FG 19'' Typhoon rims on EF xr6 

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: FG 19'' Typhoon rims on EF xr6
Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:20 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

what dose the sticker on the door say? thats all a cop will look at.

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

They look nuts, i wanna get 19's on mine, i have an EB, does anyone no about speedo recalibration, if its needed! The tyre shops say no but they also say Typhoon mockups are a myth :roll:

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

ford-racer46 wrote:
They look nuts, i wanna get 19's on mine, i have an EB, does anyone no about speedo recalibration, if its needed! The tyre shops say no but they also say Typhoon mockups are a myth :roll:

From my understanding you do not have to worry about calibration if you go low profiles to suit original tyres eg to go from 65r15's to 17's you go 45r17 and I think for 18's you go 40's and so on. Thats what amazes me about the law, if you go say 15's to 19's and you get the correct profile tyre then the total diameter of rim and tyre is the same????? Why is it you can only go 2" above stock then? If you wanted to keep larger wheels than 2" bigger than stock, would you have to get an engineers?

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

yeh the 19's on mine are correct profile so my speedo is now pretty much spot on to gps, whereas with stockies it shows 5km/h under at 100

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:13 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XLS Ute

VIC, Australia

I think its funny how everyone seems to think that cops are stupid and don't know what sort of cars they are looking at.... Yeah you might have a GT tyre placard but you aint driving a GT!

Also i have read this type of thread heaps of times before or maybe millions of times like krisisdog said.

And the one thing that stands out the most is no one seems to worry about insurance!!

Rules for road worthyness and insurance are often quite different (insurance often has more restrictions). Whats your plan if you crash.... into a brand new $100,000 car? You think you're going to have time to get someone to drop wheels off at the crash site and swap them?? If your car doesn't meet insurance as well as road worthy conditions then you may as well pack your bags now... I hear its cold in siberia all year round.

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

Or very warm in Brazil!
But in S.A to clear it up youcan have what u want, as long as the tire do no hit anything at full lock either way and the profile is low enough to not change speedo readings

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:04 am 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

your cars not low enuf to rub on the guards. i get some rubbing mainly at slow speed at full lock but i need new shocks....

Attachments:
15052010065.jpg
15052010065.jpg [ 48.81 KiB | Viewed 411 times ]

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

79raven wrote:
So then these guys putting 20's on must be have stock rims put aside for pink slip right? I would love to go 18 to 20's on my Nc, but they were 15's stock. I have had alot of drama's with 17's as they are rare to come by thats all. For example I have a Tj Magna with jap import 17 race wheels, but no spare. I cannot get a spare 17 with the pcd required anywhere. No tyre places will do it as they have said most guys go 18's so they dont really do 17's and to get one rim will cost me BIG TIME. Also wreckers never have 17's, Ebay have minimal 17's and the tradie is the same. As there are alot of cars that are 15's stock why is it so hard to get 17's? Its a genuine question mate, Im not being arguementative

Nah, 20s are still legal as long as the rolling diameter is the same (and they dont exceed the width rule).
Honestly you arent looking hard enough on ebay.... there are a lot of 17s thatd fit on your magna, they run the same offset and PCD as AU + Falcons dont they?

GeZza200 wrote:
EL__Fairmont wrote:
In QLD you can only go 2in larger than the largest rims offered from factory(16in xr6, ghia).

if that was the case wouldn't you be aloud 19" because the Tickford Fairlane and EL GT has 17"

As mentioned it goes off the tyre placard on your specific car, FBTs and GTs wont be on it..

79raven wrote:
From my understanding you do not have to worry about calibration if you go low profiles to suit original tyres eg to go from 65r15's to 17's you go 45r17 and I think for 18's you go 40's and so on. Thats what amazes me about the law, if you go say 15's to 19's and you get the correct profile tyre then the total diameter of rim and tyre is the same????? Why is it you can only go 2" above stock then? If you wanted to keep larger wheels than 2" bigger than stock, would you have to get an engineers?

Partially correct. 205/65/15=235/45/17=235/40/18 etc, so if you keep the right profile the speedo will stay the same (within a few %).

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Yeah Kriss there are heaps of 17's but I want just one as a spare. Dont want to get a full set when all I need is one. Also with 20's you would have to have 18's as stock to keep within the 2" limit. Also you stated excactly what I said about wall height, the width of the tyre does not make any difference with anything except if they dont fit within the guards, so 205 or 235 or 245/65r15 is about the same size of 45r17's. Sorry man.
Bax, nobody ever thinks about insurance till its too late. You are right though. See we are comfortable with the way we drive but it can happen and all that dosh for insurance gone over wheels.Then you are up for the repairs, if your lucky. One thing to state too thats not been mentioned is unless you are going light weight wheels, your better off leaving stocks on or going smaller rims due to weight. Yeah 20's look f**k great but if it takes valueable seconds off 1/4 miles or means you get taken at the lights people wiil just say its a flashy piece of s**t.

Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1996 XH Uterus

NSW, Australia

Old topic but stumbled across it and it's raised a similar question I have.
I just got a clean neat XH ute.
I found some FG/FGX rims for sale at great price.
The is a big note on ad stating 'NOT FOR BA BF"

So my question is, did the FG/FGX offset go back to old school pre AU?

Will these go on an XH ute straight up?

(Legalities with diameters etc doesn't concern me, though I have already acquired correct rolling diameter)

Cheers in advance!!

Falcon Utes... Versatile 2 door sports cars.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2