Fordmods Logo

Legal car height. WITH body kit 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Legal car height. WITH body kit
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 Ford Eb Series 2

Gday ive got an XR body kit setup all round & was wondering do i have to have the car 100mm from the ground messured by the body kit to ground or anything underneth the car 100mm and down?

Also im thinking of chopping my Tie downs underneth the car right off with a grinder or bending them to make the 100mm clearance from under the car to the ground is that legal?
but the body kit itself is lower then 100mm to the ground i think..

Post subject: Re: Legal car height. WITH body kit
Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

i think its from the lowest point, but could be wrong

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:48 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

depending on your state??
but generally its 100mm on the lowest point of the car, this normally would be the exhaust system or the tie down points...

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:34 am 
Stock as a Rock

TROYMAN wrote:
depending on your state??
but generally its 100mm on the lowest point of the car, this normally would be the exhaust system or the tie down points...

victoria melbourne.
So if i just chop off the tie downs & tried to get a road worthy done on it again it would be sweet?..My old roadworthy when it got done they didnt even bother fully checkin everythin cuz everythin known to mankind on a car was changed over and they signed it imediatly but now i got mods to it :\.

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

There is more to it then the minimum height to lbe legal.
2/3 of the original bumpstop travel must remain.
600mm from the centre of the headlight to the ground must remain. (stupid law but it is there)
If you chop off the tiedowns take it and then start arguing the point the inspector will just knock you back on something harder to fix.
The cops or Vicroads are not going to look at the tiedowns they will look at the overall height which will still be to low , defect you and then go after the guy for doing a dodgy RWC.
Imagine how much fun you will have if you chop off the tiedowns , argue with the RWC guy about the ride height and he then decideds that you chopping the tiedowns is cutting a structural part of the shell and does you for that. Tie downs are connected the the rails so are technically structural.
How will you fix that?
Play the game and out a set of stock springs and shocks in to pass.
It will be easier in the long run.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

EVL098 wrote:
There is more to it then the minimum height to lbe legal.
2/3 of the original bumpstop travel must remain.
600mm from the centre of the headlight to the ground must remain. (stupid law but it is there)
If you chop off the tiedowns take it and then start arguing the point the inspector will just knock you back on something harder to fix.
The cops or Vicroads are not going to look at the tiedowns they will look at the overall height which will still be to low , defect you and then go after the guy for doing a dodgy RWC.
Imagine how much fun you will have if you chop off the tiedowns , argue with the RWC guy about the ride height and he then decideds that you chopping the tiedowns is cutting a structural part of the shell and does you for that. Tie downs are connected the the rails so are technically structural.
How will you fix that?
Play the game and out a set of stock springs and shocks in to pass.
It will be easier in the long run.

Yeah but i havn't told my insurance company about all the modifications yet :p so they will make me get another roadworthy check done & if i did do that by putting my stockys in it & then my lowered ones back in if i have a crash it will be voided by insurance?

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Well apparently my car is highly illegal haha..muffler like 50mm off ground but really crap stone & dirt driveway & one tie down i saw is bent & one scraped so now i think ima airbag the back anyone got a set & prices on em? :P

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:51 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Car will be illegal if any part of the car is lower than 100mm...so yes...you will fail roadworthy.

If you plan on doing doing modifications, make sure your insurance company will actually cover you for that, if they don't then why bother having insurance?

FordEb'L'unatic...I suggest you raise the car and keep it that way...it's not cool when you have canary on it...assuming you want to be cool.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

phongus wrote:
Car will be illegal if any part of the car is lower than 100mm...so yes...you will fail roadworthy.

If you plan on doing doing modifications, make sure your insurance company will actually cover you for that, if they don't then why bother having insurance?

FordEb'L'unatic...I suggest you raise the car and keep it that way...it's not cool when you have canary on it...assuming you want to be cool.

assuming i want to be cool?...not at all i couldnt care less i just always wanted to have a nice ride when i got older but im now looking at front & bag air bag suspension & New shockers since mine have died from lowered springs (Super lows)

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

unless engineered, airbag setups are illegal anyway.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

What does everyone think about this im not too sure.
When i changed to super lows i left the stock standard gas shockers in there & they have died Would that cause the car to become even more lower? Im wondering if i put ones designed for the superlows into the car it might bring it up in height a little bit cause im getting an absolute s*** load of cop attention and im gonna get pinched soon i know it lol Any thoughts?

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:08 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

uhh... :? ...I got nothing.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

phongus wrote:

since king springs website is useless as **** how much lower from standard height is King Spring 'Low' Not super low Just 'Low' because i know the superlows i got atm are 50mm lower and i wana find out the height of the Lows

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:26 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

FordEb'L'unatic wrote:
phongus wrote:

since king springs website is useless as **** how much lower from standard height is King Spring 'Low' Not super low Just 'Low' because i know the superlows i got atm are 50mm lower and i wana find out the height of the Lows

I think if your exhaust is hanging 50mm from the floor, low king springs won't lift it up much. You will have to go with standard height I think.

Also check the exhaust rubber mounting in the rear...it might be sagging. Get a new one and see if it lifts it up another centimeter or 2. You might get away with it if you put lows with a new rubber mount.

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

yeah im definatly not going off the muffler height in my drive way its like a roller coaster with rocks and dirt ive seen it sit alot higher on the road so i wouldnt go off that completely but yeh..Would anyone trade there lows for my super lows and maybe a little bit extra kesh thrown my way to like 50bucks?
Low+50$ --> my SuperLows You reckon they would? thats my best plan of attack at the moment

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next