Fordmods Logo

HID headlights 

Page 38 of 42 [ 628 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:19 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

get EFd wrote:
data_mine wrote:
Anyone else have their HIDs 'die' when you turn on the highbeams (but not 'flash' them). They (the lowbeam HIDs) wouldn't come back on til I turned them off then on again.

Was quite disconcerting fanging around Mt. Ainsley (at 11pm last night with nothing but my parkers!)

Yeh i done it the other night,had my HIDs on then i put high beam on for a bit,then when i turned the hig beam off the drivers side HID went out.
So i dont use high beam anymore......like i need it hehehe

I have mentioned this problem several times earlier.
This is a very common problem with most systems.
Also very easy to fix.
To fix this problem all you need to do is build a new sub-harness.

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 98 DL LTD | 71 XY

WA, Australia

In the mean time guys dont push the hi beam leaver forward.

Thanks mav's ill be getting to werk

RIP Scotty
Still Doin It For Ya Mate

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:54 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

mavs19 wrote:
SIM wrote:
I have a single low beam filament hid set up.

with halogen bulbs when you pull back (to flash someone) all globes go on, in my case being a fairmont which use H4's for there low and H3 for there hi's. All filaments light up. thats 2 in the H4 bulb and the H3's turn on.

When you push the hi beam to have in fixed on, the H3's and the hi beam filament in the H4 bulbs turn on.. turning the low beam filament in the H4 bulb off.

I wonder why only sometimes it has no worries running the HID's and the H3's when i push forward. I do have a new battery and alt..

This Hi beam stuff is really not a problem that worries me, but it would be good to have things workin 100% if for some reason i needed them

Thanks.
There you go. You have exactly the set up I described earlier.

I don’t have access to the Shop Manual for that specific model. But, knowing Ford, they have probably used 2 relays. One for Lo and 1 for Hi beam set up.

This set up is good for the standard Hi/Lo system used on Fords , BUT UNFORTUNATELY, is the main KILLER of Ballast/Igniter /HID bulb in the market.

What ever you do, DO NOT push the Hi beam lever down for constant Hi beam.

I can help you to fix this problem once and for all, but you need to find and post a copy of Fords Shop Manual for your model. The Page called: Exterior Lighting.

I can then send you a "how to" so you can fix this simple problem.
You then can have HI beam both when you push and pull the lever. Without any problems.

Cost involved $2-3 and a bit of you time.

Image Image

There you go. both same, page btu I've highlighted, the differences between the H4 equipped fairmont/fairlane lights, and the non-H4 (H1 low, H3 high) the others get.

So what do we need to sort out to fix the highbeam problem. I'm thinking it'll be around the "high/low beam switch" joining the GR wire to the O wire with a diode.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:23 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

data_mine wrote:
mavs19 wrote:
SIM wrote:
I have a single low beam filament hid set up.

with halogen bulbs when you pull back (to flash someone) all globes go on, in my case being a fairmont which use H4's for there low and H3 for there hi's. All filaments light up. thats 2 in the H4 bulb and the H3's turn on.

When you push the hi beam to have in fixed on, the H3's and the hi beam filament in the H4 bulbs turn on.. turning the low beam filament in the H4 bulb off.

I wonder why only sometimes it has no worries running the HID's and the H3's when i push forward. I do have a new battery and alt..

This Hi beam stuff is really not a problem that worries me, but it would be good to have things workin 100% if for some reason i needed them

Thanks.
There you go. You have exactly the set up I described earlier.

I don’t have access to the Shop Manual for that specific model. But, knowing Ford, they have probably used 2 relays. One for Lo and 1 for Hi beam set up.

This set up is good for the standard Hi/Lo system used on Fords , BUT UNFORTUNATELY, is the main KILLER of Ballast/Igniter /HID bulb in the market.

What ever you do, DO NOT push the Hi beam lever down for constant Hi beam.

I can help you to fix this problem once and for all, but you need to find and post a copy of Fords Shop Manual for your model. The Page called: Exterior Lighting.

I can then send you a "how to" so you can fix this simple problem.
You then can have HI beam both when you push and pull the lever. Without any problems.

