Fordmods Logo

Most effective way of cutting bonnet for scoops? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Most effective way of cutting bonnet for scoops?
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia

NSW, Australia

Installed a pair of EF bonnet scoops last night, but didn't have enough time to cut holes. I just wanna know what the most effective way of cutting holes would be, whether water entering my engine bay is an issue or how much it'll cost for a professional to do the job. I have an EL Fairmont, so the bulge might be an issue. I mainly out them on for the look, but I'd like them to do something as well.

Here's where they're sitting at the moment:

4.0L Tickford six, 1645b E-series custom grind, MLS gasket, performance valve springs, 3" stainless intake, extractors, 2.5" Lukey, 100cpi hi-flow, T5 manual, J3 tune.

Post subject: Re: Most effective way of cutting bonnet for scoops?
Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Always Falcons.

VIC, Australia

They're a fair way higher up the bonnet than xrs have them... And upside down...
I havnt done this yet, but am exploring how best to fit a el gt scoop to mine... So far I think id cut the skin, to sink the scoop in, and hopenfully have enough support/whatever you call the underneath bracing part, to bolt it to that without too much fuss...
I can take pics of how my xr vents fit up from factory if it might help?
And as far as water getting in, it just runs down the inner guard, no biggy...

Did they come with a base too, or just the vent part in your pic?

EF2 XR8 Lowered on Genuine EL GT 17", Slotted + Drilled all round, Custom retrimmed ghia interior, competition stereo, DiFillipo headers, hi-flow cats, single muffler 3", K&N, custom maf/induction and rear window venetian

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia

NSW, Australia

TFORD8 wrote:
They're a fair way higher up the bonnet than xrs have them... And upside down...
I havnt done this yet, but am exploring how best to fit a el gt scoop to mine... So far I think id cut the skin, to sink the scoop in, and hopenfully have enough support/whatever you call the underneath bracing part, to bolt it to that without too much fuss...
I can take pics of how my xr vents fit up from factory if it might help?
And as far as water getting in, it just runs down the inner guard, no biggy...

Did they come with a base too, or just the vent part in your pic?

I only really put them on for show (I wanted the front end to have a little more attitude, as the rear has the smoked tail lights and spoiler; just needed to be balanced out) and they didn't quite look right when I placed them where the XR's generally sit, so I put them at the top facing in a faux intake direction.

I need to buy a new bonnet anyway, as this one was bent in a rear end crash. I guess it was more of an experiment, but I'm thinking I might remove this one, replace with a new one and then work on it while it's off the car to make sure it all fits right. The vents didn't come with any base, just the screws to attach a nut to.

4.0L Tickford six, 1645b E-series custom grind, MLS gasket, performance valve springs, 3" stainless intake, extractors, 2.5" Lukey, 100cpi hi-flow, T5 manual, J3 tune.

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

The default position of the factory XR ones and having them round the right way is to create a low pressure area near the opening thereby drawing out the hot engine bay air.

The way you have it there, you would not create a low pressure area, so cutting holes probably won't make a lot of difference.

As for cutting the holes, I remember reading that someone on here (Ben I think) cut his sunroof hole with a jigsaw and a fine metal blade.. that sounds like the go.

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I wasn't saying they dont look good where you've got them now, hope you didnt take my comment the wrong way...

As far as cutting the holes, wherever you decide to place them, its relatively straight forward...
Trace outline of vent/scoop on bonnet (something that will clean off after) and mark bolt hole locations.
Id then work inside this outline, cutting a hole only big enough for the actual vent opening, if that makes sense? Leaving a good 1 to 1.5cm ish bordering the cut hole, and vent outline for support.

Also take into account that bonnets are 2 layered, theres the bracing/reo whatever underneath the "skin", and personally id avoid cutting that... Have a look underneath your bonnet and youll see what I mean.

Just use a holesaw to cut them, carefully, and then either a recipro saw, a hack saw, even tin snips to tidy it, doesnt need to be awesome, the vents are covering the holes, and id attach the mesh to the underside of bonnet.

How bad is your damage? If youre going to be cutting up a bonnet anyway, use this one for practice atleast, or repair it at same time?

EF2 XR8 Lowered on Genuine EL GT 17", Slotted + Drilled all round, Custom retrimmed ghia interior, competition stereo, DiFillipo headers, hi-flow cats, single muffler 3", K&N, custom maf/induction and rear window venetian

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Just to add a few things...

Obviously, use a centre punch...

Masking tape is your friend, id tape up everyting around where im cutting just for some added "protection"

Make sure you paint any bare steel, youll be amazed how quick rust will appear, especially if water gets between the skin and the cross frame. (forgotten what its called...)

A bit of sealant between between vent and bonnet wouldnt go astray either.

And lastly, id keep playing around with fitment locations, they dont have to sit 1 on each side or whatever, could have one scooping air in at bottom, and another above it near screen venting it back out again...

Hope I helped?
I look forward to seeing your progress.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]