Fordmods Logo

lower my ba?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: lower my ba??
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA mk2 futura

WA, Australia

i just bought my 2004 mk2 futura..its got a rear xr wing but its just got the factory 16" futura alloys.I intend on replacing these with a set of 17" xr8 or fpv rims and tyres in the next 6months but at the mooment cant offord to. i was thinking of lowering it though!, and was wondering if any one new approx how much it would cost me??? and how much you think i should drop it to make it look good but not completely drag its a*** over speed humps etc..??

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:53 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

I think the going rate is around the $230 mark, but dont ask me where from, shop around most mechanics can do it.
I'd wait until I got the new rims on first before I lowered it, but thats just me, not that it'd make any difference.

2003 BA Fairmont Ghia V8 www.bseries.com.au/acey xr8 catback

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

it cost me $200 for a set of Super Low King Springs and i lowered it myself... so id guess around the $300-$350 mark

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Be very careful lowering a BA. Mine was lowered (too low, no issue here)and had a defect issued. I put standard xr suspension back in it to go over the pits and that gave me a brow height on the rear of 360mm. According to the much respected member of the constabulary on his motorcycle the minimum brow height is 352mm. This gave me 8mm (unladen) to play with so sorry no passengers in the back, This then raised the question: was the suspension I fitted right? So I measured Toddys XR6t (same as mine) and his measured 356mm. So I rang Transport SA to find out where they got these measurements. Where I hear you ask? From Ford themselves...sounds to me like someone f**k up.....

BTW the Front was around the same (Brow height of 352mm, lowest allowable: 349mm

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Power: 141 rwkw

WA, Australia

Don't lower a Ba without shocks, it can easily become dangerous and jump all over the road.

Get some koni's with it, probably look at spending $1200 on lowering it properly including camber kit to be safe, it will handle incredibly better with the new stance, and shocks, and won't eat tyres.

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:27 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

Darkr wrote:
Don't lower a Ba without shocks, it can easily become dangerous and jump all over the road.

Get some koni's with it, probably look at spending $1200 on lowering it properly including camber kit to be safe, it will handle incredibly better with the new stance, and shocks, and won't eat tyres.

i agree, going Super lows or lower a Camber kit is a must, especially when you start playing with low profile tyres (18 inch and up) they get too expensive just to wear on one side!, i did that mistake, now im saving for new tyres, AND camber and shock kits.

Do it right the first time kiddies

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

QLD, Australia

Camber kits? I was told BA's don't need them because they are fully adjustable. Mines on ultralows rear and superlows front. I wouldn't mind the front being a tad lower though..

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR8 Sedan or a potato gun

QLD, Australia

I went through a horrific experience when I had my XT - a so called "expert" did a good job on the front strutts and springs, but thought it would be a great idea to put XR8 ute shocks in the back with the super low springs - whilst in theory this sounded great in reality though the shocks were at full compression which meant they were doing diddly squat...

a** end of the car bounced like a freaking jack in the box - and didn't take it long till the rear bushes were fooooked... I then went and got some pedders sports riders - changed the rear bushes and what should have cost me about $1100 - ended up over the $2500 mark. Do yourself a favour - got to someone reputable, and get them to do the job properly - may cost more than doing it yourself - but you won't see the pinch on your back pocket!!

Sadly "X-RATED" has been sold to my brother - no longer do I own my XT - but its a brief sadness!! I now have an XR8 and permanent boner - SCHWING!!

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:59 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2803/article.html
I want this kinda suspension setup on the ghia, except a bit more concealed perhaps. No doubt there's a few different types of systems around somewhere.

Any idea on how much something like this would cost? I'm sure someone on fordmods has done it :)

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

i got a set of Air Shockies in the rear of my fairy, when i got a full load of people i just stash an air hose on there at the nearest servo... and up she goes... then just press a button to let her down.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:31 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Would be nice not to have to visit a servo though, like when you need the car to be raised back up to avoid speed humps and curbs.

Got less replies then I thought. Maybe its more of a rice mod?

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

MilleniumFalcon wrote:
Would be nice not to have to visit a servo though, like when you need the car to be raised back up to avoid speed humps and curbs.

Got less replies then I thought. Maybe its more of a rice mod?

yeh but its still a far sight better then not having any adjustment method at all

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ba xt

VIC, Australia

a bloke near where i work has the airbag suspension in a vx ss airbags alone set him back 3000 then they had his car for a week setting up tanks compressors air leads etc the controller for it was 600 lowering springs had to get it engeneared has a self levelling system in it pretty much said it set him back around the 8000 - 9000 mark cool but f**k costly

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: BA XT 6

ACT, Australia

Darkr wrote:

Where do you guys get this kind of price for suspension parts???
Or it could be another Canberra thing where things are s**t expensive for everything all the time. I'm forking out almost $2500 for my whitelines and bilsteins and front swaybar :?

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5spd EF

just don't go only springs... stupid idea... get shocks, springs, control arms etc, don't go el cheapo because it may end up costing you more in the long run! And make sure your insurance will still cover you!! Look into it and ask around.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]