Cost involved $2-3 and a bit of you time.

There you go. both same, page btu I've highlighted, the differences between the H4 equipped fairmont/fairlane lights, and the non-H4 (H1 low, H3 high) the others get.

So what do we need to sort out to fix the highbeam problem. I'm thinking it'll be around the "high/low beam switch" joining the GR wire to the O wire with a diode.

I believe I have mentioned how to fix this problem 3 or 4 times.
I mentioned diodes and relays..... so YES, you are absolutely correct.

But, instead of cutting into your vehicles electrical harness. Just make a small sub-harness.
ONE for each side, in case the worst case scenario happens and something goes wrong, then hopefully only one side will be dead and you still got the other side to get you home.

See attached.
This sub-harness was designed for use with a bi-xenon projector retro, but in this case remove the solenoid bit.

Attachments:
01.jpg
01.jpg [ 60.88 KiB | Viewed 141 times ]

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

Every one elso was getting HIDs so i got a set for my sonata high beams 6000K , cost me $229 from E-bay the Kit was very easy to install everything was plug in. i know what you guys say about glare trhere is heaps more glare up higher. i regret not getting a set for the fairmont when i had her.

passanger high beam has HID in picture, huge difference in brightness.

Attachments:
P1000474a.JPG
P1000474a.JPG [ 173.24 KiB | Viewed 155 times ]
P1000466`1.JPG
P1000466`1.JPG [ 84.51 KiB | Viewed 148 times ]

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

mmmmm god the colour of HID just gives me a wet patch!.. ohh woops, why not do the lows?

RIP Scotty

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

SIM wrote:
mmmmm god the colour of HID just gives me a wet patch!.. ohh woops, why not do the lows?

Im quite happy with the low beams thay are realy good. it just lacked a little distance in the high beam. maybe one day i will.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I got a problem with one of my globes mavs.. i was a d**k head and went up to york for a little drive one nyt and played with my hi beam to much.

one of my hids was flickering a bit but now she's gone, havent swaped them yet but the top of it near the nose cone looks a little darkened

RIP Scotty

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:34 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

SIM wrote:
I got a problem with one of my globes mavs.. i was a d**k head and went up to york for a little drive one nyt and played with my hi beam to much.

one of my hids was flickering a bit but now she's gone, havent swaped them yet but the top of it near the nose cone looks a little darkened

Ouch.

Have you made the harness I posted or not?
That will help you to fix this problem and will save you any major costs of buying new bulbs and later on a ballast in future.

The only thing to do is to swap them and see what happens.
You may have cooked the salts in the bulb. So to say.

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yeah i swapped them and i guess im luckythat its just the globe.. what do i do now to get a replacment? contact the ebay seller? or will any H4 Low only 8000k HID globe do? keeping in mind i may be able to use the old sheild

RIP Scotty

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:05 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

SIM wrote:
yeah i swapped them and i guess im luckythat its just the globe.. what do i do now to get a replacment? contact the ebay seller? or will any H4 Low only 8000k HID globe do? keeping in mind i may be able to use the old sheild

Try the eBay option first.
Many of the non major manufacturers do not have access to the best equipment and can not afford the best quality material in their production of bulbs. Which obviously is reflected in their cheap retail prices.
So start with asking the seller for a replacement due to faulty material. And tell him you are not sure if the other side will also have the same problem soon.
If you have any problems with the seller, take your case to eBay and ask for their help to resolve the situation.
If you purchased via PayPal you got a much better chance to get a refund. Then you can buy real good stuff.

In regards to IF ANY HID bulb will do or not.
If the bulb was manufactured by any of the major OEM manufacturers i.e. Philips, Osram, GE.... and the ballast was also made by Hella, Bosch, Valeo,.... you could mix and match them without any problems what so ever.

But, unfortunately, most of the after market systems have their own stuff and use different connectors between the bulb and ballast….
So, if you mix and match different manufacturers, they may not correspond with each other.
I would advise against using a different bulb with an after market ballast.

