Fordmods Logo

Key guide in door lock popped out..WTF??? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

I replaced both the driver and passenger side locks because my 12 y.o son just couldn't get it thru his head that the key needs to be ALL THE WAY IN before you turn it (ie. he twisted both covers out in the space of 3 months). Then a few months ago my father in law did the same thing to the passenger side one again - AAAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!! Obviously there's a genetic DEFICIENCY on that side of the family!!

It's a bad design flaw - they should have made the cover hole round, not the same shape as the end part of the key!

If you suddenly notice a cover gone then it's a safe bet either someone tried to break in - or someone has tried to turn the cover with the key.

You can get a complete set of locks (passenger and driver side doors, boot and ignition - with 2 new keys) for about $100.

I don;t know how much individual locks are but you'd need to dismantle them and put the barrel discs in from the old lock so the original keys will work.

BTW, it's my understanding that altho not any Tibbe key will open any Tibbe lock (ie. these Falcon locks are Tibbe locks), any Tibbe key will LOCK any Tibbe lock - so if you ever see anyone leave their car running and hop out (ie. at the Post Office) then you could have some fun. It'd be a bastard thing to do tho wouldn't it? (at least hang around in case they start screaming about a baby being inside).

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2