Fordmods Logo

EOI: Clear headlight lenses for E-series 

Page 4 of 6 [ 76 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: EOI: Clear headlight lenses for E-series
Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

If you wanted to stick with a halogen bulb, yeah. You would need to retrofit something like BA reflectors or similar that are designed to be used with clear lenses.
The idea behind these lenses is to open the possibility to retrofit other light sources in to the headlight to increase its performance.

You say you bought new headlights but they weren't very good.
What did you buy? Genuine or aftermarket?
All the aftermarket headlights I've come across are rubbish.
If you have genuine lights that are faded I can restore the lenses to as good as new, and with a normal washing routine, the coating can last up to 18 months. Occasional waxing will ensure and extend that.

The old saying, "you get what you pay for" is very true for automotive lighting. Globes and housings included. Name brand bulbs are noticeably better than cheap ebay, or autobarn specials. And genuine housings are much better than the aftermarket replacements, even TYC or DEPO that are the best of the aftermarket. There's just no match for OEM.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: NL Fairlane

QLD, Australia

MAD wrote:
If you wanted to stick with a halogen bulb, yeah. You would need to retrofit something like BA reflectors or similar that are designed to be used with clear lenses.
The idea behind these lenses is to open the possibility to retrofit other light sources in to the headlight to increase its performance.

You say you bought new headlights but they weren't very good.
What did you buy? Genuine or aftermarket?
All the aftermarket headlights I've come across are rubbish.
If you have genuine lights that are faded I can restore the lenses to as good as new, and with a normal washing routine, the coating can last up to 18 months. Occasional waxing will ensure and extend that.

The old saying, "you get what you pay for" is very true for automotive lighting. Globes and housings included. Name brand bulbs are noticeably better than cheap ebay, or autobarn specials. And genuine housings are much better than the aftermarket replacements, even TYC or DEPO that are the best of the aftermarket. There's just no match for OEM.

I see, I see. Well I'd be no good at retrofitting BA reflectors :shock: But I understand what you're saying... Yeah that's right, I bought aftermarket and yes :oops: from eBay. I didn't know lol and after trying to adjust them finding out that both of them could only go up and down and not left and right!!! The seller replied by saying Aust Post must have dropped them... Ha yeah ok I could kinda believe that but both of them being broken, nah I don't think so! haha
Unfortunately I don't have the original ones anymore... I fitted the new ones well over 12 months ago... If I knew about restoring them I would have probably gone with that option!

Completely agree with you mate, you do get what you pay for :lol: they just looked alright at first and even when installed to the car, but turning them on.. pffftt yeah....

Wonder what it would cost for OEM NL Fairlane headlights? :?: Probably don't make them anymore...

Cheers mate. I reeeeeeally appreciate your advice & expertise. 8-)

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

If you're willing to restore the headlights you can find decent second hand ones on ebay and the like. You just need to inspect first them to see what condition the reflectors are in.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ford Fairmont EF II

VIC, Australia

Are you making these yourself or paying someone else to do it? Because after I put the projectors in I want to make my own shroud using the vacuum technique for acrylic. But I don't have any equipment to do it. If you are, would I be able to send you my headlights, and pay you to make the shroud and send it back? If not, would you have any ideas for me.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

MAD wrote:
If you're willing to restore the headlights you can find decent second hand ones on ebay and the like. You just need to inspect first them to see what condition the reflectors are in.

MAD, I'm interested in keeping the halogen lamp look but with the clear lens. I don't think the HID would look right on the Lane. Would you be up to modifying the lens and projector on a pair :?:

8-)

A BIG job I know. No hard feelings if you're not up to it...

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

jaensch11 wrote:
Are you making these yourself or paying someone else to do it? Because after I put the projectors in I want to make my own shroud using the vacuum technique for acrylic. But I don't have any equipment to do it. If you are, would I be able to send you my headlights, and pay you to make the shroud and send it back? If not, would you have any ideas for me.

I will be making the first couple myself, then maybe get someone else to produce them.
What do you have in mind for the shroud?

FAIRV8 wrote:
MAD, I'm interested in keeping the halogen lamp look but with the clear lens. I don't think the HID would look right on the Lane. Would you be up to modifying the lens and projector on a pair :?:

8-)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'halogen lamp look'? Do you just mean the colour of the light?
HID bulbs come in many colours ranging from very yellow (3000k) to daylight (4300k) to white (5000k), then they begin to get blue after 6000k, you can even get green, purple and pink if that's what floats your boat.
There are halogen projectors available if you dont want to go with HID.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

MAD wrote:
jaensch11 wrote:

I will be making the first couple myself, then maybe get someone else to produce them.

FAIRV8 wrote:

8-)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'halogen lamp look'? Do you just mean the colour of the light?
HID bulbs come in many colours ranging from very yellow (3000k) to daylight (4300k) to white (5000k), then they begin to get blue after 6000k, you can even get green, purple and pink if that's what floats your boat.
There are halogen projectors available if you dont want to go with HID.

Sorry mate. I only want to change the lens to clear and to retrofit a reflector (as you stated earlier) ? Then fit a normal HID globe? I'm probably not explaining it properly. I don't think the halogen projector would look right... ?

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

MAD wrote:
jaensch11 wrote:

something like what has been done here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg_C_jtonZw

to start with im going to put the two projectors in each headlight and keep the halogen lens high beam, then after a while put a halogen projector in the high beam place. or maybe put all three in at once. im keeping the halogens so that i can still flash when needed.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Dohc el futura, ea falcon

VIC, Australia

how much for two clear lenses for el gli/futura? if i may ask

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I've had so much other stuff going on, I haven't had time to really get in to this.
And it looks like I'm probably booked out until xmas now too.

I'm still going to do this, it's just on the back burner for now.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

hey, just wondering if you had an estimate for how far away these are.

in the meen time, how did you get rid of the ridges in your set. im thinking that i will get started on mine so they can be on the car, and then when these come up i will buy a set, becouse i know that some how i will stuff up.lol

btw, i started cutting away to fit the 4 projectors i got off you, there is barly any plastic left in the hi/low part of the lens and case.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I can't really put a time on it yet.
There's a few projects around the house that I have been neglecting, that I now need to hurry the hell up with. Once they're done I will have more space, and time, to play with these.

To remove the lines I started on them with a drill and sanding disc of about 60grit I think, then went through the grades up to 2000grit. The tough part is keeping the lens a uniform thickness so that it doesn't distort when you look through it.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

yea, i understand. good luck with the house stuff.

thanks for the info.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 98 DL LTD | 71 XY

WA, Australia

Yeah so just chuckin in again. Still interested. Dont really wanna go the twin lights again. Didnt have dramas with em just that car was stolen and dont think theyd suit the ltd

RIP Scotty
Still Doin It For Ya Mate

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Things are coming along.
Projects around the house are nearly done, so free time will be available soon.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 6  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next