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

sweet got myself 2 replacment bulbs on the way from the seller. $100 set of 2x :) 8000k

RIP Scotty

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

mavs19 wrote:
All you need to do is to manufacture a NEW cable harness for each headlight.
That will fix the Hi/Lo or flashing problems.
I think I mentioned something about this like 10-15 pages ago on this thread.

I am right in middle of retrofitting a complete AFS(Active Light System) on a Falcon BA. With all the sensors gizmos and gadgets and Dynamic Range Adjustment, Cornering Light System etc. etc.

I have started on a Tech Manual for how to retro THE Standard (not all the gizmos i.e. self levelling, dynamic range adjustment etc.) version of the process and as soon as it is done I may post it on this forum.

Here is few teasers of how it (should) look.
Notice the shroud/bezel?
Notice the LED Parking Lights?
Notice the beautiful colours on top of the cutoff line.
That is how you get colours. Not by buying a higher Kelvin TOY.

Wow I have just read the whole 29 pages on HID's and I thankyou for the knowledge you have shared.

Mavs19 It has been a great read but you have got me interested in your retro fit of the BA with "AFS"

Would you be able to explain in some more detail about how the following "gizmos" as you say work

Self leveling
Dynamic Range Adjustment (is this the same as self leveling??)
Cornering Light System (Does this mean that the lights shift to the right and left depending on the corner??? or is it like the fairlane corner lamps that light up when you turn the indicator on)

I am not after detail function but in a few words like is the cornering done on some sort of gyro etc etc???

Again thanks for the great write up over the 29 pages. I have learnt a number of things about headlights due to this thread.

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:49 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

samis wrote:

Wow I have just read the whole 29 pages on HID's and I thankyou for the knowledge you have shared.

Mavs19 It has been a great read but you have got me interested in your retro fit of the BA with "AFS"

Would you be able to explain in some more detail about how the following "gizmos" as you say work

Self leveling
Cornering Light System (Does this mean that the lights shift to the right and left depending on the corner??? or is it like the fairlane corner lamps that light up when you turn the indicator on)

I am not after detail function but in a few words like is the cornering done on some sort of gyro etc etc???

Again thanks for the great write up over the 29 pages. I have learnt a number of things about headlights due to this thread.

Samis, Thanks for your comments. I am glad that that my write up was helpful to you.

To your questions: (IN SHORT)

Self levelling: There are sensors in front and rear of the vehicle that read any movements that the vehicle makes horizontally.
i.e. If you take off, the nose of the vehicle is raised so therefore the projectors are lowered to compensate that movement to a set horizontal level.
Then if you brake the nose dives and the projectors are raised to a set level.
No it is not but it works hand in hand with Self levelling system.
Once you have adjusted the beam pattern to it’s best possible position , both in length, width and height, The Dynamic Range Adjustment System keeps that setting despite any movement the vehicle may make. It sometimes overrides the Self Levelling System since the range in question in not reached. Sort of like Auto focus on a camera.
In this case it means that the lights move to a certain max degree (usually 15 degrees) to left and right with the steering wheel movements.

The cornering light on a Fairlane and many many other vehicles using that system works as a simple light bulb added to the indicator light of a vehicle but prior to the relay.
They come on after you turn on the indicator on to signal a left or right turn and stay on as long as the indicator is engaged.

Hope this answers your questions.

So, what are your plans or maybe what have you already done regarding HID on your vehicle?

Let me know if you need further info or advise.

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I have always wanted to do HID Projector in my car purely for that extra amount of light you get with it.

I have converted a 5.25" sealed beam round headlights to a reflector H4 headlight and have been looking at converting that to a projector HID.

I will be retroing a set of AU and BA lights to projector HID down the track once I sort out the 5.25" round lights.

But after reading your thread I might look at converting the 5.25 to the reflector HID (maybe the Lexus RX330) which you posted a few pages ago. Just so the car keeps its normal look.

I need to get some measurements of the RX330 Headlights eg are the completely round as in the pics you uploaded earlier they look flat on one side. But you did say you had trimmed them. Will they fit in a 5.25" headlight etc etc

I am looking on ebay now for those refletor lights now.

I know you can buy 5.25" projector Hid for $500US but whats the fun in that.

Sort by  
 Page 38 of 42  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next