesnt leave a glossy finish but instead it leaves the surface with a natural new look.

The intake pipe which is rubber was heavily faded so I pulled it off and gave it a treatment with Forever Black. This is a dye used to restore exterior plastic trims and bumpers but I thought I'd give it a go on this.

This was applied the same way as you would with shoe polish. It has a sponge ontop of the bottle which dispenses the dye when pressure is applied. I did 1 coat and let it dry for 5 minutes before I went over it again with another coat. The first coat left uneven streaks so I used a foam wax applicator pad to apply the second.
Here it is back on the car.

The bottom of the engine cover was also cleaned with the Driven MSC solution and brushed to loosen up the oil and grease then pressure cleaned.

Cheers :thumbsup:
Dave

AU3 XR8 Manual, Full options,Pursuit Lip, Boss bonnet, Hurricane extractors, zorst, SS Induction, K&N filter, Flash tuned...191rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]