Fordmods Logo

Hub Adaptor illegal - NSW RTA 

Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

The wheels I got for my second car a skyline 1988 r31 were only available in front wheel drive fitment and to get them out to the guards I needed bolt on adaptors (25ml front and 30ml rear). Two licenced rego mechanics said they were ilegal and the NSW RTA also confirmed this. Reason being that the weight over the wheel bearings increased and can cause a sudden failure. the way it was explained to me was like holding a house brick at elbow length then holding the same brick at arms length. I'm not a mechanicle enginere but it does make sense. If you get engineer approvale and dont mind spending the money to do it then go for it but other wise be wary with out a piece of paper there not legal.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:59 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

I think that covers it.

But with regards to bolt on adapters, they aren't placing any more load on the wheel bearings than a zero offset (pre AU) rim. All the bolt on adaptors do to AU rims is turn it into a pre au fitment rim. There is no extra load on the bearings. Sorry to sound pigheaded and persistant.

Lets talk about how people with VNs fitted with 14 inch auscar rims and a gutted muffler, flying down the main street are not cool......

TEAM FAT RACING

TEAM LWB

Copyright (c) 2006 Landbarge Racing. FAIRLANE and COBRA are registered trademarks owned and licenced by Ford Motor Company.

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Im not saying I dont still run the spacers ( or adapters what ever you call them) it's just that im careful and whary that I dont crash.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

NL_50_GHIA wrote:
I think that covers it.

But with regards to bolt on adapters, they aren't placing any more load on the wheel bearings than a zero offset (pre AU) rim. All the bolt on adaptors do to AU rims is turn it into a pre au fitment rim. There is no extra load on the bearings. Sorry to sound pigheaded and persistant.

Lets talk about how people with VNs fitted with 14 inch auscar rims and a gutted muffler, flying down the main street are not cool......

Nah mate the thing is unlike alot of illinformed comments that have been posted here by people whom think they have an understanding to the legal things...stupid comments like "fuzion there illegal and don't listen to fuzion, he's a d***head." doesnt help anyone and if they actually looked into this theyd find that what they harp on about is wrong....spacers can be engineered to be legal but you wont find a legit engineer to approve it simple...they are unsafe....well hub adapters can and are engineered when properly done to be safe...legal..and road worthy.

With the engineers slip/report they can be waivered and passed on inspection with it be random RTA stop..rego whatever...this goes for police who seem them too....however not having the paper work isnt an advisable option..y take the risk to save a few dollars...reports range from $240+ so get ya turbo and what not done and get all your work legally approved and proof of it.....saves defects and your car impounded ;)

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:27 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Spot on Big Kev. Hub adaptors are illegal, but if you have an engineers certificate they can be authorised to be legal. If you buy them off the shelf, bolt them on without the certificate then you are in breach of the legislation.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Awesome, i think we've covered this one for now. My advice is, if you are getting a cert, get some other stuff done to avoid paying the $450 for just the bolt on adapters.

Sorry for the "for f**k sake" parts... nothing worse than me misguiding other people.

I agree with Big Kev and cds, after my previous posts, hub adaptors aren't legal unless you have a certified engineer approve them (without bribing him)

TEAM FAT RACING

TEAM LWB

Copyright (c) 2006 Landbarge Racing. FAIRLANE and COBRA are registered trademarks owned and licenced by Ford Motor Company.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

NL_50_GHIA wrote:
Awesome, i think we've covered this one for now. My advice is, if you are getting a cert, get some other stuff done to avoid paying the $450 for just the bolt on adapters.

Sorry for the "for f**k sake" parts... nothing worse than me misguiding other people.

I agree with Big Kev and cds, after my previous posts, hub adaptors aren't legal unless you have a certified engineer approve them (without bribing him)

well even with bribes u have the signed declaration these are legal and road worthy lol :P but yeh id advise when getting the job done get it done right by a well know pro that way u can feel safe no he thinks u can hook in without seeing a wheel come off and go trailing in front of u ;)

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6 5spd

Illegal or not, Is anyone here actually able to report a case of someone getting in trouble for them?

So many laws regarding 3rd party mods are blurry.
In the end it comes down to what you do with your car more than what you've done to it.

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I can say that bolt on spacers cost me a canary (unroad worthy sticker plastered on the windscreen) and $230 fine. Maybe the cop had a bad day or didn't get a root but I paid the price. Mind you they went back on, just try not to get caught.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Post subject: WTF
Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

revhead wrote:
I can say that bolt on spacers cost me a canary (unroad worthy sticker plastered on the windscreen) and $230 fine. Maybe the cop had a bad day or didn't get a root but I paid the price. Mind you they went back on, just try not to get caught.

what did he go over the car with a fine tooth comb?
Are you adaptors visible?

MEMBER 1390

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I have rims that are fairly open with black centres and the adaptors being aluminium realy do stand out it wasn't hard to pick. But they are back on and now I play well out of town.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Paint em :D

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Paint em :D

---whoops double post

EL XR6 5spd

Post subject: Hmm
Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

revhead wrote:
I have rims that are fairly open with black centres and the adaptors being aluminium realy do stand out it wasn't hard to pick. But they are back on and now I play well out of town.

I'm thinking of coming on the cruise up there this weekend but if the cops up there are a***hole it makes me think twice as I dont wont a defect notice.

MEMBER 1390

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I was defected in Bathurst theres no cops out here but still I play out of town. I hope you do come on the run this weekend it's going to be a good day hopefuly something different to the norm with areas that people normaly dont see or know exist. I think weve got around 8 cars from oberon maybe more and could be some from bathurst too. See ya in lithgow.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 5  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next