Headlight Upgrade for EF XR 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: Headlight Upgrade for EF XR
Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon XR6

VIC, Australia

Hi Guy's,

I've finally had enough of the crap high beam on my XR and looking for ways to get more light output on high beam.

Low beam on the XR is very good with the projector headlighs so I'm happy with that, it's just the high beam is poor compared to other cars.

As most ED/EF/EL XR owners would be aware, high beam consists of only one pair of headlights (the inner driving lights) as the outer projector headlights are a fixed H1 single globe that stays illuminated through both low beam and high beam operation.

In effect the XR has a poorer high beam than what a normal EF/EL Gli Falcon has due to the GLi's combination of H4 low/high beam outer lights as well as integrated inner high beam driving lights.

What I'm after is a high beam that has a good depth to it and a broad spread of light.
The XR high beam while it doesn't have a bad depth the spread is very poor. (Not helped by the fact they are recessed so far into the front bar)

I have already upgraded the globes to +50 Halogens (Philips Vision Plus) and upgrading again to HID Xenon is on the list of things to do. At the least a low beam HID upgrade anyway.

Converting the high beam to HID will obviously give more light but I'm not sure the spread will improve all that much.
The halogen H3 bulb has the filament positioned transversly to the focal point of the reflector and this orientation gives the beam a wider spread.
Where the replacement HID Xenon globe has the arc positioned concentrically at the focal point of the reflector this would tend give more of a pencil beam effect.

Has anyone actually replaced the inner headlight assembly with something else, a driving light from another car or aftermarket replacement?

I'm also thinking of adding an additional set of driving lights mounted either in the lower part of the grill where the air intake is or in the outer vent holes of the front bar.

I'm curious to see what modifications/upgrades other XR owners have done to improve their lights in this area.

What are other peoples experiences with aftermarket driving lights on an XR? What are good ones to get?
I've noticed Hella make driving lights in HID, probably other manufacturers too.

Any comments or experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Alan.

95 EF XR6 Manual
Pioneer, Oz Audio, Butler, Image Dynamics, Audison
MEASQ - Aust Champion Intermediate Class 2006
MEASQ - Vic Champion Intermediate Class 2007
MEASQ - Aust Champion Intermediate Class 2007
MEASQ - Aust Champion Expert Class 2008
MEASQ - Aust Champion Advanced Class 2011 (Shared)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]