Fordmods Logo

L/R signals on rear-view mirror 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: L/R signals on rear-view mirror
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 75th AUII Ghia

NSW, Australia

Has anyone attempted to put left/right signals on each rear view mirror on any car like fairmont for example. Just like the new cars these days instead of the signals just behind the front wheels on either side - they are on the back of the rear view mirrors? that would be interesting

Post subject: Re: L/R signals on rear-view mirror
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Yes. Tried this on EF mirror. Worked fine but got cleaned off by opposing car in narrow two lane Wellington road and have not repeated experiment.

There are a number of ways of doing it. One of the easiest (suggested to me subsequently) was to simply get a mirror off a late model Jappo / German / Euro box and mount it to the original triangle bit that sticks in the window of our Fords. I think I'll go that route next time as there are some nice curved L.E.D strips inset beautifully into curved polycarbonate that I just cannot compete with.

My tried and true technique of using angle grinder to chop strips out of existing plastic features (like the original Ford lights and tailights) and then inserting parts from Commodores, Celicas and Supras works fine... Looks great from a few metres away, but would never win "car of the show"....!

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

the curved flexible strips of LEDs idea maybe something. mazda has these on their cx7 thought ford would put them on territory- it kinda looks flash thats all

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Does look flash... The Mercedes was the first I think, and Honda is always close behind with their efforts... But yeah, every s**t box has them now and you could drill holes into current mirrors like this sort of thing... Link to my oxygen sensor readout

I drilled two 25mm (1 inch) holes using a hole saw and then used angle grinder to cut between them so I ended up with elongated strip which I then had a hell of a time getting lights to sit in and putting any sort of lens in front of. If I knew then what I knew now I'd try chopping the whole lot to smaller bits, inserting all the workings and then covering the whole lot with fibreglass.

(OR simply get the fully functioning units from a late model Jappo and molding fibreglass and bog to the original Ford mounts, as above...)

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Out there wagon

NSW, Australia

I suggest going and getting a set of EK honda civic aftermarket mirrors with the lights done as they are very close to fitting onto an e series

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

thats an idea the thing is you have to be able to see the flashing indicator not just from front but from rear - i want it on mine now

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]