Fordmods Logo

No front bumper causes injury? Defected for it. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: No front bumper causes injury? Defected for it.
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

This afternoon I got my first ever yellow Defect Notice. The reason I got pulled over was because the front nose cone was off my car (off as I'm repairing some damage to it). Instead I had the rebar (what ever the think black plastic bumper bar is that the front nose cone attaches to) with the licence plate screwed into this.

The reason for the defect as stated on the defect is "no front bumper - causes injury". I didn't argue with the cop as I'm pretty sure there's a lot more on the car he could defect if he wanted to be a prick, but I did point out that actually the bumper is there (the rebar is there and that's the strongest part of the bumper - the nose cone is just for aerodynamics and cosmetics as far as I know...).

But what I don't get is how it causes injury? If I hit a pedestrian with my car I'd imagine that they'd be pretty stuffed up regardless of whether or not I have a fibreglass front nose cone to also shatter on them.

Worst bit about it is that I have to take it to an Inspection Station to get cleared (which I imagine has a fee), he wouldn't put it down as self declaration - despite me telling him I would put it back on tonight.

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Yeah, that sounds pretty right. With the nose cone removed there are a heaps of sharp edges to cause injury and with newer cars the nose cone will assist the pedestrian to go up onto the bonnet rather than under the car (obviously a better result)!

Can you self declare in Tassie? Never heard of that before!! I reckon everyone would want that option!! :-)

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

wish that cop was up here to get all the ricers that drive around without bumpers to show off their "coolers".. :roll:

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

philaddis wrote:
Can you self declare in Tassie? Never heard of that before!! I reckon everyone would want that option!! :-)

For minor defects you can. E.g. got done the other day in Dads car for a brake light not working. Went home fitted a new globe, tested it and it worked, so signed the form and dropped it in to Service Tas the next day on my way to work.

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Just wack on a bull bar, im sure that will save pedestrians!!

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

joolz wrote:
Just wack on a bull bar, im sure that will save pedestrians!!

lol. I just fitted a dirty big silver one on my Land Cruser. I don't think a pedestrian would fair to well hitting that!

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

yeah there is snce to it, eg they have to be built a certain height, and it's not ust erodynamics, that and a plasticbumper has a lot more give than steel radiator support pannel

I don't think they could defect my 62 for that reasoning though, don't want to hit those bumpers 3mm plate doesn't have a lot of flex. hehe, same idea as a bullbar I guess but atleast the bullbar distributes force a little more.

Reminds me of the old yank checker cabs with the shock absorbers on them, oh and also why mini's are no longer small.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Yeah bumpers are also designed to allow a person to go over and ontop the bonnet, rather than under the car and dragged.

Pretty sure the old Mustangs were notorious for it. (nose up attitude and slanted front)

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]